DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL H1a or XH A1s (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/139523-xl-h1a-xh-a1s.html)

Garrett Low December 12th, 2008 03:56 PM

XL H1a or XH A1s

I'd like to get some opions on which of these two would be a better move from my XH A1? The only reason I'm contemplating it is because I may be able to get an XL H1a for a good price.

I currently shoot with an XH A1 as my main camera and an HV20 as a backup. Most of my projects are recital, play type events. However, I am just getting into shooting indie movies. The interchangeable lenses aren't as big an attraction as being able to have a shoulder mount camera. Also, I'm not sure if the XH A1s has all of the control features of the XL H1a.

So the bottom line is, would you pay approximately $800 more for the H1a over the A1s and an perhaps an even bigger question, would you upgrade from an XH A1 to either of these cameras?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing everyones opionions,
Garrett

Chris Hurd December 12th, 2008 05:17 PM

Hi Garrett, the XL H1A and XH A1S will be pretty much identical as far as controls are concerned (there are some minor operational differences such as WB and Gain; these controls are dials on the XL and switches on the XH), but they are designed to match each other in pretty much every respect except form factor (and lens mount, of course).

Tripp Woelfel December 12th, 2008 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Low (Post 977174)
So the bottom line is, would you pay approximately $800 more for the H1a over the A1s and an perhaps an even bigger question, would you upgrade from an XH A1 to either of these cameras?

No and no. But that's just where I am right now. With the type of shooting I do there's nothing the A1S can do that I need. Nor are any of the A1's deficiencies, fixed with the S model, causing me any grief. I'll stay with the one I have. Now if my needs changed, I'd consider it.

Since you currently shoot with the A1, you'll know best as to whether any of the expanded functionality in the two models you mention will help you shoot better. If those functions will, then it might be worth it.

The shoulder mounting of the H1a would have its advantages but the added size could be a detriment too. I find the A1 just the right size for what I do. Even though I'm too old, I can carry it around and shoot with it all day without getting worn out.

Garrett Low December 13th, 2008 10:56 AM

Thanks Chris and Tripp,

There are really three main features on the A1s that are very attractive to me. The first is the ability to zoom and focus simultaneously. I've run into this being a limitation on several ocassions. So far it hasn't been a fatal flaw but it's a type of shot I just don't have the ability to deliver right now.

The second is the shoulder mount. When I shoot things like parades where I'm following a group and walking with them the shoulder mount helps save my arm from falling asleep. I've tried several shoulder mount adapters but haven't found any that really balance my XH A1 very well.

Finally the ability to switch the OIS on and off without going through the menu is a really big one for me. There are often times during live shows where I will be on sticks and will have to go hand held quickly. So far I've just had to try my best to be as still as possible and keep any handheld panning as smooth as I can.

Decisions, decisions. Maybe I'm just getting itchy and want a new toy!

Thanks again for you're input,
Garrett