DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   More PFVision stuff... very interesting. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/141798-more-pfvision-stuff-very-interesting.html)

Bill Grant January 18th, 2009 01:17 AM

More PFVision stuff... very interesting.

Hey guys,
I posted a short clip of PF vision that I had modified at a wedding to turn on NR2. I shot a punk rock show tonight and PFvision is the only way I got through it( I turned off NR2 because I didn't use gain AT ALL). I will update you on how it really looks when we get it in the editing system. But, suffice to say, it was DARK. Truecolor, etc. I had no image, and PF vision almost matched up with the old VX2100 we used as a 4th cam. We were shooting SD 4:3 for a local show, so I'm not editing. I will stay connected with the people who are...
Bill

Randy Panado January 18th, 2009 04:33 AM

Oh man....sweet! Please let me know how it goes :).

Kees van Duijvenbode January 19th, 2009 01:40 AM

When you post an example, can you please tell which version of de Preset you were using. As always with good presets it turns up in different versions.

Hubert Duijzer January 19th, 2009 04:54 AM

I used this preset saturdaynight when shooting some familyparty. There was a slideshow and the lights were turned really low. It was almost dark, comparable to candlelight. This preset was the only way to see something. I don't have the VX2100 anymore, but i think this is comparable.
I used everything from 1/50 to 1/25th shutter and -3db, +6 and even +12db. The +12db stuff was a lot brighter then the room itself, wich was almost dark. There was a pretty ugly amount of grain too. NR1 and NR2 where both on zero btw. Will test next time with NR2 on low.

This is for sure the preset to use on these dark weddingreceptions where you are struggling to find more light.

Randy Panado January 19th, 2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hubert Duijzer (Post 997335)
I used this preset saturdaynight when shooting some familyparty. There was a slideshow and the lights were turned really low. It was almost dark, comparable to candlelight. This preset was the only way to see something. I don't have the VX2100 anymore, but i think this is comparable.
I used everything from 1/50 to 1/25th shutter and -3db, +6 and even +12db. The +12db stuff was a lot brighter then the room itself, wich was almost dark. There was a pretty ugly amount of grain too. NR1 and NR2 where both on zero btw. Will test next time with NR2 on low.

This is for sure the preset to use on these dark weddingreceptions where you are struggling to find more light.

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad others are getting good results with this preset! Those dark wedding receptions were my target and I'm glad we're having success with that problem. I'm pretty stoked to hear that people are even saying my preset in the same sentence as a VX2100, lol.

If you don't mind us showing some footage, that would be great :).

Joel Peregrine January 19th, 2009 10:24 PM

Hi Bill,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Grant (Post 996746)
I posted a short clip of PF vision that I had modified at a wedding to turn on NR2.

I did some very informal testing today, also with NR2. These are jpegs off the card in still mode and reduced to 33% at 100% quality in Photoshop:

EventVideographer.com ~ XHA1 PRESETS

Striking difference. My preset is always evolving but is loosely based on TRUCOLOR.

(The trusty VX2000's in the background are packed up and going on eBay next week.)

Randy Panado January 19th, 2009 11:37 PM

That is a striking difference.

-Randy

Kees van Duijvenbode January 20th, 2009 06:26 AM

Since everybody is so lyric on this preset in low-light I sure must give it a try and test it. But I was wondering: do you use this preset also in daylight (without the +6dB gain ofcourse) or does it blow the colors to much in daylight? Ofcourse I should try myself and I will but time is not on my side.

Simon Dean January 20th, 2009 08:36 AM

The difference in those images is interesting - for low light. I'd be a little concerned at the loss of detail in the highlights. I haven't tried it myself yet, but based on the pictures the shadows look great however the highlight is suffering as a result.

Joel Peregrine January 20th, 2009 09:26 AM

Hi Simon,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Dean (Post 997950)
The difference in those images is interesting - for low light. I'd be a little concerned at the loss of detail in the highlights. I haven't tried it myself yet, but based on the pictures the shadows look great however the highlight is suffering as a result.

The way the highlights are blown out is really only because I didn't close down the iris when I changed presets. Both images are shot at 1/30 and f1.6. Needs more testing though...

Randy Panado January 20th, 2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees van Duijvenbode (Post 997903)
Since everybody is so lyric on this preset in low-light I sure must give it a try and test it. But I was wondering: do you use this preset also in daylight (without the +6dB gain ofcourse) or does it blow the colors to much in daylight? Ofcourse I should try myself and I will but time is not on my side.

I've used it for outdoor weddings. If the shadows aren't too drastic, it's no problem. I was having a hard time with some of the other presets because they would crush the blacks. When the ceremony was in a shaded spot, it'd cause me to bump up the iris wide open blowing out everything in the sun light (the guests and lots of the background). With this preset, it is able to keep more detail in the shadows, so if I'm exposing for the highlighted area, I can bump it down but not lose that part of the picture that's in the shadows.

So although it's not as cinematic (since most of the presets that crush the blacks are considered more cinematic looking), it suits my shooting style.

Joel Peregrine January 20th, 2009 05:19 PM

Hi Randy,

Is this your preset? Really well done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Panado (Post 998100)
I can bump it down but not lose that part of the picture that's in the shadows. So although it's not as cinematic (since most of the presets that crush the blacks are considered more cinematic looking), it suits my shooting style.

You can always make it richer in post but you can't pull detail out that isn't there to start with. I like your idea of playing it safe and shooting it more flat.

Randy Panado January 20th, 2009 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine (Post 998178)
Hi Randy,

Is this your preset? Really well done.

You can always make it richer in post but you can't pull detail out that isn't there to start with. I like your idea of playing it safe and shooting it more flat.

Hi Joel,

Yes it is :). Thanks for the compliments!

If you look in the xh clips sub forum, I explain the full story behind the name and preset. I can't take full credit as it's a mix of Giovanni Speranza's PanaFilm & Vision01 and Papa's Panavision. I tweaked it to my liking to fix the gamma and shadow details because originally it didn't fit the use of reception low light shooting.

I agree about the part about shooting it flat. The preset still has accurate skin tones and colors though.