DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   What's the deal with MXF on Mac's (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/495045-whats-deal-mxf-macs.html)

Andy Solaini May 11th, 2011 05:56 PM

Re: What's the deal with MXF on Mac's

Some good advice in this thread already, thanks for the replies.

I got my Mac the other day but haven't set it up yet. Can someone point me in the right direction for some good tutorials (video or text) on FCP? I am a complete novice in FCP and Macs but have some knowledge of Vegas and Prem Pro.

Philip Lipetz May 11th, 2011 06:20 PM

If you do not have FCP yet wait a few weeks and get the new FCP X in June for $299.

Andy Solaini May 11th, 2011 06:53 PM

I am wondering how well it will run on my Mac because it's a 2010 Core2Duo one not a new i5/i7. My brother runs the current FCP pretty well on his Mac which is three years old so mine might be ok with FCP X.

Philip Lipetz May 12th, 2011 06:19 AM

No one know for sure what the system requirements of FCPX are, but it does use the graphics card for acceleration and early hints are that it will be significantly faster than FCP 7, and will process in the background as you work much more efficently than the current FCP.

Steve Maller May 14th, 2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1643070)
BTW, if you DO choose to convert to ProRes, then it will take longer to import and the file sizes of the clips will be bigger -- but there will be no benefit. You won't gain anything by converting to ProRes, so just import the clips as "native" and you will love the workflow.

What I'm seeing with FCP7 is that I can definitely work in the native codec with the nominal re-wrap that Log and Transfer does, but the video on the timeline shows with the green bars, indicating that it's only semi-rendered. It seems to go fast enough, but when I told Log and Transfer to transcode to ProRes, there were no green bars, meaning that FCP7 was working (more) optimally.

Doug Jensen May 14th, 2011 03:19 PM

It really depends on your sequence settings, doesn't it? I usually don't have to render when I'm editing an HD timeline because I try to use sequence settings that match my raw footage whenever possible. It sounds like you are using sequence settings that are different than your XDCAM raw footage (Canon files are actually XDCAM), thus FCP needs to do some quick rendering. In either case, I prefer to leave my raw footage in the native codec because the files sizes are a lot smaller and the ingest is faster.

Sam Young May 14th, 2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Maller (Post 1649145)
What I'm seeing with FCP7 is that I can definitely work in the native codec with the nominal re-wrap that Log and Transfer does, but the video on the timeline shows with the green bars, indicating that it's only semi-rendered. It seems to go fast enough, but when I told Log and Transfer to transcode to ProRes, there were no green bars, meaning that FCP7 was working (more) optimally.

I do not have the green render lines on my footage after log and transfer with the XF plugin, it is gray and ready to go. Maybe your sequence settings need to be changed?

Steve Maller May 15th, 2011 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Young (Post 1649215)
I do not have the green render lines on my footage after log and transfer with the XF plugin, it is gray and ready to go. Maybe your sequence settings need to be changed?

Gaaack. My bad. I had a color corrector filter dropped on the clip.
Apropos, it's interesting that FCP thinks the right compressor for my Sequence is XDCAM 422 24P 50mbps. Is that the same as MXF?

Sam Young May 15th, 2011 08:18 AM

My MXF clips also say XDCAM HD422 720p50 at 50Mb/s.

Reinhard Kungel May 20th, 2011 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajiv Attingal (Post 1647121)
It is where media manager comes into play.You can't trim your timeline to .mxf using media manager.
Will FCP X change this scenario?
Is .mxf supported in FCP X?.

Rajiv

In FCS I and II media manager was working well: I could shorten clips from different sources (DV, analog, Digibeta, etc.). With FCS III media manager doesn´t work well in my setup and it is not possible to shorten DV, HDV, XDCAm-Clips. Has anybody made better experiences?

Reinhard

Doug Jensen May 20th, 2011 07:09 AM

Yes, Media Manager on Final Cut Pro 7 does shorten XDCAM clips and Canon clips on my computer.