DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   lost data (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/518685-lost-data.html)

Mick Fox September 3rd, 2013 09:58 AM

lost data

Hi All

I recently put my 32gb Sandisk extreme in my Canon DSLR from my Canon XF100 by mistake. Now when I put it in the video camera it says check data and initializing card recommended. I know the data is still on there anybody have idea how to get the footage back. It's some product footage I've done for someone and could really do with retrieving it. The Canon XF utility program that came with it wont read it from the PC either.

Thanks in advance

Mick fox

Paul Mailath September 3rd, 2013 10:30 AM

Re: lost data

Great feeling eh!

there are a number of posts similar to yours on here and a number of recommendations - I use a utility called recover my photo's. It works for amy media and does a great job. there are any number of card recovery utilities - some better than others.

Your data should still be there - formatting a card usually just means wiping the directory so the card 'thinks' it's empty.

Mick Fox September 3rd, 2013 11:08 AM

Thanks Paul

I knew the data would still be there I have not formatted the card at all just put it in the DSLR and switched the camera on and realized straight away wrong card. just wondered on peoples recommendations for a good safe program to download. How do I find the other posts on the same topic on here, Oh and like you say great feeling.

Mick fox

Don Palomaki September 3rd, 2013 01:06 PM

At one time SANDISK had a recovery utility bundled with the card.
Some new cards came with a 1-year license for a utility.
First thing is to lock the card to inhibit further writes.

My experience is that performance of the utilities is spotty, and some work with photos but haev problems with video. Some may work with AVCHD but not other formats.

Pete Bauer September 3rd, 2013 06:16 PM

Mick, is it correct that the entire XF100 folder/file structure from your product shoot is still on the CF card? If that's true, most likely your MXF files are untouched, in which case you could copy them using a card reader to your computer.

I'm sure there are other programs that will read the plain MXF files absent their folder/file structure, but I do know that recent versions of Adobe Premiere and Prelude definitely will do. If needed, they have a 30 day free trial.

Mick Fox September 4th, 2013 01:16 PM

Yes Pete I'm sure the data will still be on the card, but not even the PC can see anything from the card in the reader. It just says the card must be formatted before it can be used, putting it in the DSLR has corrupted the file structure I think. I will have to send an email to Canon's CPS and see if they can help in any way.

regards

Mick fox

Trond Saetre September 11th, 2013 07:56 AM

If all other options fail, there is a company in Norway which specialize in data recovery.
They are expencive, but might be worth it.

Ibas AS.
Phone: +47-62810100
Email: recovery@ibas.no

Mick Fox September 15th, 2013 04:25 AM

Thanks Trond

I will keep that in mind if all else fails and we don't get time to re shoot.

Regards

Mick