DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   First Attempt at wedding preview video... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/140266-first-attempt-wedding-preview-video.html)

Jeremy Nemeth December 24th, 2008 07:11 PM

First Attempt at wedding preview video...

Hey all,

This was my first attempt at a wedding preview video. It was filmed with the A1 and G1, VividRGB, and edited in CS3. No color correction. Two of my crew members are the ones that did the filming for most of whole day, but I've done the editing. Anyways, let me know what you all think.

Wedding Preview on Vimeo

Thanks! Happy Holidays to all!!

Jeremy

Nicholas Tran December 24th, 2008 11:34 PM

Took a look...

And I see where you are going. Stylistically, I get it. But personal preference, not really my thing. But that's just me.

The shot compositions (I know you didn't take them) weren't all that interesting. But, if you were going for more of a documentary/recording style, it works. The music made me think of movies that need to evoke a sense of grandeur, almost victorious... like "Armageddon" or "Pearl Harbor"... very Michael Mann...

Anyhow, that's my two cents. Not sure if that's what you are looking for...

Dennis Murphy December 25th, 2008 01:15 PM

It didn't work for me.
- I found the music too 'heroic'.
- It seemed to be more about religion than the couple - that prayer session dominated the whole thing.
- I found the hand held camera shots off-putting.

Disclaimer - just my opinion of course.

Jason Sharaba December 26th, 2008 06:20 PM

I agree about the Armeggeddon soundtrack. A little over the top for a wedding video. Your color settings looked good. :)

Also..try to use a tripod at all costs or a dolly.

Good Start.

Russ Motyko December 27th, 2008 06:45 PM

My suggestions would be to

- Cut out the prayer video and just have the audio play during the rest of the trailer. That way the audience gets to hear the prayer while you get to hide the poor quality of the prayer shot.

- Invest in tripods or steadicam rigs.

- Have your crew practice getting more dramatic/pleasing/interesting shots.

- Experiment with presets other than VividRGB. I've found that VividRGB makes skin tones too red for my preference.

Considering it was your first time, I thought it turned out well.

Jeremy Nemeth December 27th, 2008 07:27 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions...

The prayer I felt was important because religion is a big part of that family, the father of the bride was also the pastor, so that is why I put the prayer.

I felt the music was appropiate, because it is a grand and victorious day, but I see very much how it was over the top. I definately need to not be so mellowdramatic with things.

As for the handheld, I had a tripod for on camera, but not for the other. The shoulder mounts that I ordered didn't come in on time, they were 2 weeks late...

Next time, I'll be there and will be able to maintain better control of everything...

Thanks for the comments and suggestions... It helps alot...

Bill Grant January 2nd, 2009 04:05 PM

Jeremy,
There are many pieces where the dramatic music works. It did not here because the shots were not dramatic. I would say that my biggest issue was the dragging. The music was slow and the shots were long. It didn't feel like a trailer. Watch some of your favorites again. Watch the Pearl Harbor trailer. This is what we need to do with wedding video trailers. There was emotion, drama, a good sense of telling a story in a short period, and most of all I wanted to see the movie. I understand getting back footage you're not happy with, but the slow nature of this exacerbates that. Quick cuts and a more upbeat soundtrack would hide a bit of the bad camera work. Also, just tell your guys a few things for the next time. Never zoom in handheld. ever. never. It never looks as good as it does in the viewfinder. Not your fault, but for next time. Keep posting, and good luck.
BIll

Jeremy Nemeth January 3rd, 2009 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Grant (Post 987790)
Jeremy,
There are many pieces where the dramatic music works. It did not here because the shots were not dramatic. I would say that my biggest issue was the dragging. The music was slow and the shots were long. It didn't feel like a trailer. Watch some of your favorites again. Watch the Pearl Harbor trailer. This is what we need to do with wedding video trailers. There was emotion, drama, a good sense of telling a story in a short period, and most of all I wanted to see the movie.

Bill,
After reviewing the trailer multiple time since I posted this, I totally agree with everybody. I prob could've done much better, and I'm slightly disappointed in myself.. But, none the less, a learning experience of do's and don'ts and what to do better next time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Grant (Post 987790)
I understand getting back footage you're not happy with, but the slow nature of this exacerbates that...
Also, just tell your guys a few things for the next time. Never zoom in handheld. ever. never. It never looks as good as it does in the viewfinder.

Funny thing about that zoom... I informed one of my guys, who we got rid of after this, to stop zooming and pay more attention, and the guy in charge had a chat with him too about that at the begining of the day. But, he didnt listen.. Oh, well... Live and learn, Right?

Next time will be better...

Thanks for the comments.

-Jeremy