DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Must have accessories for an XF300 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/493402-must-have-accessories-xf300.html)

Paul Owens March 21st, 2011 01:34 PM

Must have accessories for an XF300

I went and did it. I had B&H put an XF300 on hold for me. I had planned to get an XF100 but for what I was going to do the extra zoom and the fact that I can have it now made the difference. What are the MUST have's with this camera? Here's my list.

1. 4 16gig Sandisk Extream cards (I can't afford the Extreme pro or hoodman cards yet)
2. 1 extra battery (the big 975)
3. 82 mm UV filter
4. Rain cover
5. Shotgun mic with windscreen and cable
6. Case
7. Tripod

My first gig is a Lacrosse tournament. There will be 3 1 hour games for me to tape. Would this be adequate?

Glen Vandermolen March 21st, 2011 02:06 PM

Re: Must have accessories for an XF300

Congras on your new purchase. I have an 305 and love it.
To add to your list, I have a Sennheiser wireless system. I had to buy the cold shoe mounting system for it, as there's no place to hang a wireless receiver on the 300/305 body.
A 16Gb CF card holds about 40 min. of full HD video. I'm not sure 4 of them willl cover a full 3 hours of shooting.

Paul Owens March 21st, 2011 02:14 PM

I had planned to shoot at 25mbps not the full 50. i thought i had figured that at 70 minutes per card. Maybe i should get 6 to be safe. 2 per game.

I'm going to get the Lav set-up next phase. I've got a cheap Shure set that i can use indoors. For this shoot the client doesn't care to hear what's being said on the field. He just wants to be able to hear the hits and some crowed noise all for affect.

Galen Rath March 21st, 2011 06:31 PM

A lens controller (LANC) makes life more fun using a tripod.

Tim Bakland March 21st, 2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen (Post 1630146)
Congras on your new purchase. I have an 305 and love it.
To add to your list, I have a Sennheiser wireless system. I had to buy the cold shoe mounting system for it, as there's no place to hang a wireless receiver on the 300/305 body.
A 16Gb CF card holds about 40 min. of full HD video. I'm not sure 4 of them willl cover a full 3 hours of shooting.

Glen -- can I ask you about which cold shoe mount you use for the XF300? I'd love to hear what solution has worked for you.

Glen Vandermolen March 21st, 2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bakland (Post 1630237)
Glen -- can I ask you about which cold shoe mount you use for the XF300? I'd love to hear what solution has worked for you.

Sure.
I got the Sennheiser CA2 SHOEMOUNT ADAPTER f/EW RECEIVERS - SECA2 from B&H Photo. It works with a Sennheiser receiver that has a wire belt clip.

Josh Dahlberg March 22nd, 2011 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Owens (Post 1630148)
I had planned to shoot at 25mbps not the full 50. i thought i had figured that at 70 minutes per card. Maybe i should get 6 to be safe. 2 per game.

Personally I would go for 32gb cards: it's really nice being able to record 160 mins at full 50mbps without having to worry about swapping/managing cards. That's just my preference.

I also wouldn't contemplate shooting 25mbps with the XF unless you absolutely have to - you're not only throwing away 422 colourspace but also recording at lower resolution: 1920x1080 with 422 colour is the whole point of this camera.

Enjoy!

James Redmond March 22nd, 2011 09:16 AM

What is a must have for me is a Nextodi 2700, basically a portable, self contained hard drive that I can transfer my Compact Flash cards to and then reuse the CF cards. I only have 2 CF cards and use the Nextodi as the storage device. Once its on there then I connect the Nextodi to a laptop and transfer the footage via esata to another hard drive so I have it stored in two places.

Good luck, James

Jeff Anselmo March 22nd, 2011 05:37 PM

Hi Paul,

I agree with most of the replies here; especially the Nexto (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/613210-REG/Nexto_DI_ND270500G_Nexto_eXtreme_500GB.html).

Also, depending on what other types of projects you'll have (and if you'll be sticking with sports), you may need some kind of shoulder support. I actually have the Tiffen Steady Stick, which works well with my XL2 (yet to try it out with the XF300). But I'm looking to get Olof's shoulder system: Canon 300/305 tripod plate, shoulder brace

Oh, and I'd buy at least TWO extra large batteries.

Best,

Lou Bruno March 22nd, 2011 06:11 PM

Hoodman EX KIT PRO: I attach the unit to the LCD and can now place the camera on my shoulder.

Robin Davies-Rollinson March 23rd, 2011 12:43 AM

Lou,
Just checking that you don't get any cut-off on the LCD screen, there's no masking at all?

Lou Bruno March 23rd, 2011 07:45 AM

Very, very slight. One must move the loupe into position.

I have the SAFE ZONE in the display as well. Works fine. I cradle the camera with my left hand and have it placed on my shoulder. Very light, considering I am coming from a large 18 pound rig in the past.

Robin Davies-Rollinson March 23rd, 2011 01:12 PM

Thanks Lou, it sounds like a good buy.
One more question, since I wear spectacles, is there an adjustment for focus so that I could use the eyepiece without wearing them?

Lou Bruno March 23rd, 2011 02:02 PM

Yes...there is a diopter. I wear reading glasses. No problem.

Paul Owens March 23rd, 2011 02:44 PM

Oops... good thing everyone else is having a good conversation here. I got a deal I just couldn't pass up on a used 4 times (by a buddy of mine) XL H1s with a full kit of gear. He hates to shoot video and wants to get out of it and just edit. I hope I made the right choice. We'll see.

Thanks for the help guys.