HV30 as player and 2nd camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:47 AM   #1
Major Player

HV30 as player and 2nd camera?

I'm looking into a HV30 as a (H)DV-player-recorder (to spare the heads of my XH-A1) and as a second camera. I see the advantages, but are there any drawbacks I should consider? Would also be a handy camera to have permanently in the car...
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:00 AM   #2
Major Player

Other than it struggles a little in low light compared to the XH-A1, the HV20 is great additional cam to have.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:50 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply
Luc
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:47 AM   #4
Major Player

There are still a few HV20s around and they're selling for much less than the new HV30. Unless you really need the clearer LCD side-screen, the HV20 does everything the newer one does. Get one before they're gone.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:17 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I just got my HV 30 and used it for the first time last night. I shot the dress rehearsal of a musical I am shooting live tonight. When I got the footage home I could not believe how the HV30 and A1 performed in the theatre

Had both cams set HDV 60i. I had my A1 set to Panalook 2 and spotlight mode and the HV30 locked down and set to spotlight mode. The footage is so close its scary.

I couldn’t be happier with HV 30. For $799(B & H) I think you get way more camera than the price suggests.
Adam Slaght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:47 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fry View Post
There are still a few HV20s around and they're selling for much less than the new HV30. Unless you really need the clearer LCD side-screen, the HV20 does everything the newer one does. Get one before they're gone.
Well, actually Canon has created a strange situation in Europe as far as price-setting is concerned: a new HV20 costs 899,- euros, while an - also - new HV30 is 915,- euros. BUT... on the latter there is a cashback action starting june 1st, of 100 euros. So in fact the HV30 sells new for 84 euros less than a brandnew HV20! I guess in that case the choice is quikly made...
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:49 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Slaght View Post
I just got my HV 30 and used it for the first time last night. I shot the dress rehearsal of a musical I am shooting live tonight. When I got the footage home I could not believe how the HV30 and A1 performed in the theatre

Had both cams set HDV 60i. I had my A1 set to Panalook 2 and spotlight mode and the HV30 locked down and set to spotlight mode. The footage is so close its scary.

I couldn’t be happier with HV 30. For $799(B & H) I think you get way more camera than the price suggests.

Thanks for this comment Adam, I'll order mine tomorrow, so that I can get one of the first ones with cashback (= 815,- euros).
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:04 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
Thanks for this comment Adam, I'll order mine tomorrow, so that I can get one of the first ones with cashback (= 815,- euros).
You wont be dissapointed.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:10 PM   #9
New Boot

i will be using the HV30 as a player for the A1 as well

Just received mine today, and may have a problem.

Question for those who have the HV30. I notice that if i gently shake the cam i hear/feel something moving around inside. It feels like the movement is with in the lens housing in an attached way, not a completely loose screw or part clanging around. Not sure what to think of this as the camera works, no negative effect when shaking while recording. I will call canon in a bit, though would like to hear from HV30 users here.

Jim
Jim Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:20 PM   #10
New Boot

Ok, well i guess this is something i will need to get used to.

I just hung up with canon tech support. A helpful woman was able to grab an Hv30 off the shelf and shake it there. Same result.

I was a little concerned, my Sony HC3 makes no noise as well as the A1 when shaken.

I just hope this rattle sound doesnt find its way into the audio when recording.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:26 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Just grabbed and shook mine...no rattle here
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:35 PM   #12
New Boot

Interesting, so you hear absolutely nothing when shaking it? The canon techs camera sounded identical to mine when she was shaking it.

I will need to plan a camera shaking trip to some local stores.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:47 PM   #13
New Boot

I found in the troubleshooting section of the manual that the rattle is normal. The internal lens fixture CAN move when camera is not on. Turn the camera on (camera mode) shake it, no rattle.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:55 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Opps my bad, mine was on.

When turned off I got the rattle here too.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:21 PM   #15
Regular Crew

HV20 versus HV30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fry View Post
Doesn't the HV30 have 30F, which the HV20 does not have? I've been thinking of getting an HV as a second to my XHA1 and I like shooting 30F. If the HV20 has it, and is cheaper, that would be a reason to go for the HV20.
Greg Joyce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders