DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon's new 50Mbps MPEG-2 Full HD (4:2:2) codec (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/472115-canons-new-50mbps-mpeg-2-full-hd-4-2-2-codec.html)

Chris Hurd February 10th, 2010 12:56 PM

The reason why it would be more expensive than the XH A1S is due to the high
probability that it will include HD-SDI, GenLock and TimeCode In / Out, putting
it more on par with the cost of the XH G1S instead.

However, I suspect that Canon most likely will offer a version of this camera
*without* those jacks, and its price most likely will be in line with the XH A1S.

Jose Ortiz February 10th, 2010 05:21 PM

I hope Chris. I hope that they have a model around the $4000. I can't wait to be on the NAB and see if I'm one of the first lucky guys to hold that baby on my hands!

Michael Galvan February 10th, 2010 05:26 PM

Do you think that they will release the XL H1S equivalent of this new camera at NAB as well? As in, will they release all of the models at NAB at the same time?

I am interested in whatever replaces the XL (or whatever the highest end shoulder configuration version they come out with).

David Heath February 10th, 2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert M Wright (Post 1483894)
Not everyone needs better low light performance than 1/3" imaging chips can deliver. The glass is pretty much a sure bet to be pretty dang decent, ..........

But no matter how good the lens may be at it's optimum aperture, you can't ignore the effects of diffraction or of depth of field. Hence it will always have a more limited iris range than a bigger chipped camera, and dof control will always be worse. That's quite apart from low light issues etc, and smaller photosites are also likely to make for worse dynamic range.

Robert M Wright February 11th, 2010 09:01 AM

I would guess on an XH-G2 w/SDI and an XH-A2 without (but probably have HDMI).

Chris Hurd February 11th, 2010 09:16 AM

It won't be "XH" since the model numbers change along with the format (recall the that HDV successor to the XL2 was not designated XL3 but rather XL H1). I believe the XH designator is tied to the HDV line, which is going away. My own guess is that the model number will be something like "XF" (the F is for flash memory), perhaps XF A1 and XF G1, but nobody outside Canon knows for sure, least of all me.

Similarly for the likely-to-happen interchangeable lens version, which will probably keep the XL mount... it won't be "XL H" as that was the HDV format. I'm guessing "XL F" instead (the F is for flash memory), as in XL F1 or XL F1A (without SDI) and XL F1S (with SDI). Something along those lines.

Evan C. King February 12th, 2010 02:26 AM

They shouldn't bother with two models anymore, the sony NXCAM give you HDSDI for roughly $5000cad while the XHG1 is like $8000cad, it makes no sense. No way in the world these ports are worth a $3000 premium now, this isn't 2005.

Floris van Eck February 12th, 2010 03:10 AM

I agree with you on that one Evan.

Monday Isa February 12th, 2010 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan C. King (Post 1485050)
They shouldn't bother with two models anymore, the sony NXCAM give you HDSDI for roughly $5000cad while the XHG1 is like $8000cad, it makes no sense. No way in the world these ports are worth a $3000 premium now, this isn't 2005.

Actually I think they should still do the 2 models. The XHG1 type model should come down in price instead. NXCAM still has the AX2000 sibling which is in the 3's which is the price range of the XHA1.

Chris Hurd February 12th, 2010 07:34 AM

I think Canon will probably offer two models since that's what Sony is doing (with the NX5 and AX2000). At the SuperMeet presentation last week in San Francisco, Joe Bogacz said that the new camera will have a very attractive price point. I agree with Evan that the days of a $3,000 premium for SDI are finished. I'll bet they'll try to hit the Sony prices.

Leon Lorenz February 13th, 2010 10:28 PM

When Canon releases their interchangeable lens model, I hope for a sharp viewfinder like Sony's EX3, that the XLR jacks are on the side and NOT on the back of the camera like on the XLH1. Nothing is worse than your jacket brushing the mic cable and ruining your audio. Also the camera must be approved by National Geographic and Discovery HD for 100% content before I'll consider buying. I plan on upgrading from my XLH1 and I hope Canon won't disappoint.

Leon Lorenz
Canadian Wildlife Productions: Grizzly Bears, Bighorm Sheep in Alberta & BC Rockies DVD Videos

Tony Davies-Patrick February 14th, 2010 04:51 AM

I actually prefer the XLR jacks on the back rather than the side.

The main improvement would be to the viewfinder to help improve manual focussing.

Steve Phillipps February 14th, 2010 06:00 AM

And you'll also need a proper focus ring for that too!
Steve

Tony Davies-Patrick February 14th, 2010 06:51 AM

I've got used to the MF rings on the 20X and 6X lenses, and the iris ring on the 6X is a nice addition; although I also got so used to using the aperture adjustment tab on the XL camera bodies that it doesn't now overly bother me when using a lens without an iris ring.

The wide ring on the black XL 16X MF lens does provide a nicer manual focus control, although full manual lenses do tend to provide a better 'feel' compared to the MF rings on fully electronic lenses. Similar could be said about the difference in MF between older Nikkors and later AF and 'G' Nikkors.

I do a lot of manual focussing, and almost 100% of tripod work is in MF, but there are times during run-n'-gun shooting that AF is a big help. Decent AF & IS, revolving viewfinder plus motorized zoom during filming are probably the four major items I'm going to miss more than anything if I ever finally go full 100% DSLR for my filming.

I'll be interested to see the price in UK for the "XL-F" interchangeable lens version. I've got a feeling that it will be even higher than the previous XL-H1s. It will also be very interesting to see if they bring out one or two completely new HD lenses with the body, or just a slightly updated 20X.

Dom Stevenson February 16th, 2010 01:12 PM

I saw the mock-up version at the DVexpo in London today. The lens is considerably bigger than the XHA1, as is the camera generally. Of course it was in a perspex box so i didn't get to see much, but there was an XHA1 near by and it definitely looked significantly larger. A rep said it had L quality glass too, but they had little other info on it. An Apple guy was going through the FCP workflow with some clips Canon had sent them, but unfortunately i only caught the tale end of it. So not much to report, but i'll have another look on Thursday if i make it down to Earl's court.