DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XC Series UHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xc-series-uhd-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon announces XC10 and new codec XF-AVC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xc-series-uhd-camcorders/527716-canon-announces-xc10-new-codec-xf-avc.html)

Dylan Couper April 8th, 2015 10:25 PM

re: Canon announces XC10 and new codec XF-AVC

That's like saying... "let's go to Vegas" "ok but there's gotta be booze. "

Well OBVIOUSLY there would be leather!

Damn... Now I'm actually designing it in my head...

Emmanuel Plakiotis April 8th, 2015 10:41 PM

The 2 cameras are totally different.

Chris, I think you should split the discussion into two right now, before it becomes bloated and difficult if not impossible to follow.

Emmanuel Plakiotis April 8th, 2015 11:22 PM

Regarding the codec, Canon missed the opportunity to implement the newer H265 codec and leapfrog the competition.

Jack Zhang April 9th, 2015 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmanuel Plakiotis (Post 1882596)
Regarding the codec, Canon missed the opportunity to implement the newer H265 codec and leapfrog the competition.

Far too early to implement H.265 for production use. The ASICs don't exist yet to process it fast enough and the codec is very early stages and lacks a "High" profile.

Jurij Turnsek April 9th, 2015 12:50 AM

With Canon it's always a bunch of people looking for that one reason to make the product stand out from its peers and when it is not Canon it's always a bunch of people looking for that one reason to make it a no-go.

Noa Put April 9th, 2015 02:31 AM

While we still need to see more real world footage from the XC10 to see how it actually performs (I only have seen one sample video from Canon so far which did show some not so good highlight handling) but 2,5K is a very steep price for a hybrid camera with such a slow lens at the tele end and as I understand it doesn't take raw photo's either. Not sure who is going to spend this amount of money considering what the competition is offering, 1,5K would be a more reasonable price

Glen Vandermolen April 9th, 2015 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmanuel Plakiotis (Post 1882589)
The 2 cameras are totally different.

Chris, I think you should split the discussion into two right now, before it becomes bloated and difficult if not impossible to follow.

Yes, please, Chris, do this.
This thread is becoming difficult to follow. I'm never sure which camera someone's talking about.

Adrian Tan April 9th, 2015 04:27 AM

I'm one of the suckers sniffing around the XC10. I'm not happy about the price, not sold on the look, and not crazy about the f/5.6 at the tele end, but I'm still at least a little bit interested.

Presumably the price will decrease soon. We'll see.

The thing is, I don't have a 4K camera and I'm heavily invested in Canon, so the XC10 seems like a natural gateway drug. I suppose anyone who already has a C100 or C300 Mk I or even a 5D2 or 3 might be thinking the same way -- "I can use my C100 for most things. I can't afford a 1DC or C300 Mk II. For the rare times I need a 4K solution, there's the XC10. It's not as good value as an FZ1000 or GH4, but the colours should match more easily, and that's really important to me."

Anyone who has Canon DSLRs will likely have a lot of LP-E6 batteries lying around, so that helps also.

Andy Wilkinson April 9th, 2015 05:18 AM

Chris/Mods,

Another vote for splitting out this thread into sections:

New C300MkII
New XC10
New XF-AVC Codec

Mark Fry April 9th, 2015 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 1882634)
Chris/Mods,

Another vote for splitting out this thread into sections:

New C300MkII
New XC10
New XF-AVC Codec

Sounds like time for a Canon 4K sub-forum, in that case...

Chris Hurd April 9th, 2015 06:57 AM

Done: Canon XC Series UHD Camcorders Forum at DV Info Net

Chris Hurd April 9th, 2015 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmanuel Plakiotis (Post 1882589)
Chris, I think you should split the discussion into two right now

Doing. Stand by.

Edit: okay, I think I've split out all of the C300 Mk. II comments and those have been merged into an existing thread located at: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-ci...iscussion.html

So now, *this* thread is strictly the XC10 and its XF-AVC codec.

Pavel Sedlak April 9th, 2015 07:20 AM

Re: Canon announces XC10 and new codec XF-AVC

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmanuel Plakiotis (Post 1882693)

This is a distribution codec, only 8bit 420.

XAVC or XF-AVC have different purpose.

Andy Wilkinson April 9th, 2015 07:45 AM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for doing this all so quickly. One thing, in what is now Post 10 of this XC10 thread, I posted 2 highly useful walkaround videos that Canon USA issued yesterday about the C300MkII.

Obviously, those really belong in the new thread just about the C300MkII, not this thread. Cheers and keep up the good work.

Chris Hurd April 9th, 2015 07:51 AM

D'oh!! How could I have missed that? Fixed -- thanks,