DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HD Monitoring with XH A1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/144680-hd-monitoring-xh-a1.html)

Ian Lautsch February 26th, 2009 01:34 PM

HD Monitoring with XH A1

Pretty simple question...is it possible to monitor through the component cables to a HD TV, without seeing the menu display if it is still on in LCD?

I want to be able to see the menu display in the LCD, but have it turned off on the monitor.

Marcel D. Van Someren February 26th, 2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Lautsch (Post 1018942)
Pretty simple question...is it possible to monitor through the component cables to a HD TV, without seeing the menu display if it is still on in LCD?

I want to be able to see the menu display in the LCD, but have it turned off on the monitor.

Yes, I think it is possible. I did it once, however it was using the BNC output. The setup is in the manual somewhere.

Chris Soucy February 26th, 2009 03:49 PM

Hi Ian...........

I believe you need:

Manual Page 86, "Hiding/ Showing the Displays on the TV Screen"

[Menu - Display Setup - TV Screen = Off]

The default during recording appears to be [On]. The default during playback is [Off].

CS

Kevin Lewis February 26th, 2009 04:33 PM

Be careful when you start playing with the settings. There are options that will allow you to display the settings which will also record the setting to your tape. This means that when you play back the tape, the settings will appear with the captured footage.

Ian Lautsch February 27th, 2009 12:55 AM

Hey everyone, thanks for the info, that helps a lot! I'll check it out.

Ian Lautsch February 27th, 2009 01:03 PM

ok got it to work, sweet! no menu on the monitor.

Next up, trying to calibrate the monitor to the color bars on the cam....

Seems a little tricky. I looked online for some web sites on how to set them up. I found this write up.

- Color Bars

Only thing is one of the bar colors is showing up differently than the bars image on the site. The third bar in on the bottom appears to be a violet color. But on my A1 when I output the bars it appears to be a lot more blue. All other bars look spot on....I can get it to look more violet on the HD monitor but I have to crank the setting way out. Also in the camera LCD it appears to be blue and not violet. When I adjust the lcd settings it wont even really go to the violet without making the LCD look really bad. So I am wondering if maybe the bar set is a little different? Anyone have any thoughts?

Marcel D. Van Someren February 27th, 2009 02:41 PM

The flip out LCD is not necessarily 100% color acurate so don't get crazy trying to make it look right there. Rather, shoot some color bars and check with a vector scope and adjust your camera to make sure that everything is lined up properly. You can make adjustments with the custom presets as well. White blancing will also alter the look. The A1 is definately not a point and shoot camera, but once set up properly, can produce some great images.

One last thought, purples are difficult to reproduce accurately.

Bill Busby March 1st, 2009 04:56 PM

As Marcel said, don't lose sanity trying to eyeball & correct the purple/violet issue displayed on the A1's LCD. Certain shades of those colors don't display properly on the LCD, but will be correctly displayed on a connected monitor. About the only thing you could do regarding color bars and the LCD is adjust for correct luma levels using the pluge pattern.