DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   I am experiencing poor, grainy footage with the Canon XF100, please help ! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/509240-i-am-experiencing-poor-grainy-footage-canon-xf100-please-help.html)

Chris Andrews July 12th, 2012 10:38 AM

I am experiencing poor, grainy footage with the Canon XF100, please help !

Hello, I recently purchased a Canon XF100 and went out to test it today. the image quality on the cameras LCD screen is superb , however once I upload the clips onto my computer they go all grainy and are very poor quality. Here is an example:

I recorded this at 50Mbps 1920x1080 50i. I was wondering if anyone had experienced this problem or if anyone knows how to fix it.

Thanks
Chris Andrews

Chris Hurd July 12th, 2012 11:14 AM

Re: I am experiencing poor, grainy footage with the Canon XF100, please help !

Hi Chris,

Which program mode was used to record this? (P, Tv, Av, etc.)

Have you reviewed this material on an HDTV, by connecting the camcorder via HDMI cable?

Was the ISO setting on Auto?

Chris Andrews July 12th, 2012 11:51 AM

Thanks for your reply, I have plugged the camera in to a HDTV with a HDMI cable and the footage is still pretty grainy.
As to what program mode it was recorded in I don't know I'm afraid , I'm very new to using cameras , I have browsed through all the menus on the XF100 and I cannot find anything to do with program mode.
Also there are no options for ISO adjustments that I can find on the camera or in the manual , but I did have the camera on full manual and I adjusted the aperture, gain, white balance etc and whilst recording the image was great and upon playback on the camera itself the footage looks fine.

Chris Hurd July 12th, 2012 12:24 PM

Sorry, my error, ISO = Gain. That was my fault.

What were the specific shutter, aperture and gain values for this clip?

Chris Andrews July 12th, 2012 01:03 PM

Right , after finding out exactly what settings everything was on I may have found the problem , the gain was on auto and was very high at 24.0dB, the shutter speed was 1/50 (is that too slow ?) and the aperture was set at F8.0. Do you think these setting could be causing that grainy quality.
Thanks
Chris

Roger Averdahl July 12th, 2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Andrews (Post 1743091)
Right , after finding out exactly what settings everything was on I may have found the problem , the gain was on auto and was very high at 24.0dB, the shutter speed was 1/50 (is that too slow ?) and the aperture was set at F8.0. Do you think these setting could be causing that grainy quality.

Yes, the auto gain is the issue.

Chris Andrews July 12th, 2012 02:14 PM

Looks like the problem was the auto gain , thanks for helping me find the problem guys!

Doug Jensen July 12th, 2012 02:20 PM

NEVER use auto-gain under any circumstances. If you must increase the gain because you are in a low-light situation, always do it manually so you are in control of the setting and can choose when it is changed.

1/50th is not too slow for 50i. That's right where it should be under normal shooting conditions.

However, an aperture of f/8 should always be avoided on any 1/3" camcorder due to diffraction. You'll want to try and keep the aperture at f/4 or wider for best image quality. All 1/3" camcorders suffer from the same issue.

You also might want to try shooting 25P since interlaced is a little old-fashioned now. :-)

MASTERING THE CANON XF305 & XF300 CAMCORDERS

I hope that helps get you on the right track.

Sam Young July 12th, 2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1743107)
NEVER use auto-gain under any circumstances. If you must increase the gain because you are in a low-light situation, always do it manually so you are in control of the setting and can choose when it is changed.

1/50th is not too slow for 50i. That's right where it should be under normal shooting conditions.

However, an aperture of f/8 should always be avoided on any 1/3" camcorder due to diffraction. You'll want to try and keep the aperture at f/4 or wider for best image quality. All 1/3" camcorders suffer from the same issue.

You also might want to try shooting 25P since interlaced is a little old-fashioned now. :-)

MASTERING THE CANON XF305 & XF300 CAMCORDERS

I hope that helps get you on the right track.

Thank you for those precious tips Doug, I never realized that f/8 will already lead to poor quality images.

Mark Andersson July 12th, 2012 09:32 PM

These settings will fix you up:

In Color Matrix settings dial R-G to -8.
Set sharpness to -5 and Coring to +8.
Also set Noise Reduction to 2.
Don't go over +6 gain
Use 1/25 only in very low light.

Joseph Kitzmiller July 14th, 2012 06:56 AM

Doug, your training videos look great. Do you have a downloadable option or only physical DVD?

Doug Jensen July 14th, 2012 03:07 PM

Hi Joseph, just DVDs at this time.

Mark Andersson July 14th, 2012 03:21 PM

You could pick up a ND filter to keep your Iris less than f8 in bright conditions such as:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/10429-REG/B_W_65063807_58_mm_Graduated_501.html