DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   50mm f/1.2 FD Mount or Nikon 50 f/1.2 (new) for Letus35 FH (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/103467-50mm-f-1-2-fd-mount-nikon-50-f-1-2-new-letus35-fh.html)

Shiv Kumar September 13th, 2007 02:19 AM

50mm f/1.2 FD Mount or Nikon 50 f/1.2 (new) for Letus35 FH

Since the FD mount is an older design I'm only able to find used lenses on this kind for about $725-825 (supposedly in "mint" condition). I'm primarily wondering about the fact that technology have changed quite a bit in recent years and so if I would loose out on "quality" going with a older Canon FD mount.

The other option I have is to buy a new Nikon 50mm f1.2.

What do you all suggest?

David W. Jones September 13th, 2007 07:07 AM

It's all about personal choice!
Some people like Chevy, others like Ford.
Lenses are the same way. There are both good and bad lens offerings from each of the manufactures.
Most of the Canon FD lenses will be fine with a 35mm DOF adapter.
I keep a couple of FD mount lenses around, as well as Pentax, Nikon,
and my personal favorite, Zeiss.
I find using an EOS mount on my Brevis gives me the most flexibility when it comes to lens selection. Although I just received the new FD lens mount yesterday.
Good Luck with your search!

Trish Kerr September 13th, 2007 07:21 AM

I had read you could get nikon 50mm lens for under $100 - maybe not the 1.2 but 1.4 and 1.8.

Also it sounds like the canon mount is more fussy. This is from reading so far as I was looking into the letus and whether to go with the swappable mount or just the nikon

here is a post from the letus section that discusses the mount stuff

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=101813

Trish

Shiv Kumar September 13th, 2007 01:14 PM

Trish,

That was an interesting post. A lot of information! A bit overwhelming too :).

Trish Kerr September 13th, 2007 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiv Kumar (Post 743839)
Trish,

That was an interesting post. A lot of information! A bit overwhelming too :).

I'm right there with you on that. ; )

Trish

Josh Laronge September 13th, 2007 01:28 PM

Shiv,
$725 - $825 for a used excellent condition Canon FD mount 50 1.2 is INSANE!!

If it's the L series lens and is in like new condition it should be about $450.00-$550.00 if it's not the L then it should be $250 -$275 for one in like new condition. The L lens is aspherical while the non L is not. The Nikon 50 1.2 AIS in should be about the same price as the Canon L.

--Josh

Shiv Kumar September 13th, 2007 02:59 PM

Josh,

Thank you for your input. I was wondering about the prices too and wasn't sure that an older (and used) lens should be as expensive as a new (other make) lens or not. I thought maybe there was some technology/materials in the Canon lenses that I wasn't aware off or something.

Josh Laronge September 13th, 2007 04:17 PM

Shiv,
From what I understand, there are 2 versions of Canon FD mount 50 1.2 one is an L series and the other is not. With Canon, the L series lenses (be it FD or EF) are built to higher standards using better materials and incorporating features like weather sealing (not waterproof), fluorite glass, aspherical elements and apocromatic correction (these are all lens specific and may not be in every L but used where needed). The L series you can recognize by the red stripe.

Do you need the L series or can you save money buying a non L? The answer to that is really up to you. The non L will give good results. The L may (or may not) offer better sharpness and contrast. In my opinion, using the lenses for their original intention (35mm still film for the FD) I would spend the money for the L. However, when using the lenses with a DOF adapter on HDV you might not see much difference and the savings of the non L may be better put toward something else.

Hope this helps.
--Josh

Shiv Kumar September 13th, 2007 04:25 PM

Josh,

I like that way you explained that and your take on the "use" of the lens. Thank you.

I'm looking at the Nikon fixed mount on the Letus35 FE and so a Nikon lens rather than a Canon.

It's hard to find a fast 85mm (which is what I think I'll start out with for my interview shots rather than a 50mm) Nikon. I just found an 85mm f/1.4 AIS Manual focus on e-bay for $800 (Mint condition) (new price on Amazon is $1,350).

I am looking for a fast lens so I have the option (even though I may not use it at that apature most times). What do you think?

Josh Laronge September 13th, 2007 05:08 PM

Shiv,
If you really want to splurge and can find one then you want the EF 50 mm f1 L. I think they go for around 4k used. You would need the EF mount though.

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/c...0_10l_usm.html

The Nikon 85 f1.4 is nice glass. They also make an 85 f1.8 that is about half the price.

Something to consider is that there are other factors that contribute to DOF besides maximum aperture. Lens focal length and camera to subject distance is equally important. Depending on what you're shooting, and your budget, you might be better off going to a lens like a 200 f2.8 (about $275). Set at f4 this lens will still give you a nice soft background.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this next statement but: You have to consider the way 35mm DOF adapters work. You camcorder lens takes a picture of a projected image. This intermediary degrades image quality (any intermediary does). Now degrades doesn't mean you get a poor image, there are some beautiful things shot with these adapters. In real life with these adapters are you going to see a difference between an f1.4 or f1.8 when chances are you're going to shoot stopped down to 2.8 or 4; probably not. Also, remember DOF works in both directions of the lens. You probably won't be shooting with the lens wide open because stopping down one stop will be required for the needed DOF on the ground glass. (if you've ever made prints in a darkroom, you'll probably recall stopping the enlarger down; this is the same principal).

My recommendation to you is you get a 50 1.8 (you can get a new one for $120 or used in great shape for $75-80) or 85 1.8 if you want shallower DOF. Set up your Letus and see what it does with that lens. Then decide on your next lens(es). Once you see your results, you'll have a much better idea of the direction you want to go in.

--Josh

Shiv Kumar September 13th, 2007 06:34 PM

Josh,

I appreciate your replies tremendously! I'm going to read and then re-read your comments so I can digest the information (not that you didn't explain it well, but just that being new to all this, I'm a lot slower in understanding these things).

Thank you.

Shiv.

Andrew Waite September 13th, 2007 07:56 PM

go with the nikon.... nikon lenses are easy to find and are really cheap. i picked up a mint condition 50mm 1.2 nikon from the local pawn shop for 90 bucks.

Shiv Kumar September 13th, 2007 10:06 PM

Adrew,

Did you pick it up in order to use with an adaptor or for a 35mm still camera?

Shiv Kumar September 14th, 2007 09:01 PM

Josh,

I'm going with your suggestions. I find that it's not easy finding the "right" Nikon lenses (if you want to do it right). It seems to me that the lens should be:
1. AI-S
2. Not E Series
3. Manual Focus (of course)

So I'm looking for a 50mm f/1.8 AI-S MF and a 85mm f/1.8 AI-S MF. Going to the cheaper lenses allows me to buy one of both :).

I took out my old SLR (Canon) still camera that has a 28-200 zoom with markings at 50 and 70 (besides others) and playing with the zoom set at 50 and aprox. 80 I find that I'll probably need both (even in the short term).

The 50mm is a lot easier to find. But the 85mm is very difficult and when available (used) is very expensive. I find one on ebay for almost $800 (the buy now price) another one with a starting bid of $400 that has 9 days to go yet.