DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   I Lost My Xh A1 Lens Cap (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/102781-i-lost-my-xh-a1-lens-cap.html)

Giles Ripley September 4th, 2007 02:15 AM

I Lost My Xh A1 Lens Cap

does anyone know which canon lens cap is the appropriate replacement for the xh a1 if you lost the one it came with? and where to find one cheap? haven't tried that hard to find one but this place usually gets results.

does anyone have one in the uk as that would be even better?

cheers, Giles

Mats Frendahl September 4th, 2007 02:45 AM

Call Canon Service Center (or similar).
I'd guess about 20 GBP or so.

Dominik Gehring September 4th, 2007 04:36 AM

i think just any no name 72mm snapcap should work...

find in any better foto-store...

regards - dom

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giles Ripley (Post 738893)
does anyone know which canon lens cap is the appropriate replacement for the xh a1 if you lost the one it came with? and where to find one cheap? haven't tried that hard to find one but this place usually gets results.

cheers, Giles

Glen Johnstone September 4th, 2007 06:26 AM

Since I too tend to lose lens caps, I purchased a couple of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Lens_Cap.html

I actually like it better than the one Canon supplied with the A1.

Larry Chapman September 4th, 2007 09:57 AM

I put a cap keeper on my lens cap. The drawback to that was that now the cap hung loose and got tangled and banged into things (noise). I fixed that by putting a little chunk of velcro on the cap and on the outside of the A1's hand grip. Now I can take the cap off and "stick it somewhere". If the velcro fails, the cap still hangs by the elastic cord.

Giles Ripley September 13th, 2007 01:01 PM

thanks guys, sterling advice. should be sorted in no time - no more cling-film!

G. Randy Brown July 7th, 2010 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Johnstone (Post 738947)
Since I too tend to lose lens caps, I purchased a couple of these:

Canon - 72mm Snap-On Lens Cap - 2728A002 - B&H Photo Video

I actually like it better than the one Canon supplied with the A1.

This is not available any more ...any other suggestions? Also 72mm is the correct size with the XHA1 lens hood attached, right?

Thanks very much,
Randy
BTW, I don't see anything in the manual regarding the "external control mode" selection but is it safe to assume that is just for a lanc controller?

Chris Soucy July 7th, 2010 11:58 AM

Hi, GRB.................

Quote:

Originally Posted by G. Randy Brown (Post 1546087)
BTW, I don't see anything in the manual regarding the "external control mode" selection but is it safe to assume that is just for a lanc controller?

A bit "off piste" for this thread, but I assume you're talking about "Digital Video Control" (page 70 of the original PAL XH A1 manual).

The Lanc has no user settings whatsoever.

DVC requires that [DV CONTROL] in [SYSTEM SETUP] is set to [ON] on the master system. The "slave" must be set to [DV CONTROL] = [OFF]

Once enabled, it allows the camera to control the function of another compatible HDV/ DV device that is connected via Firewire.

Amongst other things, it gives the ability to have a tape recording at all times, even if one camera needs a tape change.

Cool, if about as useful as an ash tray on a motorcycle (IMHO).

CS

G. Randy Brown July 7th, 2010 12:50 PM

Assuming "off piste" means off topic... sorry but I thought it would be a quick BTW question with a simple yes answer but now I'm confused.
Okay, Digital Video Control is covered on pg 74 of the NTSC manual and is not what I'm talking about (however I found this feature quite handy when I used to do 2 cam shoots with my old XL1S' ).
Lanc controller would be used for a wired remote to zoom/focus....you probably already know that but I guess to get to the point, my question would be,what is the "ext cont" selection for on the power wheel (next to VCR/play).
Thanks,
Randy

Allan Black July 7th, 2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giles Ripley (Post 738893)

cheers, Giles

Most large camera shops have an odds box with lens caps etc. Phone around at off peak times.

Cheers.

G. Randy Brown July 7th, 2010 03:20 PM

Thanks Allan, I googled around and B & H has some that'll work.
Thanks again,
Randy

Chris Soucy July 7th, 2010 04:06 PM

Ext Cont..............

On the Power dial is shown on page 11 of the later Canon XH G1s / XH A1s manual.

It's annotated "Reserved mode for future software developement", which I guess is another way of saying it does squat (at this point in time and firmware level).

CS

Panagiotis Raris July 8th, 2010 02:04 PM

any 72mm generic lens cap should work fine; i use a nikon lens cap and a nikon knockoff interchangeably; i prefer the inner pinch ring. i think i paid $3 for it.

Allan Black July 8th, 2010 02:46 PM

Be nice if Canon had included a built in flip up lens cover like they do with their HV20-30-40 series. Cheers.

Jonathan Jones July 30th, 2010 02:49 PM

One of the first things I did when I got my XL2 several years ago was to put a piece of velcro on the outside face of my lens cap, with the corresponding piece on the top of my lens hood. So when I remove the cap, I can just stick it to the top of the hood where it is ready when I need it. It doesn't get lost that way, and doesn't bang around making noise if hanging by a string, as is common with consumer models.

Just my 2 cents.

-Jon