DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   TrueColor configuration for XH A1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/116993-truecolor-configuration-xh-a1.html)

Steven Reid September 11th, 2009 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artur Smiech (Post 1339505)
Thank you for comparison, Steve. I can see my settings give some reddish cast opposite to Bill's. I will try his preset in tungsten and daylight. I use my TC's version indoor only. At this reason I raised PED and SET to get more details of blacks. I left RG, GR, BG etc. the same of Paolo Ciccone. I lowered KNE at L to avoid overexpose the whites.

Yes, Artur, I suspected that was the reason for your PED and SET settings. After I applied NeatVideo noise reduction to footage that I shot with your preset, the footage looked very clean and pleasing, aside from the reddish cast that I observed in the conditons I outlined above.

Steve

Bill Busby September 11th, 2009 10:52 AM

What's funny is... I noticed on the last set of photos Steve posted there's discrepancy between the thumbnail representations and the images opened... but only on the LCD connected to this PC

Thumbnails:
original TC has the blue cast many have noticed.
the other two, mine and Artur's look fine.

Opened images displayed:
original TC looks great. No blue! White is white! :D
mine and Artur's white's have a reddish cast! :D

Bring these into PS CS2 using the "auto levels" or "auto color" on all three, the original isn't altered much and looks quite good, while mine and Artur's will get noticeably washed out looking. :D

I know this isn't a correct method of comparison, but it was a funny observation.

Steven Reid September 11th, 2009 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Busby (Post 1340621)
What's funny is... I noticed on the last set of photos Steve posted there's discrepancy between the thumbnail representations and the images opened... but only on the LCD connected to this PC

Thumbnails:
original TC has the blue cast many have noticed.
the other two, mine and Artur's look fine.

Opened images displayed:
original TC looks great. No blue! White is white! :D
mine and Artur's white's have a reddish cast! :D

Bring these into PS CS2 using the "auto levels" or "auto color" on all three, the original isn't altered much and looks quite good, while mine and Artur's will get noticeably washed out looking. :D

I know this isn't a correct method of comparison, but it was a funny observation.

Haha! That is strange! For grins, I just repeated what you did, minus importing into an NLE for adjustments. Below is a screen grab of my picture post above that is juxtaposed to the three opened images on the right, shown in their respective windows, and positioned in roughly the same orientation. I can't see any difference between thumbnails and opened images on my monitor.

Steve

Bill Busby September 11th, 2009 11:53 AM

We're all just FUBAR'd :D

Mark Shea December 16th, 2009 12:12 AM

I used the trucolor preset for my latest tourism project. Very happy with the vibrant colors

YouTube - Adventure Activities - Macarthur Region

Artur Smiech December 16th, 2009 03:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And what do you say for that? I suppose the wings are white?

Steven Reid December 16th, 2009 05:12 AM

Artur beat me to it. Your images have that dreaded blue cast, Mark...unless, of course, that's the look you're after.

BTW, nice video. I like the shot walking out of the hangar. Very "Top Gun."

Steve

Mark Shea December 16th, 2009 05:50 AM

Thanks for the test Artur. I was using the factory preset previously, so was impressed with the more vivid colors of trucolor. I didn't pick up the blue cast, wings were white. Back to the drawing board :(

Artur Smiech December 16th, 2009 06:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There is something strange. Greys and blacks are nearer to right values. Whites tend to blue, isn't it? Take a look at this:

Steven Reid December 16th, 2009 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Shea (Post 1460879)
Back to the drawing board :(

Why, Mark? It\'s done for you. Try the slightly revised preset in post #144 of this thread. I did and it completely removed the blue cast whilst maintaining the other colors wonderfully. I\'ve been shooting outdoors with it and I can say that the footage straight from the A1 looks just terrific.

Steve

Alex DeJesus December 16th, 2009 03:47 PM

Keeping track of CPs

Just a favor to ask, if you \'tweak\' a preset and post it here, give it a new name. I see 3 or 4 versions of TruColor on this thread.

Mark Shea February 2nd, 2010 06:18 PM

I just completed a tourism project using the truecolor preset. Videos can be viewed here :

YouTube - visitmacarthur\'s Channel