DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Rode NTG-1 and battery life (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/101257-rode-ntg-1-battery-life.html)

Jim Schweer August 13th, 2007 03:14 PM

Rode NTG-1 and battery life

I've searched this forum for information about using this phantom-powered mic on the A1, but nothing has mentioned how it's use effects the run time of the A1's battery. It draws 3.5 mA according to the Rode specs, while something like the AT 897 draws 2. Would that difference be enough to noticabley shorten the time you could shoot on a battery? Thanks.

Gert Kracht August 13th, 2007 03:32 PM

Hi Jim,

Let's asume you have the BP950 battery, or even better: the BP970.

The BP950 has a capacity of 5200 mAh. That means it can give the camera about 5200 mA per hour. The camera runs about 4-5 hours on that battery, so that would mean it uses about a 1000 mA per hour.
Looking at the 3.5 mA would mean that the camera would run 12.6 seconds shorter on the battery if I calculated it right.
With 2 mA it would mean 7.2 seconds. So the difference is 5 seconds shorter filming.

I don't think you have to know the results with the BP970......

3.5 mA or 2 mA are absolutely no problem......

Bill Pryor August 13th, 2007 03:54 PM

I've been wondering about the quality of that Røde mic. It's really a low price. Has anybody used it for critical things?

Jim Schweer August 13th, 2007 04:23 PM

Thanks, Gert. There's nothing quite like a completely factual answer.

Bill, my interest in the NTG-1 stems from my use of Rode's NT3 mic and hearing it's results played in a theater.

Petri Kaipiainen August 14th, 2007 01:16 AM

Rode NTG-1 and NTG-2 (same thing as far as audio goes) are the best cheap(esh) short shotguns. You would have to pay 2-3 times more to get real improvement. Many pro productions have been done with those with no complaints.

Don Palomaki August 14th, 2007 06:58 AM

As Gert notes, the impact of the Rode mic (or the AT) on available runtime would be insignificant (less half a percent).

The Rode NTG-1/2 appear to be excellent shotgun mics for their price point. Arguably roughly comparable to the AT-897, although some people like Rode better, and some prefer AT.

Mike Banks August 14th, 2007 04:07 PM

I'm using an NTG1 and it's pretty decent. Audio quality wise compared with top mic's I'd give it a 6/10. I have found that even if wrapped in rubber mounted in the mic holder it picks up more handling noise than I'd like so now tend to get a mic stand and place the mic above the subjects pointing down and run a long cable to the cam.

I picked up a bargain non brand but obviously pro tie clip that runs on phantom power on eBay for £30 the other month and it's even better. I place in on the table etc pointing towards the subject.

As I work mostly in recording studios I can borrow some pretty exotic mics, I recorded a feature with Tony Visconti (producer for T Tex etc) and had a super Neuman mic, it just sounds astonishing. Used in figure 8 pickup pattern, interviewer one side and subject the other it was super crisp and kept background noise out. I think that the mic pre's on the Canon are very good as you can really hear the difference in the mics.

Trent Humphrey August 14th, 2007 04:29 PM

I just recently ordered the xh a1...I also have the at897 so when I get time this weekend I will see how well it works. Is there a post anywhere to show pictures of people xha1 setups. I would love to see them.

Gert Kracht August 15th, 2007 03:14 PM

Not only did I answer the question. I also learned from the other reactions. I was looking around for a reasonable microphone for a while and had not heard about these two. So, thanks for the 'tip' Jim. :-)

Even Solberg August 15th, 2007 04:00 PM

I have the SM-5 holder for my NTG-2. Seems to do a reasonably good job at dampening things.

Juni Zhao August 15th, 2007 11:46 PM

NTG1 is too thin for the A1 mic holder. So how you guys deal with this? Wrap some duct tape around the mic?

Even Solberg August 16th, 2007 01:58 AM

I use this:
http://www.rodemic.com/?pagename=Products&product=SM5

Works fine.

Don Palomaki August 16th, 2007 06:43 AM

I have placed a couple turns of black gaffer tape around the NTG-2.

Bill Pryor August 16th, 2007 09:27 AM

You could go to a hardware store and get a couple of O-rings to put around the mic.

Mark Leonard August 17th, 2007 02:38 PM

I just wrap a paper towel around the mic. and kinda on the subject but an off question, but I've always just thrown a AA battery in the mic how do I use the phantom power on the cam without needing a duracell? thanks