DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Best Battery to Support A1 Rig (FSC, Ikan) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/134808-best-battery-support-a1-rig-fsc-ikan.html)

Brandon Paschal September 26th, 2008 08:09 PM

Best Battery to Support A1 Rig (FSC, Ikan)

Does anyone have any suggestions for standalone power for an A1 rig with the following?

Equipment Requiring Power:
Firestore FS-C
Ikan 8000HD monitor
XH-A1 (typically run a Brevis flip)

I've seen Zacuto's Switronix battery setup (Switronix :: Shop By Manufacturer :: Zacuto), but I was hopeful someone might have had success with a power source and setup that would allow for longer shooting times and remove the need for multiple batteries on each independent accessory. The zacuto power setup would end up being around $1200. Any alternatives?

Thanks,
Brandon

Lars Nilsson January 3rd, 2009 07:10 AM

Hi
I'm using a Tekkeon MP3700 battery for a similar setup (XH-A1, Brevis and Carrion monitor) and I'm happy with it. The Tekkeon is only powering the external monitor though. I attach the battery to the rails, under the Brevis - that way it doesn't make the rig "bigger". The running time for powering the Carrion monitor is about 2,5 hours.
Tekkeon - myPower ALL, MP3300/MP3400/MP3450
/Lars

Brandon Paschal January 10th, 2009 11:46 PM

Any other Accessories Powered?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lars Nilsson (Post 988069)
Hi
I'm using a Tekkeon MP3700 battery for a similar setup (XH-A1, Brevis and Carrion monitor) and I'm happy with it. The Tekkeon is only powering the external monitor though. I attach the battery to the rails, under the Brevis - that way it doesn't make the rig "bigger". The running time for powering the Carrion monitor is about 2,5 hours.
Tekkeon - myPower ALL, MP3300/MP3400/MP3450
/Lars

Thanks for the response. Is there a particular reason you just power the monitor and not the rig or any other accessories?

Thanks,

--Brandon

Lars Nilsson January 11th, 2009 03:25 AM

The monitor is the "weakest link", the one that is out of power first. Camera batteries last many hours and are easy to change, the Brevis runs forever on a charge. Next purchase for me is probably another Tekkeon to double the running time for the Carrion.

Brandon Paschal January 12th, 2009 08:01 PM

Image of the rig?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lars Nilsson (Post 992980)
The monitor is the "weakest link", the one that is out of power first. Camera batteries last many hours and are easy to change, the Brevis runs forever on a charge. Next purchase for me is probably another Tekkeon to double the running time for the Carrion.

Do you happen to have an image of your rig by chance?

Lars Nilsson January 13th, 2009 12:55 AM

Here:
Cinevate - Home of the Brevis35 • View topic - My XH-A1 rig

Rob Cook January 18th, 2009 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lars Nilsson (Post 994081)

Hey Lars,
In your photo, It looks like the DTC-1000 Component Video Cable has BNC connectors plugged into the monitor? Is that so? It looks like you had it shortened down (the cable) and BNC connectors installed.

Lars Nilsson January 19th, 2009 06:18 AM

Hi Rob
Yes that's correct. I couldn't find a d4-to-bnc cable on the market so I made one myself (to get rid of the annoying bnc plugs).
It was easy, just cutting off the rca connectors and solder bnc connectors instead. There are instructions to be found on the internet, I never soldered anything before :-) I can't see any loss in image quality so the operation was successful. I must admit I was a bit nervous that I should do something wrong and short circuit the monitor whatever.
Lars

Rob Cook January 19th, 2009 09:55 AM

Lars, Thanks! Looks like you did a great job!

Brandon Paschal March 21st, 2009 05:08 PM

Tekkeon Mount?

Lars,

Thanks again for always being in touch. I'm about to move forward with the Tekkeon, but I was curious as to whether or not (1) you had to purchase a separate connector to plug into your monitor and (2) how you're mounting the tekkeon on your rig. It looked as though it was laying on the rails.

I have a call into the sales group to see if it's possible to power multiple devices with it. At a minimum I'd like to have the FS-C and the iKan monitor powered. Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks,

--Brandon

Lars Nilsson March 22nd, 2009 02:36 AM

1 Many different plugs come with the Tekkeon battery and one of them fit into the Carrion.
2 Yes it's laying on the rails, just supported with gaffer tape. Not the ideal solution but since I never take it away it doesn't matter so much that it's not flexible.
A better option is the LSDesign Tekkeon holder:
lsdesign-catalog

Lars

Brandon Paschal March 29th, 2009 10:56 AM

Tekkeon information ..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lars Nilsson (Post 1031532)
1 Many different plugs come with the Tekkeon battery and one of them fit into the Carrion.
2 Yes it's laying on the rails, just supported with gaffer tape. Not the ideal solution but since I never take it away it doesn't matter so much that it's not flexible.
A better option is the LSDesign Tekkeon holder:
lsdesign-catalog

Lars, as always. thanks for the help. I've yet to hear from them, but I hope to soon.