DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Recommend me a case for the XF305 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/489582-recommend-me-case-xf305.html)

Nigel Barker January 1st, 2011 06:08 AM

Recommend me a case for the XF305

Our XF305 just arrived yesterday & we are getting to grips with all the complexities of operation. So far it seems just wonderful & thanks to Doug Jensen's DVDs we have saved a hell of a lot of time in trying to figure out what the hell everything means in the manual.

I would like to get a decent case to transport the camcorder. We used to have the very nice aluminium cases from Magna for our XH-A1s but I cannot find any custom case specifically designed for the XF305. Dedicated Aluminum Hard Case for Canon XH-A1 XH-G1 XHA1s XHG1s

Does anyone have recommendations for a decent hard shell plastic or aluminium case for the XF305.

Tom Bostick January 2nd, 2011 02:55 AM

probably wont be the exact size for an xf ,but its hard to go wrong with pelican

Michael Assadourian January 2nd, 2011 02:57 PM

We have 8 XF300's here at work, with a few more following, and we went with the following:

Pelican™*Products*iM2720*Pelican Storm Case

We ordered it with pick foam, so that way I could custom tailor the inside of the case to snuggly fit all the non-vital components of the camera. Items like the remote, CD's, etc.

If you like I can take a picture of the case and how i tailored the foam inside. I can have the picture by Tuesday.

Thanks,
Mike

Nigel Barker January 3rd, 2011 07:24 AM

Mike, thanks a lot I really would appreciate a photo just to see how much space there is around the camera when it is sitting in the case. I had been hoping that it would fit in a carry-on case but it looks like that will be a just a bit too snug. It's not essential that it fit in a carry-on as we are unlikely to be flying with it any time soon. The Pelican cases are really nice & it seems that the Storm is only a little more than the regular Pelicase but even more rugged.

Michael Assadourian January 4th, 2011 09:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hi Nigel,

My apologies. Firstly, I have got the case model wrong. It's actually the Pelican Storm Case iM2620. So this case is of medium size factor, and should be cheaper than the one I previously linked to. Plus, the latches on the Pelican Storm cases are so much nicer, than their regular Pelican cases. Here is the correct link:

Pelican™*Products*iM2620*Pelican Storm Case

When you order the cases, you can either order pick foam (as shown in the pics) or velcro style padded linings. With the pick foam, I custom tailored the fit for the camera, accessories, manual. You can see it's pretty deep, so I could store the manual in a upright position, which was really nice.

Students sign these cameras out for on location shoots, etc, and the cases have held the cameras just fine. There's plenty of padding around all the sides, top and bottom to keep it from bouncing around and causing any damage. Besides, the XF is very well built camera. All our past Canon's (especially our lot of 40 GL2's) have been workhorses, and have held up to hundreds of students. To me, that's pretty good, and I expect the XF's to be the same, especially now that there's no moving tape mechanism.

And now onto the pictures. These were taken with my iPhone. I hope they help convey size,fitment, etc.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Mike

Nigel Barker January 5th, 2011 01:08 AM

Michael,

Thank you that looks exactly what we are looking for with the lens hood fixed on so no assembly is necessary & it's just ready to go as soon as you lift it out of the case. It's just a shame that iM2620 doesn't come in the bright yellow of the iM2720.

Andy Solaini January 5th, 2011 11:59 AM

Sorry to thread hijack but anyone got any recommendations for a backpack type bag that will fit the XF300 in? I am ideally after one that will also fit am Canon 1DmkIV camera and 3 lenses in as well!

Andy S

Charles W. Hull January 6th, 2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Solaini (Post 1604712)
Sorry to thread hijack but anyone got any recommendations for a backpack type bag that will fit the XF300 in? I am ideally after one that will also fit am Canon 1DmkIV camera and 3 lenses in as well!

That would be a pretty big backpack for that much gear. But check out Pro Camera Bags, Camera Backpacks, Digital Camera Bags: Think Tank Photo. I use one of their sholder bags for my DSLR stuff and really like it. And I plan to get something from them for my XF100 if it ever ships, probably a sholder bag or belt pack.

Glen Vandermolen February 13th, 2011 10:23 AM

Does anyone have a recommendation for a soft-shell - nylon type carrying case for the XF305? Just the simple shoulder-strap type will do.

Vincent Oliver February 14th, 2011 02:24 AM

I use the Kata CC193 for my XF305, great case and it can be carried on as hand luggage when flying.

Jeff Anselmo February 14th, 2011 12:29 PM

Hi Glen,

For a soft case, shoulder bag I use this Petrol bag: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/531227-REG/Petrol_PDRB_3_PDRB_3_Dr_Petrol_Bag.html
The Petrol is a bit snug, even after arranging the included dividers. (By "snug" I mean that the height of the XF cam is barely touching the enclosure. Although, I could unscrew the shotgun mount.)

I can fit in a couple extra batteries, portable light, the Nexto, shotgun mic, some cables, and that's pretty much it. I would've liked a bigger bag, but that meant a heavier bag; which in our case I need other folks, like my wife, to be able to carry it :)

Best,

Matt Ford February 14th, 2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 1618019)
I use the Kata CC193 for my XF305, great case and it can be carried on as hand luggage when flying.

Is there much room for other gear in the bag?
I find most carry-on bags a little tight!
Will be looking for the perfect flight bag at BVE, Im on a mission!

Vincent Oliver February 15th, 2011 12:09 AM

I can fit the 305 in (with hood attached) batteries, radio mikes, Rode NG2, panel light, filters, memory cards and my sandwiches. It's not the biggest bag available but it's just right for my needs.

Robin Davies-Rollinson February 15th, 2011 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 1618327)
I can fit the 305 in (with hood attached) batteries, radio mikes, Rode NG2, panel light, filters, memory cards and my sandwiches.

It sounds ideal Vincent - I'll look into it (-although, would I be able to fit my demi-baguette in as well? ;-) )

Matt Ford February 15th, 2011 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 1618327)
I can fit the 305 in (with hood attached) batteries, radio mikes, Rode NG2, panel light, filters, memory cards and my sandwiches. It's not the biggest bag available but it's just right for my needs.

Thanks Vincent. Sounds just what I need to get the Beast and a few vitals in the overhead locker!

Nigel Barker March 28th, 2011 06:49 AM

Re: Recommend me a case for the XF305

I was looking around the local DIY superstore the other day & found a great semi-rigid canvas toolbag at a bargain price (just under £40/$65). It's really well made, very tough & there is a holster for a saw or other weapon:-). All it needs is some extra foam or cloth padding to nestle the camera. I am going to buy a couple more for carting around other gear like leads, microphones, lights, batteries etc). It should look rather snazzy when I turn up with matching luggage.
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.js...3790&x=26&y=10

Robin Davies-Rollinson April 1st, 2011 10:45 AM

Good find Nigel.
I shall hie me to my nearest B&Q and investigate further!

Jeff Anselmo April 1st, 2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1632540)
I was looking around the local DIY superstore the other day & found a great semi-rigid canvas toolbag at a bargain price (just under £40/$65). It's really well made, very tough & there is a holster for a saw or other weapon:-). All it needs is some extra foam or cloth padding to nestle the camera. I am going to buy a couple more for carting around other gear like leads, microphones, lights, batteries etc). It should look rather snazzy when I turn up with matching luggage.
JCB 500mm Heavy Duty Soft Sided Tool Bag, 28509189

Hmm, I wonder if they ship to Texas? Shipping would probably cost the equivalent of a PortaBrace bag :)

Nigel Barker April 5th, 2011 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson (Post 1634146)
Good find Nigel.
I shall hie me to my nearest B&Q and investigate further!

They are easy to find as I forgot to mention that they are JCB designer-ware in their trademark bright yellow & black.