DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   What kind of Steadicam is in this pic? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/125593-what-kind-steadicam-pic.html)

Brad Vaughan July 8th, 2008 11:02 PM

What kind of Steadicam is in this pic?

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone know what kind of Steadicam this is being used on the Crank2 shoot?

Steve Lewis July 8th, 2008 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Vaughan (Post 904834)
Anyone know what kind of Steadicam this is being used on the Crank2 shoot?

I think that is the Bogen Fig Rig. It is not really a true steadicam, but rather a different type of cam support that also allows for other accessories to be used.

Brad Vaughan July 8th, 2008 11:14 PM

Thanks Steve!

Bill Pryor July 9th, 2008 04:04 PM

I'd like to see one of those in person one of these days. I can't figure out how it manages to make anything smoother than ordinary hand held, unless the camera is hung by bungee cords, but that appears to be a solid mount.

Jim Montgomery July 9th, 2008 04:24 PM

I couldn't get it to work.

Jonathan Richards July 9th, 2008 04:26 PM

Pretty simple really.

The camera sits in the centre of axis of the rig and any movements are reduced by the fact that the movements are generated away from the centre of axis.

Your arms act to damp out movement in the same way as if you were carrying hot mugs of coffee up the stairs.

These two combined effects reduce camera movement. Not perfect, but for a small amount of money it really helps to get that 'Steadicam effect' with practise.

Bill Pryor July 9th, 2008 08:42 PM

In that case you could cut a board 2-3 feet long and mount the camera in the middle and have the same effect.

Bill Grant July 9th, 2008 09:02 PM

like this...
www.levelcam.com
I'll sell you one for 15 bucks american to get it out of my closet...
Bill

Dmitry Futoryan July 9th, 2008 10:11 PM

I actually have a Fig Rig with a LANC controller attached, and I have to admit, it's the most amazing device!

It really does give you unbelievably steady shots because of the shock absorption that your arms are doing (as explained earlier). Makes for great walk and talk shots as well.

I recommend it, and yes you can build one from scratch for $15 or whatnot, and more power to you for doing that, but I like the fact that it's welded together, feels solid, has very comfortable grips, and a variety of conveniently drilled holes of various sizes for accessories.

I was shooting behind the scenes for a feature last month, and the first day I showed up with it, people wouldn't stop asking to play with it. It does draw a serious amount of attention, but really makes for great shots.

Just my opinion :)

-Dmitry

Jonathan Richards July 10th, 2008 02:17 AM

I have a Fig Rig. I was using it at a 4x4 Show and everybody kept asking me where my car was?

Funny boys...

Dmitry Futoryan July 10th, 2008 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Richards (Post 905336)
I have a Fig Rig. I was using it at a 4x4 Show and everybody kept asking me where my car was?

Funny boys...

Yeah, same thing kept happening to me as well. I eventually took a piece of blue gaff tape, wrote "It's not a damn steering wheel" across it, and taped it along the top of the rig.

People would read it as I filmed them, and then laugh. Made for some great outtakes :)

Jim Schweer July 10th, 2008 08:52 AM

Bill (Pryor),

You can try mine some time. I'm in KCK.

Figgis describes develpoing this device in his book "Digital Filmmaking".

Jim S.

Bill Pryor July 11th, 2008 07:09 PM

Hey, great.