DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Updated Reel (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/114395-updated-reel.html)

Steven Dempsey February 9th, 2008 02:10 PM

Updated Reel

Shot mainly on XHA1 with XLH1 and HVX200 footage thrown in. About 15% Letus Extreme and FE also.

Added some new scenes and extended the length of the clips so they don't go by at light speed like before.

Still working on it. Waiting for some footage from a recent music video I shot so some of the weaker shots will be replaced.

http://www.pinelakefilms.com/short_reel.html

The longer version, linked from the bottom of the page, has not been updated yet.

EDIT: added 720p version

Jerrod Cordell February 10th, 2008 04:52 AM

Where did you get that song? If it's copyright-free, I could definitely use that for a project I'm working on right now.

Looks cool, can't wait to see the music video you're working on.

Tony Ferguson February 10th, 2008 01:33 PM

Impressive Reel Stephen

Impressive Reel, Steven. Wow. Now to get my xh a1 looking like that.

Thank you

Tony

Ian Swanson February 17th, 2008 12:41 PM

Stunning Images

Hey Steven,

The reel is looking great... very cinematic. I was wondering if you might share with us how you get your XH-A1 footage looking so lush and filmic... What are your Custom Preset settings? Are you re-working the images heavily in post production? Doing anything special that might help the rest of us achieve such beauty?

Morgan Crossley February 17th, 2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Swanson (Post 827919)
Hey Steven,

The reel is looking great... very cinematic. I was wondering if you might share with us how you get your XH-A1 footage looking so lush and filmic... What are your Custom Preset settings? Are you re-working the images heavily in post production? Doing anything special that might help the rest of us achieve such beauty?

Welcome to the forums. i guess you haven't figured it out yet that Steven Dempsey has made quite a big impact on the xh-a1 community here. or at least, he has made one on me personally. search his posts! you'll read things like "letus extreme...." and "VIVIDRGB" among other things..... :-)

Jim Press February 17th, 2008 10:47 PM

Custom Presets

Hi Ian,

This is the link to the sticky for custom presets--extremely helpful!

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=81071

Oleg Kalyan February 18th, 2008 01:19 AM

Steven, you reel looks great, one shot IMHO I see a little confusing.
00:37 greenery, rain,
00:39 also greenery POV pointing, no rain, almost like finger points to the rain in the greenery down below....

Hope the reel will produce some great results in your work demand!

Oleg Kalyan February 18th, 2008 01:21 AM

One more thing forgot, on couple of short the camera move up,
do you use IndiSlider for that?
Thank you.

Jim Press February 18th, 2008 05:58 AM

Stephen!

I forgot to say how inspiring and beautiful your work, and this latest piece, is. Thanks for sharing--it's always eagerly viewed.

Colin Reid February 18th, 2008 01:47 PM

Steven,

As a complete newbie to video and the XH-A1, I was astonished at the ability/quality of both the camera and your own creative work.

This footage was so inspiring it has really made me rethink what I want to achieve.

Two technical questions if I may, and please forgive my ignorance if the first is a "dumb" question.

1. The shot which appears to dolly right with the mountain in the background (2.17). The foreground moves left but the background (mountain) does not move in the frame. How was this done?

2. Can you let us know which shots came from the A1?

Really appreciate you sharing your work and giving us new guys the opportunity to see what it is possible to achieve.

Regards,

Colin

Steven Dempsey February 18th, 2008 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Reid (Post 828455)
Steven,

As a complete newbie to video and the XH-A1, I was astonished at the ability/quality of both the camera and your own creative work.

This footage was so inspiring it has really made me rethink what I want to achieve.

Two technical questions if I may, and please forgive my ignorance if the first is a "dumb" question.

1. The shot which appears to dolly right with the mountain in the background (2.17). The foreground moves left but the background (mountain) does not move in the frame. How was this done?

2. Can you let us know which shots came from the A1?

Really appreciate you sharing your work and giving us new guys the opportunity to see what it is possible to achieve.

Regards,

Colin

Thanks Colin and everyone else, I appreciate the comments.

1. I was in a parking lot in Rainier National Park and basically stuck my camera on a steady bag out the driver's side window and let the car roll very slowly. I made sure the car was running parallel to the Mountain so that it would be static. Because it was at such a distance away, my movement made no difference to its perspective...the trees moved because they were only about 20 yards from the car...make sense? There's science in there somewhere :)

2. Times are approximate:
00:05 XHA1
00:08 - 00:12 XLH1
00:13 XHA1
00:15 - 00:23 XLH1
00:24 - 00:32 XHA1
00:33 - 00:37 XLH1
00:38 - 00:42 XHA1
00:43 - 00:46 HVX200
00:47 - 01:02 XHA1
01:03 XLH1
01:04 - End XHA1