DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Rear LANC Controller for Zoom and Iris? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/512154-rear-lanc-controller-zoom-iris.html)

Tim Polster November 17th, 2012 11:19 PM

Rear LANC Controller for Zoom and Iris?

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody has seen a rear LANC controller for the XF300/100 that can control zoom as well as iris?

I have only seen a controller from Canon (Z2000?) that seems to have these controls but it does not look mountable on a tripod handle. I am looking for a controller to mount on a tripod arm that has Iris control along with the traditional zoom.

Thanks

Les Wilson November 18th, 2012 06:41 AM

Re: Rear LANC Controller for Zoom and Iris?

It's the Canon ZR2000 and it does mount on a pan bar. It does not control iris. I can't say I've ever seen a LANC controller do iris. From the Canon site:

"Plug this wired remote control directly into your camcorder's LANC terminal and enjoy the ability to manage Start/Stop, Focus, On-Screen, AF/MF Switch, and AE Shift all from a distance. "

According to the Canon site, these are the camera's it's compatible with:
-- GL2
-- GL2 Refurbished
-- VIXIA HF G10
-- VIXIA HF G10 Refurbished
-- VIXIA HF S30
-- VIXIA HF S30 Refurbished
-- XA10
-- XA10 Refurbished
-- XF100
-- XF100 Refurbished
-- XH A1
-- XH A1 Refurbished
-- XH A1S
-- XH G1
-- XL H1
-- XL2
-- XL2 Refurbished

Tim Polster November 18th, 2012 08:41 AM

Thanks Les. I guess that narrows my choices down to zero!

I would think somebody makes a LANC controller that has an iris adjustment, but I have yet to see one.
Story of my life...Looking for something that has not been made yet....

Les Wilson November 18th, 2012 11:13 AM

In broadcast settings, the iris is controlled centrally in the control room not by the shooter. Right hand has pan bar plus zoom on thumb. Left hand has pan bar and focus.

LANC is a consumer thing. You can study the protocol here: The SONY LANC protocol It seems focussed on other capabilities. Also, it takes two to tango. The camera must be built to support the particular LANC feature as well as the controller. That is, the exposure mechanism would need it's servo controllable from the LANC circuitry etc

A creative substitute that *may* help you would be to use the AE control to manipulate the auto exposure to do what you want. It's indirect and maybe a little unwieldy but I don't know what you have in mind.

Tim Polster November 18th, 2012 07:43 PM

I spoke to Canon and the rep told me the XF100/300 can have their iris controlled remotely via LANC. But he did not know of any controllers.

I need to have a bit of control when the camera is up on a jib or high stand. I am fine with autofocus but auto iris is a no go for me.

Trevor Dennis November 19th, 2012 04:44 AM

Just wondering why you can't adjust iris with your left hand while using the LANC controller for start/stop/zoom/focus with your right hand? I use a Manfrotto 521Pro controller, but only use it for start/stop power and zoom. It can adjust focus, but it feels so much more responsive adjusting focus and iris with my left hand.

Interesting that Canon say it is possible though. BTW I see Manfrotto have quite a range of 'remote' controllers now.

http://www.manfrottodistribution.cn/...%20LEAFLET.PDF

Les Wilson November 19th, 2012 06:35 AM

The Manfrotto 521PFI indicates it has iris control (as does the pan bar remote) but it's for Panasonic.

Harm Millaard November 19th, 2012 06:50 AM

Is this what you are looking for: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/816009-REG/Manfrotto_MVR901EPLA_RC_Pan_Bar_EX.html

Trevor Dennis November 19th, 2012 06:16 PM

I don't know how long this line of Manfrotto remote controls have been out, but apparently not long enough to garner any Amazon user reviews. Which is a pity because that is generally a good place to find real end user feedback. There are nine user reviews at B&H including two for XF300, one of which states limited functionality.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/816009-REG/Manfrotto_MVR901EPLA_RC_Pan_Bar_EX.html
Manfrotto MVR901EPLA Remote Control For Canon And Sony LANC Cameras

I must say I am tempted by the MVR901EPLA but it would be nice to know how compatible it would be with specific cameras. Then again, how much functionality would you want from a LANC controller? I discovered my 521Pro's ability to ruin focus completely by accident, when my shot was mysteriously going soft while I (thought) I was using the zoom control. I spent a lot of time trying to find all the wrinkles with that controller with my XF300 after that, and am pretty sure it can’t do ‘push focus’ which is a pity.

Setting maximum zoom speed with the 521Pro is clunky IMO, and I can see it would be heaps better using the pot on the above controller. I also wonder if the ‘RET’ button plays back the last five seconds — as advertised — or the entire last clip, which would be more useful, and as the XF cameras have a control that does exactly that, you’d think it doable.

So far, all my usage of my XF300 has been outside, and I did not want to add the weight of a monitor, but if you were using a monitor, I imagine you’d be standing further back, and remote control of iris and focus would be useful.

Tim Polster November 19th, 2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Dennis (Post 1764143)
Just wondering why you can't adjust iris with your left hand while using the LANC controller for start/stop/zoom/focus with your right hand? I use a Manfrotto 521Pro controller, but only use it for start/stop power and zoom. It can adjust focus, but it feels so much more responsive adjusting focus and iris with my left hand.

Interesting that Canon say it is possible though. BTW I see Manfrotto have quite a range of 'remote' controllers now.

http://www.manfrottodistribution.cn/...%20LEAFLET.PDF

I am looking for a way to control the iris while the camera is on a jib or high stand. Thanks.

Tim Polster November 19th, 2012 09:12 PM

Thanks for the Links. The controller does look like it controls iris. Shame it is a tripod handle as I will not be using a tripod for these applications. The iris buttons might be a bit strange but they would work.

Iris control often seems to be an after thought with sub-broadcast level productions never having 'somebody in the truck' to control exposure. Maybe I could make this work.

Mark Watson November 26th, 2012 07:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For the XF300/305 the ZR-2000 can control the iris via its AE Shift dial by going into the menu Other Functions, Custom Function, ZR-2000 AE SHIFT, and select Iris. Don't know about the XF100/105.

Just checked the manual, works on the XF100/105 also, page 59.

Mark

P.S. Cable length is 9.75 ft.

Tim Polster November 26th, 2012 04:40 PM

Thanks Mark. That looks like an iris control but the term AE makes me think of auto exposure. Do you think this is just manual iris adjustment?

Mark Watson November 26th, 2012 06:12 PM

Tim,

If you want remote manual aperture control, you can get it on the ZR-2000, and I'd think any other LANC remote that has the AE Shift function as well.

By going into the Custom Function menu on the camera, you can choose what the AE Shift dial on the ZR-2000 does. Choices are to adjust (manually) either the exposure compensation or the aperture value.

I haven't tried it yet, having just placed my order with B&H for the XF305 (along with ZR-2000 and NEXTO DI 1501 750GB) yesterday :-)

Mark

Tim Polster November 26th, 2012 08:52 PM

Thanks for pointing this out Mark. Solution found. Hope you enjoy the XF305. It makes beautiful images.