DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Focus Enhancements Chosen for Canon's Next-Generation Tapeless Acquisition Solution (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/130915-focus-enhancements-chosen-canons-next-generation-tapeless-acquisition-solution.html)

Even Solberg September 16th, 2008 08:57 AM

Focus Enhancements Chosen for Canon's Next-Generation Tapeless Acquisition Solution

Quote:

AMSTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS--(Marketwire - September 15, 2008) - IBC2008 -- Focus Enhancements Inc. (NASDAQ: FCSE), a worldwide leader in media management and ultra wideband (UWB) wireless technology, today announced that it has partnered with Canon U.S.A. to develop the FS-CV Direct To EditŪ (DTE) Recorder for Canon's XL and XH series of professional HDV cameras. The ultra-portable recorder will be demonstrated in both Focus Enhancements' booth (9.D41) and Canon Europe's booth (11.E50) at IBC2008 held at the Amsterdam RAI Centre from September 12-16.

Focus Enhancements will begin shipping a 100 GB version of the FS-CV to Canon's distribution channel in late September.
Not sure if this has been mentioned. Does this mean it'll be Canon branded?

Focus Enhancements Chosen for Canon's Next-Generation Tapeless Acquisition Solution

Focus Enhancements

Richard Hunter September 17th, 2008 04:17 AM

Hi Even, thanks for the info.

I just checked the second link in your post, which is the spec for the FS-CV recorder. It does not seem to support 1080 progressive modes at all. If this is correct, I'm not sure which Canon HDV cams this is aimed at.

Richard

Even Solberg September 17th, 2008 05:31 AM

Well, it does say "QuickTime 1080i 50/60/25f/24f/30f" ... personally, I'd prefer MPEG2. I might go with the Sony CF device instead.

Colin McDonald September 17th, 2008 06:00 AM

Jonathan Ive to replace Gerry Anderson?

I hope this means the design will be a bit more sophisticated than the present models. My FS-4HD PRO looks distinctly home made compared to the Canon XH-A1 it's used with.

Works OK, but I have been asked "Is that Captain Scarlet's iPod or what?" Doesn't quite cut it if you're trying to look cool and well equipped.

Even Solberg September 17th, 2008 03:30 PM

Personally I wonder if this can be doctored to replace the harddrive with a solid state disk. I'm not too crazy about yet more moveable parts.

Something like this would be nice:
SanDisk | Business Products | Embedded Computing | SanDisk SSD Solid State Drives | SanDisk SSD SATA 5000 1.8"

Shaun Roemich September 17th, 2008 03:36 PM

Read This before getting too excited.

Sayonara to Focus Enhancements - The Digital Video Information Network

Bill Pryor September 17th, 2008 03:37 PM

Timing is everything.

Even Solberg September 17th, 2008 03:41 PM

Haha! Back to the Sony solution then. :-)

Philip Williams September 18th, 2008 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Even Solberg (Post 938553)
Haha! Back to the Sony solution then. :-)

I wonder if Sony has any idea how many HDV pro cam owners are going to buy that thing? I'm predicting backorders like nobody's business. Someone like Focus could have really jumped into CF or SD recording and made a mint.

I wish Canon would release its own CF recorder with some sort of custom matched mounting and design for the XH series. Oh well.. Sony it is :)

Mark Fry September 19th, 2008 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Williams (Post 939228)
I wish Canon would release its own CF recorder with some sort of custom matched mounting and design for the XH series. Oh well.. Sony it is :)

They will, but only after you and I have ordered our Sony MCR-1! Although, I'd expect Canon to choose SDHC, because that's what their camcorders currently use for stills.