DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   WB white or Grey? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/493448-wb-white-grey.html)

Andy Solaini March 22nd, 2011 02:18 PM

WB white or Grey?

In the past I've been mainly a stills guy and was just wondering if it's best to use a grey card (like an SLR) or white card to white balance a camcorder like the XF300 when out in the field?

Allan Black March 22nd, 2011 03:10 PM

Re: WB white or Grey?

Andy check out ExpoImaging - ExpoDisc also great for mixed lighting. Avoid the cheapies off Ebay.

Cheers.

Glen Vandermolen March 22nd, 2011 04:21 PM

I use a white card, or whatever's white in the vicinity of the camera.

Colin McDonald March 22nd, 2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 1630528)
Andy check out ExpoImaging - ExpoDisc also great for mixed lighting.

Allan, I've looked at the expodisc product pages a few times and I still haven't quite got the hang of how it works. Maybe I'm a bit thick but would you mind explaining in a few words what it does? For instance, do you still need to use cards for WB when using the expodisc?

Tim Bakland March 22nd, 2011 06:35 PM

According to my read of this:

ExpoImaging - ExpoDisc Neutral

.... you twist it onto your lens, point at the light source and take white your white balance as per which camera you're using.

Can anyone testify to how this performs vs. cards?

Mike Ayotte March 22nd, 2011 06:52 PM

Hi
I use an Expo Disc with my Canon GL-2. If you look at their site carefully you will see that you should move the camera to the subjects lighting & WB unless you are in the same light.
Mike

Allan Black March 22nd, 2011 09:37 PM

Much better Tim and you can do it yourself quickly and accurately.

Col, no cards .. I frame the shot then clip the E-disc onto the lens and do a custom WB. As long as I don't move the cam and reframe in different light, I use the same WB. Time comes into it for me, setup etc. imo shooting with a flat custom preset and grading in post is just a waste of time and resources and my stuff goes into archives for use by other programs.

Also read where you should buy an Expodisc large enough to cover the largest diameter lens you have, including stills cam etc then you can use it for all, but large ones probably mean you have to slip the lens hood off your vidcam, another no no. When you sell your cam sell it with the E-disc, after you demo it, might help the sale :)

Cheers.

Colin McDonald March 23rd, 2011 01:22 AM

Thanks Allan and Tim, I obviously either didn't find the right page or read far enough down it. Got the idea now. Seems better than white cards in the rain anyway!