DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH A1 and HV30 as a 2nd cam? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/144767-xh-a1-hv30-2nd-cam.html)

Steve Rotter February 27th, 2009 03:35 PM

XH A1 and HV30 as a 2nd cam?

Hey guys, i'm new here, such a great site, i have been in video and photo and audio for years. I look forward to learning and contributing.

My first question, I have a Canon XH A1 and need a 2nd cam for weddings / ceremony only really, as I use only one at the reception. Then, of course bands, a 2nd cam is needed as well. I do have another videographer but incase he is unavailable, I need something.

I'm thinking of another XH A1 but think that may be overkill, as we only get a few video clients a year since I have been pushing photography more. I really want the HV30, and it would work great as a static cam by the drummer for band gigs! AND I suppose it would work great as a static cam at the church as well.

So my question is, do you think it's really necessary to go with another XH A1? AND, correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like the HD resolution on the XH A1 is 1440 X 1080 and the resolution of the HV30 is 1920 X 1080? Is this correct? How can it be that a smaller cam has more rez?!

Thanks!

Kevin Lewis February 27th, 2009 04:38 PM

Well, im still kind of new to the XHA1 but it seems you would end up with footage that would have two differnt looks. Seems that there would be a break in continuity. NOw also keep in mind that I have not seen footage from the HV30.

Marcel D. Van Someren February 27th, 2009 05:10 PM

All you need to do is adjust the presets in the camera to get the footage to look pretty close. Take a look at this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...v30-xh-a1.html

As far as resolution goes, the resolution on both cameras end up recording 1440X1080 to tape because that is the standard for HDV.

Kyle Ross February 27th, 2009 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Rotter (Post 1019600)
My first question, I have a Canon XH A1 and need a 2nd cam for weddings / ceremony only really, as I use only one at the reception. Then, of course bands, a 2nd cam is needed as well. I do have another videographer but incase he is unavailable, I need something.

Bands and weddings you say... well, consider that the Canon XHA1 has a bigger, better 1/3 CCD chip, compared to the consumer 1 CMOS chip Canon hv20/30/40. You WILL probably be able to match up the two, especially by using the thread that Marcel links, but they are going to work differently in low light.

I'm assuming that your bands will be playing at clubs and stuff, and weddings don't always have the best lighting (or so I've heard). You may have trouble getting the HV30 to work as well in low light situations, especially with the concerts.

Nevertheless, search Vimeo for some concerts/wedding vids shot with a HV30 and see how you think it looks. I've personally never used one, so I can't be the authority on how it'll work for ya.

Marcel D. Van Someren February 27th, 2009 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Ross (Post 1019695)
well, consider that the Canon XHA1 has a bigger, better 1/3 CCD chip, compared to the consumer 1 CMOS chip Canon hv20/30/40.

In fact the A1 has three, 1/3" chips and the HV30 has one.

Ian Wright February 28th, 2009 01:47 AM

I bought an HV30 a couple of weeks ago as a 2nd camera to my XH. I mainly record stage events for the web, so not too demanding. I recorded Tam White last week, using the HV30 to record the wide shots. Here's an example:

The Victim - Tam White & The Sermon Organ 3rio Festival Previews Video Blog

I didn't use any presets, I just white balanced and lightened the HV30 video in post. I might try presets at some point.

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd

Steve Rotter March 1st, 2009 08:28 AM

Thanks guys for the assistance! Ian, so, were you happy with the overall result? One of my friends / future videographer / suggested i buy 2 HV30s so we would have a 3 cam shoot as opposed to another XH A1 that will just be used some of the time....at weddings for an example...ceremony only. i see pros and cons and the HV30 couldn't hurt, especially on the steadicam / glidecam i have...would work wonders. the low light.... i will hit the searches and see what i find. i know the 3 ccd is going to be so much better. after the searches, i will have to weigh out saving $2000 by going with one HV30. of course if the footage is night and day, which i don't see happening, it wouldn't be worth it...but a $2000 savings, well, let's see what the footage looks like.

Ian, just saw the video, first link. I really liked it, and the HV30 looks GREAT for those wide shots! If i see some weddings that look good in the average church, i'm sold. For bands i'm not too concerned, as they have good lighting onstage most of the time!

Steve

Ian Wright March 1st, 2009 10:59 AM

was I happy with the HV30? I didn't have much time to play with it. I set it on Spotlight mode and just left it. I had to lighten the video in post. That said, this particular stage wasn't too well lit. The XH was wide open at 1/25th of a second and 0db gain.

The resultant footage was ok for my first attempt. When I get a chance, I'll try some of the other HV30 modes and tinker with the exposure. I think the answer is that I am indeed happy with it and should get more out of it as I get used to it.

It does have the advantage that it fits into the same flight case as the XH and costs a fraction of the price.

Ian

Mike Hardy March 2nd, 2009 04:34 PM

I have both Cameras, although I have just acquired the XH-A1 so can't really yet give detailed comparisons. My initial feeling is that the 25fps mode of both cameras is quite similar, and the 'cinemode' function of the HV30, when combined with its 25fps mode, set at 1/50th Tv, looks reasonably similar, in my estimation, to the XH-A1 footage. Obviously, the XH A1 is a superior instrument, and the HV30 could NEVER quite equal it in image quality, but I am confident that with a little tinkering, these cameras can be matched as well as anything that you would care to try and match.

Steve Rotter March 3rd, 2009 01:41 PM

thanks guys. i checked out a lot of footage on vimeo of the HV30 and really do like it a lot. i'm sure i will be picking up one of these fine cameras. actually, i just can't think of a reason to NOT have one. it would really come in handy on a lot of shoots i'm sure. i always shoot in 29.97, and i'm not sure if the HV30 has that mode. i can't stand the video look of 60i and 24 looks a little too jerky so i go with the 29.97. if i get the HV30 i guess i will have to shoot in either 60 or 24.

Mark Fry March 6th, 2009 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Rotter (Post 1021585)
thanks guys. i checked out a lot of footage on vimeo of the HV30 and really do like it a lot. i'm sure i will be picking up one of these fine cameras. actually, i just can't think of a reason to NOT have one. it would really come in handy on a lot of shoots i'm sure. i always shoot in 29.97, and i'm not sure if the HV30 has that mode. i can't stand the video look of 60i and 24 looks a little too jerky so i go with the 29.97. if i get the HV30 i guess i will have to shoot in either 60 or 24.

I'd double-check that if I were you. I have a memory that the US-version of the HV30 includes 30P as well as 24P and 60i. That was one of the changes over the original HV20. Of course, here in 50Hz PAL-land it's not an issue.

Brian David Melnyk March 6th, 2009 10:41 AM

i'm looking at a hv 30 also, to get alternate angles for interviews (more variety and also to guard against drop out etc.), and because i can strap it to goofy moving things without having a heart attack....
anyway, i read that link and wondered why one would try to match the brilliant XH-A1, in camera, to a 'lesser' and apparently more hyped camera? why not CC the HV 30 in post and save the setting(s) for future projects?
anyway, i'd love to hear more from people who are using this dual camera set up, tips, suggestions, problems, wonderful advantages that make me want to give even more $$$$$ for gear!!! thanks.

Ian Wright March 6th, 2009 10:59 AM

for my first attempt, I did cc in post but my requirements are fairly relaxed as the video is intended to be seen on a web browser.

Others may need to attain higher standards for broadcast or client use and the match will be better if some matching is done by the cameras. I don't think that necessarily implies that the quality of the XH will be compromised.

Ian

Scott Millar March 6th, 2009 11:46 AM

don't forget to use the hv30 as the capture deck :)

Steve Rotter March 7th, 2009 10:34 AM

i'm now thinking of the HG20, hard disk recording.