DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Before using a new tape (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/105990-before-using-new-tape.html)

Bill Watson October 19th, 2007 01:33 AM

Before using a new tape

I've just been told by one of my local camera shop staff that I should always fast forward and rewind a new mini dv tape before using it.

Is this true?

Erik Norgaard October 19th, 2007 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Watson (Post 761243)
I've just been told by one of my local camera shop staff that I should always fast forward and rewind a new mini dv tape before using it.

Is this true?

New tapes are wound tighter than they will be when you rewind the tape. Rewinding the tape before use will solve that problem - if it is a problem.

I personally rewind the tape before use and then record 30sec color bars at the start. The end of the color bars marks the start of the recording and ensures that I can keep an accurate index of the recording. This is particularly useful if I need to pass the recording for post at a later stage.

Cheers, Erik

Steven Dempsey October 19th, 2007 09:11 AM

I do 20 seconds of color bars at the beginning but don't bother rewinding or fast forwarding the tape. I've never had an issue with it.

Steve Wolla October 19th, 2007 09:55 PM

Used to be in the audio bizz, where that was a semi-common practice.
I've not done that since the early '80's...it's a common practice (or was,at least) with audio tapes (open reel and cassettes) to fast forward them and then rewind before use. Reason was, tapes sometimes would stick to itself, and you want a nice smooth delivery from one reel to the next when recording, to prevent flaws in the recording.
I've done it occasionally with video, but it doesn't seem to be as necessary. You shouldn't have any problems because you didn't do same with today's mini DV tapes.

Eric Weiss October 19th, 2007 11:37 PM

I've never done it.

Bill Edmunds October 20th, 2007 07:40 AM

That was something that used to be recommended with analog tapes, especilly hi8. The theory is that it would "shake off" loose oxide. I have no idea if it was a legitimate concern though.

Don Palomaki October 20th, 2007 08:27 AM

A reasonable idea for any format that has a linear track. Slight speed variations cause by tape not feeding with uniform tension can cause wow in an analog audio (or a perhaps corresponding but differnt looking effect in recorded video) signal. With digital recording and tight servo controls on tape transport this is less of an issue up to the point where the tension changes cause uncorrectable tape read errors.

It does take time, and adds wear to the machine used to FWD/RW the tape. But it may be a reasonable practice for tapes that have been in storage for a long time or subject to wide variations in temperature/humidity over time.