New Canon XF605! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old October 7th, 2021, 07:22 AM   #16
Wrangler

Re: New Canon XF605!

FWIW: Two days ago B&H said they now expect to receive the XF-605 around November 4th.
Old November 8th, 2021, 11:46 PM   #17
Regular Crew

hi everyone. I want to retire my "ancient" XF300 and XF100 which served me well...I have used my C100 mk2 for some conferences and live events but I would prefer a real camcorder. This XF605 looks promising...has anyone purchased it? I would love to see some real world footage shot by professional videographers. I have seen some videos on youtube. Some look ok but I can't be sure yet. Thanks
Old November 10th, 2021, 04:15 AM   #18
Wrangler

I saw MidWest Photo in Ohio says they have it in stock. So it should be appearing at other vendors and in users hands any day now as well. It is caught in the supply chain issues thanks to the ongoing COVID-19

Reviews are scarce, all I've seen were brief and based on demo units when announced last summer. I expect to see real user reviews before the end of the month.
Old November 11th, 2021, 11:23 PM   #19
Regular Crew

great news! I can't wait to see real world footage from good videographers. Thanks!
Old November 18th, 2021, 06:03 AM   #20
Major Player

I am really tempted to order one of these to go along with my mirrorless kit, over an FX6.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2021, 08:40 AM   #21
Vortex Media

Hmm, XF605 vs. FX6?

That's an interesting pair of choices because they are completely different kinds cameras. It's like someone standing in a showroom and not being able to decide between buying an SUV or a sports car. Two totally different vehicles for totally different kinds of driving. It seems to me that how/what you shoot would be the deciding factor between those two specific cameras.

If the XF605 handycam style of camera appeals to you, then you might compare it to the Sony Z280.

If the FX6 big sensor, removable lens style of camera appeals to you then you might compare it to similar types of cameras from Canon, Red, Blackmagic, Arri, and Panasonic, etc.

It just seem strange to me to be considering buying two totally different cameras that are designed for totally different shooting styles and purposes.
Old November 18th, 2021, 04:46 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Not to mention the prices. If you’ve got the coin to buy an FX6 + a couple of good lens, then you could probably buy 2 XF605s.

Might be some mileage in that, depends on what you’re shooting.
Cheers.
Old November 20th, 2021, 09:26 AM   #23
Wrangler

Starting to see a few new reviews (within the past week or two) , such as "opening the box" so apparently they are shipping some of the early pre-orders now. Still not generally not available for immediate shipment on new orders.

Google and checks dates of the postings. Early comments appear favorable. Saw one that compared low light performance against. the XF705.
Old January 12th, 2022, 09:43 PM   #24
Trustee

Hi Everyone,
Seriously looking at upgrading from my Sony PXW X160 to this camera.
I shoot multi cam events with the Sony and other GH5S's.

Has anyone seen a lowlight test with the 605 compared to a GH5S (or some other popular camera)?
TBH this camera ticks all my boxes but mainly concerned about sharpness and low light noise.
I've heard some people say that Canon sensors aren't particularly sharp and go for a softer film look....
I'm down to the Panny CX350 or the 605.
Thoughts?
Old January 13th, 2022, 09:24 AM   #25
Wrangler

is the closest I've seen to a side-by-side test of the XF605 compared to another camcorder under low light conditions.

There are a lot of user shot informal tests of the XF605 on youtube but nonet are very "calibrated."

My observation (based on older DV and HD gear) is that the Canon poor light image defaults to being warmer (and more pleasing to me) than Sony. But I have not investigated the current batch of new models.
Old January 13th, 2022, 03:53 PM   #26
Trustee

Thanks Don,
I found this one too-
Which pretty much has turned me off this camera. It appears my 6yo Sony is no worse for dirty background noise than the new Canon.
The search continues.

Small rant.
I don't know why people do "Tests" with any part of the camera in auto mode?
There's no mention of shutter speed in either video so you would assume its automatically going to the slowest shutter speed possible, 25 or 30, to let in the most light. But would you ever shoot like that?
Show me 100 shutter with a poorly lit white wall in the background next to your talent...That will show what the sensor can do.
Old January 13th, 2022, 07:50 PM   #27
Wrangler

The issue of course is what is the actual light level. The camcorder settings tell us aperture, shutter, and gain used to produce the image, but not the actual amount of light on the subject which is the key. How low was low.

]It might help if we were told the light level in LUX, or perhaps the nominal film exposure for normal processing of film that could translate to a light level: e.g., a 18% gray card, 1/15 sec at f/1.8 with Kodacolor Ultra Max 400 film.

There is no substitute for adequate light. And if the thermal noise is cleaned up in the camcorder what did it do to the fine detail in the image? And how many black cats eating licorice in a coal bin will I be shooting?

The only way to know for sure is hands on tests. Then one can assess the impact of internal processing in the camera and available custom picture settings as well. Built in noise reduction may also impact fine detail that is not obvious with flat subjects/ plain white walls and/or youtube videos.
Old March 2nd, 2022, 09:12 AM   #28
Wrangler

Not much discussion on the XF605! Not selling, or few issues?

Wonder when/if the street price will start to moderate.
Old March 2nd, 2022, 09:19 AM   #29
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
Not much discussion on the XF605! Not selling, or few issues?
Erm, could be BOTH, or ONE or the OTHER or NEITHER?
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2022, 05:11 PM   #30
Major Player

Markus Pix at
does a tongue in cheek comparison of the XF605 and a Sony RX100vii, but makes some good points. There's little point in 4:2:2, 10 bit, log for ephemeral sports, ENG, YouTube or even weddings and very few people need XLR into the camera. Canon's G60 is lighter, half the price and mostly adequate if you want a camcorder form (it's unavailable in Aus). I'm thinking a 1" sensor is adequate and there is a role and a niche for an individually owned higher spec run and gun documentary camera which is what the 605 could be if it were smaller, lighter, cheaper (and maybe a wider faster lens) but for now indie doco, commercial and music video makers will regard one of the slew of camera form factor cameras to be a better option.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders