DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Making the move, possibly? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/520765-making-move-possibly.html)

Doug Jensen December 31st, 2013 04:43 PM

Re: Making the move, possibly?

You're right to exclude the Z100 from the selection process. It's an interesting camera for what it is, but it's not a viable alternative to the XF300 or PMW-160.

Steven Davis December 31st, 2013 04:49 PM

Hey Doug, what camera do you have that uses the XQD cards?

Doug Jensen December 31st, 2013 05:58 PM

The PMW-F55 right now. I've been able to record 50Mbps HD422 XDCAM and 4K XAVC simultaneously to a single card without any problems. Lots a lot of data. And I don't even have the latest, greatest, type of XQD card.

I have also used them quite a bit with the PMW-200, 160, and 100. I think they would work with my EX1 (new in 2007) if I updated to the latest firmware, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Rock solid and nice little cards. Even when you just pick them up you can tell they are a physically better built card than any of the others. The closest equivalent in size and construction are the CF cards, but those scare me after I've had two SanDisks fail me.

Steven Davis December 31st, 2013 06:43 PM

Thank you Doug. Happy New Year!

James Manford January 1st, 2014 09:41 AM

Happy new year folks!

What camera did you choose in the end then?

Rob Cantwell January 1st, 2014 11:31 AM

A bit OT but, pity those XQD cards aren't as reasonable this side of the pond!! a 32 Gb XQD + adaptor is €371compared to the Sony SxS 32 Gb which is €336.
For economic reasons I've been using a 64 Gb SxS in slot A and a Sony MEAD-SD02 Adaptor with a Sandisc 64 Gb SDXC card, in slot B as a backup on my PMW 200, havent need to use it yet as the SxS seems to be big enough for what i'm doing.
One thing that always concerns me with CF cards (and I use them a lot) is the possibility of borking any of the 50 receiving pins in the camera.

CF technology having been around since the mid 90's is getting old by now especially with the advent of cards like XQD which are the furure i suspect.

Al Bergstein January 1st, 2014 11:40 AM

Have shot with both CF cards and SD cards for at least four years. Always Sandisk extreme pro or earlier equivelant. Never a card failure from CF. SD cards failed once in a while. Have shot in rain and snow, and 100% humidty. Main thing, get a dual card system, and record to both at once on one time only paid or unique shoots.

Steven Davis January 1st, 2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Manford (Post 1826243)
Happy new year folks!

What camera did you choose in the end then?

Hey James, I'm still deciding. Between the Z100 and XF300, it's a 1900.00 difference based on units and accessories.

Doug Jensen January 1st, 2014 01:22 PM

Interesting. Let us know how it all shakes out and what your reasons were no matter which way you go.
I can't imagine a scenario where those two cameras would be the two choices.

Steven Davis January 1st, 2014 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1826259)
Interesting. Let us know how it all shakes out and what your reasons were no matter which way you go.
I can't imagine a scenario where those two cameras would be the two choices.

Yeah Doug, it's one of those, 'go with reliable' or 'plan for the future' I have the Sony Z1u which has performed flawlessly, a true rock solid camera, the precurser to the Z100 in a sense.

I just read this, Canon XF300 / XF305 Camcorder Review which is a great review of the XF300. Probably one of the best reviews I've read on a camera in a long time.

Les Wilson January 1st, 2014 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1826135)
Les, if you go back and re-read my post you'll see that I'm recommending that he compare the XF300 to the PMW-160. Both of those cameras have 1/3" sensors and similar specifications. Apple to apples.

<insert sound of hand smacking forehead> Sorry. I bobbled that one.

Doug Jensen January 1st, 2014 08:39 PM

No problem. I've been guilty of that on more than one occasion myself.

Steven Davis January 16th, 2014 08:51 PM

Well, I received my XF300 demo unit today. I laughed a little because the first camera in my business was a Canon GL2, and this one reminded me a little of it.

Does anyone have current information on how long your battery lasts in a long day? Couple of hours, more?

Chris Stevens January 17th, 2014 05:40 AM

I've had an XF300 for 3 years now & get almost a day out of a BP-975. Of course it greatly depends on how much you use the zoom servo, lcd screen & phantom power etc. Environmental temperature seems to have little effect on battery run times, which I fine strange. I shoot a lot in the Med in the summer, as well as northern latitudes like Finland. Canon batteries are expensive but reliable in my experience.

Steven Davis January 17th, 2014 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Stevens (Post 1828183)
I've had an XF300 for 3 years now & get almost a day out of a BP-975. Of course it greatly depends on how much you use the zoom servo, lcd screen & phantom power etc. Environmental temperature seems to have little effect on battery run times, which I fine strange. I shoot a lot in the Med in the summer, as well as northern latitudes like Finland. Canon batteries are expensive but reliable in my experience.

Thanks Chris. My current setup, I get 4 hours max out of my batteries, the older batteries, not even that much.