DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Video One Repair? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/212602-video-one-repair.html)

Ray Thomas April 18th, 2009 04:58 PM

Video One Repair?

Has anyone used Video One Repair in Newbury Park, CA? I am looking at getting service for my XH-A1. Their website states that they specialize in Canon and Sony prosumer gear only. Any feedback on them would be appreciated. Thanks.

Darin Clifton April 19th, 2009 11:36 AM

Hope you get an answer......

I posted this on April 14 - no replies.........

[Recommended Service Center ??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to have my A1 cleaned ( basic check-up ) . I am not having problems - just want to avoid them .

I am in Alabama , USA. Where would you recommend that I send it ??

Thanks for your help]

I also sent a request to Video One - this was my reply -

"Thank you for your inquiry. Cleaning on this model camcorder is $89.95. If you would like to speak to a technician before sending in your camcorder please call us anytime. We look forward to doing business with you.

Thank You,

Sheryl Bahr

Canon Camcorder Repair | Sony Camcorder Repair

Toll Free Phone Number: 1-888-283-2228"

I'd really like a recommendation & not just send my equipment to anyone .

Hopefully we'll get some feedback.

Ray Thomas April 19th, 2009 03:22 PM

Video One

Thanks for your response. I did find some feedback at a skater video forum. The guy there said that they saved him some serious $$ by cannibalizing another camera to rebuild his broken Sony lens assembly. It ended up costing him about half what he would have paid going direct to Sony. He seemed to be pretty happy with their work. I also got a response to a posting over at DVXUser.com and he was satisfied with their work too. He said they replaced a broken firewire port on his H1 and did a good job. Other than that there isn't much else out there about them. All in all that is probably a good thing as most feedback tends to be because someone had a bad experience and they are trying to get the word out.

I will be out in LA in mid-May and I might stop by to check them out. If anyone else has any feedback on Video One it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Ray

John B. Coons April 19th, 2009 11:16 PM

Video One - Great Company!

My XH-A1 was having a intermittent problem with the casette mechanism - I called Video One and spoke with their senior tech. Had to have it repaired ASAP, so sent it to them on Monday via FedEx Overnight. Got it back as promised on Friday. (Tennessee to California to Tennessee). That's the good news... now for the bad. They called and said the problem was so intermittent it only failed once during the day they were testing it. The only sure fix was to replace the entire mechanism (motor, gears, and video head) for a repair cost of about $600 plus the FedEx shipping. I spent about 30-45 minutes discussing the problem/options with them and felt they were very competent, so I authorized the repair. When I got the camera back, it was thoroughly cleaned... and they guarantee the entire camera (not just the part they fix) for 6 months. I highly recommend them!

Charles Dasher April 20th, 2009 01:33 AM

I have had several positive experiences using Video One Repair

Steve Sobodos April 22nd, 2009 12:01 PM

I too had a good experience. Dropped my XHA1 and cracked the case at the base. Insurance covered all but $500, good turn around.