DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Editing in HD With Avid and HX A1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/138608-editing-hd-avid-hx-a1.html)

Daniel Fessak November 28th, 2008 09:24 PM

Editing in HD With Avid and HX A1

Hey all...

So I have decided to get the HX A1 in the next few weeks. When I edit I use Avid, Xpress Pro specifically. Now people here say to shoot in HD, then downconvert to SD later.

What is the best way to do that? Should I downconvert right away when importing the footage to my computer, or should I import and edit it in HD, then downconvert later when exporting when burning it onto a DVD?

Also, the HX A1 works with the latest version on Xpress Pro, right? I checked on the Avid forums and the best I could get from anyone is that they are pretty sure it does, but no one seems to be 100% on it. Can anyone here confirm?

Bill Pryor November 28th, 2008 10:06 PM

Avid will not accept Canon's 24f mode. So if you're using Avid, do not shoot in 24F.
I shoot everything 24f, HDV, capture in HDV in a 23.98 timeline, edit in HDV, and convert to SD on final export to whatever I need. Using FCP.

Terry Martin November 29th, 2008 01:58 AM

Daniel,

My experience is almost all XhA1 and Avid, starting with express pro 5.2.4, and moving on with the herd to Media Composer 3.0.

As Bill said, don’t expect 24F support, but I understand that may be coming with the next MC update.

I shoot 60i HDV, capture to Avid and then immediately transcode the GOP HDV to Avid’s DNxHD145. Now editing and effects require less CPU but more hard disk. Ultimately I export the sequence in QT reference and use Sorenson or Procoder to produce SD DVD quality mpeg2. I tried all the other methods of shooting SD or HD, and for me the above workflow is reliable and produces the best results.
Terry

Jack Walker November 29th, 2008 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Martin (Post 970223)
As Bill said, don’t expect 24F support, but I understand that may be coming with the next MC update.

I am about to buy build a new editing machine, and I was strongly considering MC 3. However, almost everything I am doing now is XH-A1 24f and JVC ProHD 24p.

I also will be using 24p from a Canon small camera, which requires that the 24p be stripped out of a 60i stream.

I am not waiting for the next update from Avid. MC 3 then, right now, is not the editor I want, is that right?

(The last update I waited for from Avid took 2.5 years, and at the beginning of those 2.5 years, it was just around the corner.)

I have CS3, so I guess I'll just try that (and maybe get a BlackMagic card). I have also been strongly considering Edius, but I'm not sure. I don't know if I need Canopus hardware or not. (I have used Procoder for years and other Canopus apps, so I trust the company, and I've used grass valley equipment for 20 years, so they seem safe.)

Peter Szilveszter November 30th, 2008 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 970185)
Avid will not accept Canon's 24f mode. So if you're using Avid, do not shoot in 24F.
I shoot everything 24f, HDV, capture in HDV in a 23.98 timeline, edit in HDV, and convert to SD on final export to whatever I need. Using FCP.

This only applies to NTSC users, PAL I have no issues at all capturing at 25f in a 1080i HDV project.

Daniel Fessak December 1st, 2008 01:27 PM

Does Final Cut support 24f? I'm not a fan of it, but if worst comes to worst can I just edit 24f using FC 5.0.04?

Bill Pryor December 1st, 2008 04:59 PM

FCP does support it, but you have to be at at least 5.1.2, I think. I may be off on those older numbers. There was a 5.0 $45 upgrade to get you to Universal, and then the subsequent upgrades were free. If you did that a couple of years ago, then you should be OK. But, I think it's in the 5.1 series, not 5.0. It could be 5.0.4, not 5.1.4. It's been awhile since I did that so I don't remember for sure. You should have an Easy Setup setting called HDV1080P24. If that's there, then you're OK for 24F.

Mark Fry December 2nd, 2008 10:22 AM

XH-A1 works well with Avid Liquid 7.2, interlaced and progressive, PAL and NTSC. I'm told that Vegas and Edius are OK too. Final Cut is only an option if you use a Mac.

When editing HDV, Liquid does everything in MPEG2, so no transcoding required, though you have options for higher-quality codecs for anything that is rendered. On the other hand, it's heavy on your CPU. Edius has the option of Canopus' HQ intermediate codec, which I think is a wavelet codec, not MPEG2/4-style block-compare. Apparently it's very efficient. Vegas grew out of audio editing, and has a very different interface from other NLEs. Some love it, others don't. All of them have free trial versions available - highly recommended if you are thinking of changing.

Edius 5 has just been released. Liquid will be replaced by a "new" product (but I'd bet it's still Liquid underneath) next year, probably at NAB.

HTH