DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   How to attach Rode shotgun to XF100? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/515118-how-attach-rode-shotgun-xf100.html)

John Dorschner March 18th, 2013 02:03 PM

How to attach Rode shotgun to XF100?

I just got a Rode NTG2 and a Rode SM3 shock mount. The SM3 doesn't want to slide into the shoe mount on top of camera. What do I do? Would an SM5 fit the XF100? Or should I just try to force the SM3 into the shoe mount? I see in one thread that there's a "cheap shoe adapter" to get XF100 and Rode to fit together, but I don't know exactly what that is or how to find one. Any/all help greatly appreciated.
-- John Dorschner, Miami

Rainer Listing March 18th, 2013 03:47 PM

Re: How to attach Rode shotgun to XF100?

Force it you'll likely snap it off. And you can't file it down like with the Videomic. Best is to buy a $5 ball mount off Ebay and replace the Rode foot.

Jonathan Levin March 18th, 2013 08:12 PM

John,

You will want to learn all you can from the all things audio forum, incredible minds there,

I don't know what you are shooting but the rule of thumb is the last place you want your mic is mounted on the camera: distance all wrong, camera noise.

The ntg3 looks like a great mic, I was a d still am considering a ntg3 for my kit.

I'd keep the mic on a stand or boomed and really get to know the space you are shooting in, pick up a book on production sound.

Jonathan

Rainer Listing March 19th, 2013 03:35 PM

Jonathon, the XF100 is a small portable pro camera. It wouldn't be the first choice for someone who didn't know where to put a mic in a setup. If you're using the camera solo for ENG or run and gun, you don't get much choice where to put the mic. The ob mic is good, but stereo wide, not so good if you have to pick up a speaker.

John Dorschner March 20th, 2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainer Listing (Post 1785073)
Force it you'll likely snap it off. And you can't file it down like with the Videomic. Best is to buy a $5 ball mount off Ebay and replace the Rode foot.

Thanks ... not sure what ball mount is. Is this a Rode device? What exactly do I look for on eBay?

Rainer Listing March 20th, 2013 03:22 PM

Search on Ebay for "ball mount" in cameras. Do not look in "cars", those ball mounts are for trailers and weigh several kilos. Sorry. Sarcasm. Couldn't help myself. Choose a small cheap plastic one. This is a pretty standard mod. Here's a YouTube video that gives details

John Dorschner March 21st, 2013 03:34 AM

Thanks! Ball mount video really describes it.

Annie Haycock May 11th, 2013 05:30 AM

I was using my Rode NTG-3 on the XF100 the other day with no problems - slid right onto the hotshoe. No obvious camera noise (except when zooming or focussing - I wasn't recording while zooming or focussing) - though I was in a noisy enviroment (wind through leaves, water running. bird calls, etc).

Ann Bens May 14th, 2013 02:29 PM

<<Rode SM3 shock mount. The SM3 doesn't want to slide into the shoe mount on top of camera.>>

That is because it will slide into the hotshoe one way only.
Look closely at the plate. It is broader on one side.