DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH A1 w/ WD-H72 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/137403-xh-a1-w-wd-h72.html)

Oliver Darden November 7th, 2008 10:11 PM

XH A1 w/ WD-H72

Any one use this combo (XH A1 + WD-H72) with good results, I know it's not going to looks like a "real" wide angle lens, but does it do the job? Any footage online would be cool too see if anyone has any posted somewhere.

Canon | WD-H72 72mm 0.8x Wide Angle Lens | 1724B001 | B&H Photo

Thanks,
O.D.

Randy Panado November 7th, 2008 11:05 PM

Yup, I use this for weddings I film as it helps to have that little extra in a place where you can't move back much more. It's on the camera 95% of the time.

I don't have any sample clips for you, sorry. I will have some in a few weeks though as I don't edit most of the videos we shoot. It does stay sharp all the way thru.

I HIGHLY recommend it, try ebay. You may be able to get it much cheaper than it's retail price if you don't need it right away.

Steve Wolla November 7th, 2008 11:37 PM

Yeah, I have this combo, it's great. Only disadvantage is its weight. But its not so bad. Great, optically. I really recommend it. It's a bargain at around $400.

Randy Panado November 8th, 2008 06:37 AM

Oh yeah, the weight..lol.

I forgot to mention that it is ALOT more weight than you think you're adding on if you shoot primarily hand held. As steady as my hand was on the DVX and FX1 I used to shoot with, I have a little bit of shake when shooting for a long period of time handheld with this badboy attached.

I've gotten some sharp pains in my wrist/forearm a few times when I pushed it too long so exercise caution.

Oliver Darden November 8th, 2008 05:42 PM

cool guys, thanks for the info!

Michael Kraus November 8th, 2008 06:16 PM

I think this lens doesn't allow external filters. Is this correct?

If so it's something to be aware of if you can't protect the lens while shooting.

Benjamin Hill November 8th, 2008 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver Darden (Post 960980)
Any one use this combo (XH A1 + WD-H72) with good results, I know it's not going to looks like a "real" wide angle lens, but does it do the job? Any footage online would be cool too see if anyone has any posted somewhere.

Canon | WD-H72 72mm 0.8x Wide Angle Lens | 1724B001 | B&H Photo

Thanks,
O.D.

Good piece of glass, I used it on this doc for Big Ten Network:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Jack Walker November 9th, 2008 02:05 AM

I use the Canon wide-angle adapter wd-h72 and find it excellent.

I also have the Century .6x. It is also excellent. (It also only weighs 8.9 oz. It is an adapter so it is not 100% zoomable, but it is zoomable through about 1/3-1/2 the camera's range.):
.6X WIDE ANGLE ADAPT HD CANON - Schneider Optics

The Century .6x works well with the Merlin (with newer gimble), because it is lightweight.

Petri Kaipiainen November 9th, 2008 05:35 AM

WD-H72 is an exelent piece of glass, but makes the camera badly front heavy. Ok with tripod, but a killer to handhold for any length of time.

I have also the century 0.6X, only for real wide angle needs, can not be zoomed much.

James Hooey November 9th, 2008 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Kraus (Post 961208)
I think this lens doesn't allow external filters. Is this correct?

That is correct, no filter threads

Tom Hardwick November 9th, 2008 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Hooey (Post 961396)
That is correct, no filter threads

And for very good reason. At these sort of focal lengths any filter adds two more imperfectly clean surfaces in front of the lens. It adds to the flare levels and generally spoils image quality. Avoid.

Colin McDonald November 9th, 2008 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick (Post 961463)
And for very good reason. At these sort of focal lengths any filter adds two more imperfectly clean surfaces in front of the lens. It adds to the flare levels and generally spoils image quality. Avoid.

Fair enough. If there was a compelling need for for, say a polarising filter, would it be possible to mount it in between the fixed lens and the WD-H72? Would that be any better (anyone tried it)?

Jack Walker November 9th, 2008 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin McDonald (Post 961484)
Fair enough. If there was a compelling need for for, say a polarising filter, would it be possible to mount it in between the fixed lens and the WD-H72? Would that be any better (anyone tried it)?

Not possible because the WD-H72 extends past the threads. A filter would block being able to put on the adapter.

James Hooey November 9th, 2008 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick (Post 961463)

Agreed, I use the Redrock Micromattebox which allows for 4X5.56mm filters if needed and no chance of lense flares. There is a slight bit of vingetteing that can occur though unless you move the mattebox deeper than usual over the WD-H72 lens....or zoom through (but why ruin the wide angle....)

Will Mahoney November 10th, 2008 10:12 AM

I love the WD-H72!

Oliver,
I've been using the WD-H72 for a while now and I really love it. I do mostly automotive stuff (product installations/demonstrations, vehicle/owner bios, etc.), as I work for a large truck accessory company.

The WD-H72 has come in real handy for getting up close and personal with vehicles. I really like it a lot.

BUT: Everybody is right about the weight. I'm not stretching too much to say that this thing feels like it doubled the weight of your camera. And my mid-level tripod is forever trying dip forward. And no, you cannot use filters and whatnot with this installed. It screws into the front of the A1 and has a lip that extends further back than the threads. And really, this thing is heavy and it would probably rip any filter right off of your lens.

Here are some examples of stuff I shot with it: MOST of this footage is with the adaptor installed. I usually leave it on for most situations, as it doesn't take away any of the reach of my zoom and allows me to get much closer to my subject:

Classic Car show (outdoors):
Classical Cruisers By Will Mahoney On ExposureRoom

Another Classic Car Show (Indoors):
2008 Cleveland Auto-Rama By Will Mahoney On ExposureRoom

Product Installation/Information (Shoulder mount, Indoors.)
CoverCraft SeatSaver Seat Cover Install - StylinTrucks.com By Will Mahoney On ExposureRoom

Hope this helps.

Tom Hardwick November 10th, 2008 11:35 AM

Terrific sharpness in your footage Will - I'm impressed!

Will Mahoney November 11th, 2008 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick (Post 961788)
Terrific sharpness in your footage Will - I'm impressed!

Get outta here with that nonsense!

Seriously: I've only been doing this for a few years and learn a lot by just doing it. I appreciate your kind words.

Oliver Darden November 12th, 2008 12:11 AM

Will, I really like the "2008 Cleveland Auto-Rama" clip as it really shows how wide it can get when you move the camera in on the bikes and cars.

Thanks so much for this video, and thanks everyone for the comments as I will definitely get one of these but will also keep the weight issue in mind. That could be a problem for me as 90% of my work is done with a tripod (501 head) and I couldn't have is slowly drooping down during a big scene, that scares me.

Will Mahoney November 12th, 2008 08:03 AM

Thanks! Be sure to post some footage for us when it's ready!

Jack Walker November 12th, 2008 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver Darden (Post 962451)
Thanks so much for this video, and thanks everyone for the comments as I will definitely get one of these but will also keep the weight issue in mind. That could be a problem for me as 90% of my work is done with a tripod (501 head) and I couldn't have is slowly drooping down during a big scene, that scares me.

Bogen makes extra long plates for their fluid heads that should allow you to balance the camera with the wide angle adapter attached. Here is the one for the 501 head:
Bogen / Manfrotto | 501PLONG Quick Release Video | 501PLONG

Slava Alekseev February 28th, 2009 11:32 PM

I've been using the WD-H72 with Glidecam 2000 Pro last weekend. I wouldn't say it was heavy to hold XH A1 with WD-H72 on a Glidecam. But it was difficult to step on the ground. So my shots were jerky and I applied plug-in Mercalli in post (Sony Vegas). Anyway you can see how WD-H72 works on my website (Samples/Rain Forest). I shot everything it in 24f, 1/48, wide angle and zoom. All shots are made with WD-H72 lens.

Best,
Slava

Lou Bruno March 2nd, 2009 07:44 PM

Nice Job!! I shoot my car shows with the Wide Angle as well. I use a DV MULTIRIG due to the front weight of the camera.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will Mahoney (Post 961754)
Oliver,
I've been using the WD-H72 for a while now and I really love it. I do mostly automotive stuff (product installations/demonstrations, vehicle/owner bios, etc.), as I work for a large truck accessory company.

The WD-H72 has come in real handy for getting up close and personal with vehicles. I really like it a lot.

BUT: Everybody is right about the weight. I'm not stretching too much to say that this thing feels like it doubled the weight of your camera. And my mid-level tripod is forever trying dip forward. And no, you cannot use filters and whatnot with this installed. It screws into the front of the A1 and has a lip that extends further back than the threads. And really, this thing is heavy and it would probably rip any filter right off of your lens.

Here are some examples of stuff I shot with it: MOST of this footage is with the adaptor installed. I usually leave it on for most situations, as it doesn't take away any of the reach of my zoom and allows me to get much closer to my subject:

Classic Car show (outdoors):
Classical Cruisers By Will Mahoney On ExposureRoom

Another Classic Car Show (Indoors):
2008 Cleveland Auto-Rama By Will Mahoney On ExposureRoom

Product Installation/Information (Shoulder mount, Indoors.)
CoverCraft SeatSaver Seat Cover Install - StylinTrucks.com By Will Mahoney On ExposureRoom

Hope this helps.

Will Mahoney March 3rd, 2009 09:57 AM

Hey, that multi-rig is pretty cool! I've just been working with the home-made shoulder mount that we built here.

Here's the tutorial:
Will Mahoney's Tutorials - A1 Shoulder Mount for Nothing.