Canon upgrades - XH A1s and XH G1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 5th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon upgrades - XH A1s and XH G1s

Canon XH A1S + XH G1S see picture.... and news in german:
VIDEOAKTIV - Neue S-Klasse: Canon XH A1S und XH G1S in HDV
Attached Thumbnails
Canon upgrades - XH A1s and XH G1s-xha1s.jpg  
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:04 AM   #2
Major Player

The best upgrade is the ability to focus and zoom at the same time.
Anyone want to buy two canon xha1's ? haha
John Estcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:32 AM   #3
Wrangler

Yeah, I'm also happy to see what looks like more robust ports: a 6-pin firewire port and a metal headphone jack? And the two component outs looks nice. Seems they fixed the line in / mic in issue too. I hope there is now an option to assign the image stabilizer to a button.
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:49 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Don't see any reason to sell mine yet, beside the fact that the "improved" xh-a1 is 1000 euro more expensive I don't see that many changes that would justify paying this extra cash for it.

From what I can read beside the focus/zoom combo thing a noise reduction filter might be interesting if this would help when filming in darker areas.

I don't have my xh-a1 that long but untill now I haven't found an easy way to turn off/on the OIS, in the poll that I found here it seems a missing feature and that is by far the only improvement Canon should have made for me. Not so sure if they did this now with the new version but it should be possible to do this in a firmware update and link it to a custom key? If they didn't make this change it's proof that canon doesn't listen to their clients.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 04:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

It seems, that they also use more solid screws for the ext. mic holder now. It would be interesting to know, if some of the new 'internal features' may be transferred to the 'old' A1 by a firmware update.
Jan Luethje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 04:34 AM   #6
New Boot

Canon upgrades - XH A1s and XH G1s

The XH A1s:

Canon XH A1s HD Camcorder - Canon UK

The XH G1s:

Canon XH G1s HD Camcorder - Canon UK
Old November 5th, 2008, 04:50 AM   #7
Regular Crew

This is what everyone's been waiting for :D
looks like Canon's sticking to CCDs
Colin Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #8
Inner Circle

A stop-gap model while they prepare the CMOS version? Sony did the same sort of thing going from the PD150 to the 170.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 06:09 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

One of the best feature set upgrades:

Canon CPS Video Support
Canon’s exclusive CPS Video Support offers users
a priority repair service and email and phone support
from a dedicated team.

Looks like many of the improvements (in audio, etc.)
are borrowed directly from the recent XL H1S / H1A.

Look for the Canon USA press releases later this morning.

Re: the two component output terminals... the lower one
is the standard one for SD / HD video output. The upper
one is an extra EVF output.
Attached Thumbnails
Canon upgrades - XH A1s and XH G1s-canon_xhg1s_bsl_lcd.jpg   Canon upgrades - XH A1s and XH G1s-canon_xha1s_fsr.jpg  

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 06:38 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I don't have my xh-a1 that long but untill now I haven't found an easy way to turn off/on the OIS, in the poll that I found here it seems a missing feature and that is by far the only improvement Canon should have made for me.
Agreed. And push autofocus via a lanc controller would be nice too. I wonder if the new models offer these functions?
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #11
Regular Crew

This is exactly what Canon reps told me, we should be looking out for more info throughout Christmas and expect to see at the next CES show.
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #12
Inner Circle

C'mon Canon. A proper sharp-edged, masked (shadowed) aspect ratio hood is what's needed. Barn door lens cap if you must, but the current hood just doesn't look a patch alongside Sony's far more expensive one. And with focal lengths so short, money put here is money well spent.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #13
Tourist

Optional Hard Disk Drive Recording?

What do you think support for FS-CV DTE Recorder will be? Don't all cameras support this??

Last edited by Mark Labriola; November 5th, 2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Nube mistake
Mark Labriola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Don't see any reason to sell mine yet, beside the fact that the "improved" xh-a1 is 1000 euro more expensive I don't see that many changes that would justify paying this extra cash for it.

From what I can read beside the focus/zoom combo thing a noise reduction filter might be interesting if this would help when filming in darker areas.

I don't have my xh-a1 that long but untill now I haven't found an easy way to turn off/on the OIS, in the poll that I found here it seems a missing feature and that is by far the only improvement Canon should have made for me. Not so sure if they did this now with the new version but it should be possible to do this in a firmware update and link it to a custom key? If they didn't make this change it's proof that canon doesn't listen to their clients.
It's not supposed to make you sell yours, it's for people looking to add a second one to their roster or incentive for people who haven't got one yet.

That said I would have liked to see HDMI and an optional CF card reader, I told canon that like half a year ago, but what can you do.

However I'm almost positive late '09 shipping possibly in '10 we'll see solid state upgrades. Obviously expect a solid state upgrade to the XL series before then, maybe a prototype at NAB.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders