DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Anybody working on book for XH A1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/102742-anybody-working-book-xh-a1.html)

Dave Findley September 3rd, 2007 10:50 AM

Anybody working on book for XH A1?

Wondering if anyone's working on book for XH A1, like Barry Green did for DVX 100? Searched around, didn't find anything except for the VASST video.

Chris Hurd September 3rd, 2007 10:53 AM

I have an extensive outline and several portions fleshed out, the trouble is that color printing is pretty expensive. Thought about an electronic version for customer print-on-demand. Haven't given up on it.

Dave Findley September 3rd, 2007 10:57 AM

I'm down for it if you do it, certainly be worth 50 bucks for me to have it handy in the field.

Even Solberg September 3rd, 2007 11:45 AM

Ditto. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Robert Morane September 3rd, 2007 01:35 PM

Please Chris go for it.
I bought my A1 few months ago and the basic operation is quite simple for an amazing result, but the potential of the cam is such that it would be great to have a good book to help go further,
In fact what is needed is a an "Idiot guide to filmmaking with the A1". Focussing not only on the how but also explaning the why. The A1 is opening a world of tremendous opportunities to journalist and documentary filmmaker. Many of them with no previous experience as cameraman.
The book I want, would guide me in becomming not great cameraman but a verstile and polyvalent operator able to front a diversity of field situations and bring back the images and sound needed to tell the story.
There is lot of good books for the aspirant moviemaker but for the journalist-documentarian there is very little available. Hope you'll do it.

Mats Frendahl September 3rd, 2007 01:55 PM

Chris, I run a publ. business. Colour print is quite reasonable today. In Oct. I'm publ. a 600 page book about Structured FrameMaker that I and a collegue authored - every page in 4C!

Paul Mailath September 3rd, 2007 08:30 PM

Conventional or electronic - count me in as well!

Mickey Mackwan September 3rd, 2007 10:50 PM

Sounds great, i am just a newbie and would love to have some more knowledge about the camera and filmaking in general and depth.... count me in...

Mats Frendahl September 4th, 2007 02:47 AM

Chris, do you have any table of contents of your outline?

Ken Wozniak September 4th, 2007 09:19 AM

I'd be on board to buy the book as well. It's always nice to have a printed reference.

Try a place like www.Blurb.com (I've used them for photo albums), and people can pay for their books when they have them printed out. You can set the price of your book, as well.

The Blurb software isn't the best, but it's free. The biggest pain is uploading the finished book. Even over broadband, uploading a 600 MB file takes some time.

Jose Ortiz September 4th, 2007 11:08 AM

Brilliant Idea!
Count on me too!

Mats Frendahl September 4th, 2007 12:35 PM

Interesting project, but not done in a day or week. A book is a traditional and well-known "media", but does it not seem more suitable to have (YouTube) clips with the different chapters instead of printed pages?

Jonathan Plotkin September 4th, 2007 02:31 PM

Count me in too. I really like the idea of incorporating video clips.

Ken Wozniak September 4th, 2007 07:27 PM

It's amazing how willing we all are to give Chris Hurd some extra work.

Chris Hurd September 4th, 2007 07:45 PM

Yeah, I gotta say, all I had in mind was a printed (or printable if it's an e-book) field guide that you could throw in your camera bag and refer to out on location. Just a question of whether or not it would sell enough to justify putting the effort into it.

But video clips, sorry... I can't afford the time nor the money to create them just to put 'em on YouTube... to accomplish that will take a better person than me. Besides, a couple of different training DVDs have already been done.

Brian David Melnyk September 5th, 2007 03:12 AM

manual

i would love to have a manual and be able to reference your experience and knowledge. I've moved to Burundi, however, and internet is sketchy at best... downloading a manual would be near impossible. Also, to order a physical manual and have it sent would be prohibitively expensive. What about selling a CD or DVD containing the manual? it could be sent through regular mail and would be cheap to produce... just an idea...

Mats Frendahl September 5th, 2007 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 739338)
Just a question of whether or not it would sell enough to justify putting the effort into it.

Depends on the effort.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 739338)
I can't afford the time nor the money.

Time = Money - one is redundant.

Writing a book is not that simple - otherwise anyone would do it. And, a full featured book would probably be ready when they "new" A1 is out for sale. If "A2" = 90% of A1 then it would be worth it, given there is enough buyers (of both camcorder and book).