DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   "Tape Heads Dirty" message (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/100060-tape-heads-dirty-message.html)

Nelson Cole July 30th, 2007 12:50 AM

"Tape Heads Dirty" message

My A1 has only a few hours on it, maybe 6 tapes, and already I've had the "Tape Heads Dirty" message twice. The first was on the second use, in fact. I haven't done any more unusual shooting than I normally do, and only use Panasonic AQ tapes. I haven't noticed any dropouts. Footage looks nice, in fact.

Should I worry about this? Should I use my head cleaning cassette (dry) on such a new machine? Seems like an odd thing to have to do. I've never had a Canon before and heard that they can be a little flaky with the heads or tape mechanism (which is why I didn't get the GL2), so I don't think I have to panic, I suppose.

Anyone else getting this message? An earlier thread I found on the topic suggested using Panasonic tapes, but I already am. Thoughts, anyone?

Eric Brown July 30th, 2007 02:01 AM

This has been gone over many, many (did I mention many?) times on this forum for people buying new Canon camcorders. Run your head cleaning tape for ten seconds and that should hopefully do the trick.

Phil Kay July 30th, 2007 05:58 AM

Nelson,I had the same thing this very morning - only a few hours recording time and I'm being asked to clean the head?
I came from Sony PD-150/170's and I only ever needed to clean them once a year.....

Richard Alvarez July 30th, 2007 07:49 AM

Clean the heads. That will remove the dirt. That's what head cleaning tapes are for. That's why you're getting the warning. I don't know about the A1, but for the XL2, the manual SPECIFICALLY state to clean the heads when you recieve the camera, so I wouldn't worry about having 'dirty heads' soon after you get yours.

Does the A1 manually advise you to clean the heads when you recieve it?

Bill Pryor July 30th, 2007 08:53 AM

Yes, clean the heads when you get the camera out of the box.

Nelson Cole July 30th, 2007 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez (Post 720575)
Clean the heads. That will remove the dirt. That's what head cleaning tapes are for. That's why you're getting the warning. I don't know about the A1, but for the XL2, the manual SPECIFICALLY state to clean the heads when you recieve the camera, so I wouldn't worry about having 'dirty heads' soon after you get yours.

Does the A1 manually advise you to clean the heads when you recieve it?

No, it doesn't, not that I can find. Page 147 talks of cleaning the heads when the "Heads Dirty" message appears, but I don't find where you're instructed to run the head cleaner when you first get the camera.

I'll run the head cleaner today and see how it goes.

Pete Bauer July 30th, 2007 11:18 AM

Box at the top of page 27:
"Before You Begin Recording
Make a test recording first to check if the camcorder operates correctly. If necessary, clean the video heads (147)."

All the recent Canon user manuals (and probably other manufacturers, too) say this, so the standard advice is to just run a cleaning tape for a few seconds when you first take your new camera out of the box.