DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   My wedding videography equipment checklist (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/123271-my-wedding-videography-equipment-checklist.html)

Arif Syed June 7th, 2008 08:56 PM

My wedding videography equipment checklist

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/5531/picture1ax0.png
http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/2724/picture2uy8.png

NOTE: The list was made with everything from B&H to keep it simple, I know some things cost less in other places.

I'm still looking for a better light, so the one I have will most likely change. Any tips?

I'm not buying just yet, but I am heading over to B&H's superstore tomorrow just to get a more hands on feel for the equipment.

Kris Zimbelman June 8th, 2008 08:30 AM

Reveiw of that tripopd

http://www.videomaker.com/article/13346/

Not bad. Most will be skeptical of anything less than a Libec 36 model @ $750

Bill Pryor June 8th, 2008 11:22 AM

Count me in that skeptical crowd. I don't see how a $169.95 tripod is going to be very useful except for locked down shots.

I was intersted in small and lightweight when I got my XH A1, so I initially bought a Libec 22. It was marginal for the camera, didn't go high enough and had that "bounceback" that all the cheap tripods have. The bounceback was controllable and overall the tripod was acceptable if you wanted small and light as two of your primary requirements.

However, it wasn't quite good enough for, say, tilting up or down a subject when zoomed in all the way. I had to lock the pan to do that without wobbling. For shooting interviews, it was great. I sold it and got the Libec 38, which is under $600 at Tapeworks Texas. It feels just about right for the Canon, although a Libec 55 would be better. The 38 is heavier than the equivalent Gitzo, but costs less than half as much.

For shooting weddings, I think the Libec 22 would be adequate as long as you don't have too much else on the camera. I use the Canon TA-100 adapter plate (so I can switch easily to full size tripods with standard 3/8" threads for using a teleprompter), and after I got that plate the Libec 22 felt a bit undersized. If you just use the camera, no matte box, plate, etc., it should be OK.

Maybe I'm a skeptic, but I really have never seen a tripod under the price of the Libec 22 that I consider very useable for this camera.

Khoi Pham June 8th, 2008 11:52 AM

I say no to the tripod and the light, tripod is too cheap to be any smooth, light won't be any good unless you are within 3 feet of your subject.

Arif Syed June 8th, 2008 01:33 PM

Ya I the tripod will definetly be changed to something better and any suggestions on lights?

Dennis Murphy June 8th, 2008 02:45 PM

Do B&H sell Prozac?
There's something depressing about weddings.

Khoi Pham June 8th, 2008 03:04 PM

Sony HVL LBP with a CTO is a good light, decent widespread, enough power and has a intensifier for long distance.

Colin McDonald June 8th, 2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy (Post 890036)
Do B&H sell Prozac?
There's something depressing about weddings.

You sound like Marvin out of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Bill Pryor June 8th, 2008 04:43 PM

Well, it's probably not coincidental that the same suit you buy for a wedding also works perfectly for a funeral.

Don Bloom June 8th, 2008 06:14 PM

back on message...Lookat the LPMicro. Good spread, good coverage, light weight...maybe it'll work for you.
Don

Arif Syed June 8th, 2008 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 890109)
back on message...Lookat the LPMicro. Good spread, good coverage, light weight...maybe it'll work for you.
Don

I heard it doesnt throw nearly enough light for a ballroom event

Arif Syed June 8th, 2008 10:48 PM

Also, this may sound really newbish but have to ask.

Will the lens hood that comes with the XH-A1 still fit after I put on a wide angle lens? Or should I be looking for a matter box.

Jack Walker June 8th, 2008 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arif Syed (Post 890196)
Also, this may sound really newbish but have to ask.

Will the lens hood that comes with the XH-A1 still fit after I put on a wide angle lens? Or should I be looking for a matter box.

The Canon wide-angle adapter for the XH-A1 comes with a lens shade that is similar to but much bigger than the stock lens shade.

Arif Syed June 8th, 2008 11:16 PM

I found the XH-A1 for much cheaper at us1photo (about $135 cheaper) and no shipping and tax.

So I decided to add a Pag C6 for my lighting.

Tom Hardwick June 9th, 2008 02:33 AM

The Paglight has that umbilical cord along with the huge shoulder pack full of ancient Ni-Cads, doesn't it?. I'm sure there's an on-board Li-ion battery pack coming along soon - and it should be worth the wait.

Don Bloom June 9th, 2008 05:10 AM

Define "Enough".
If you're trying to light up the entire ballroom with 200 people in it with the one light, nope, ain't gonna make it, but I have already shot about 20 weddings this year with the micro and as I have said before it gives excellent coverage as long as you aren't more than about 12 feet out. 10 feet is better. There are few lights lights (on camera type) that will cover more than about 10 to 12 feet without becoming a distraction.
I have an old sun gun that can cover probably 20 -25 feet maybe more but it'll burn out the subjects eyeballs.
My Anton Bauer Ultralite is only good for about 10 feet.
So in my experience it works just fine for 'ballroom events'.

Don

Arif Syed June 9th, 2008 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 890257)
Define "Enough".
If you're trying to light up the entire ballroom with 200 people in it with the one light, nope, ain't gonna make it, but I have already shot about 20 weddings this year with the micro and as I have said before it gives excellent coverage as long as you aren't more than about 12 feet out. 10 feet is better. There are few lights lights (on camera type) that will cover more than about 10 to 12 feet without becoming a distraction.
I have an old sun gun that can cover probably 20 -25 feet maybe more but it'll burn out the subjects eyeballs.
My Anton Bauer Ultralite is only good for about 10 feet.
So in my experience it works just fine for 'ballroom events'.

Don

Oh ok, that makes me feel a lot better since its cheaper than the pag, I can probably pick up both.