DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Got tired of waiting for scarlet... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/234412-got-tired-waiting-scarlet.html)

Sean Love May 1st, 2009 09:19 AM

Got tired of waiting for scarlet...

So insted I opted for a an Xh-A1 + M2 encore + flip + Redrock matte (and follow focus package). I also got their shoulder mount kit.... I think I spoiled my self a little bit... oh well.

I went with this purchase for a couple of reasons. We have a script set to shoot by the end of the year. Scarlet has been pushed back and there is no word on when the 2/3'rds is going to come out yet (only rumors on the s35 by maybe sept).

Other reasons are based on alot of the footage I have seen here from you guys on the forum and from features that have been shot on it (and even less i.e. the XL2 with adapters such at the letus and breavis).

Any way, cant wait for my stuff to arrive so I can start test shooting. Havnt had a camera in my hand since I sold my xl2 a year and a half ago!

P.S. Also have to start shopping for 35mm nikon lenses to...

Ramiro Belanger May 1st, 2009 06:10 PM

Good choice, you won't be disappointed :)

Cole McDonald May 1st, 2009 06:14 PM

How much did that set you back?

Michael Robertson May 2nd, 2009 10:14 AM

dang

Very nice step up from a XL2.

Bill Pryor May 2nd, 2009 04:09 PM

I concur, good choice. Also, even if the Scarlet was released on schedule, I don't think it's a good idea to buy the first generation of a new camera...let somebody else do that.

John Stakes May 3rd, 2009 11:29 AM

Sean great choice there. I am in love with the Redrock Mattebox, just couldn't afford it. Get yourself a nice Nikon 1.4 and you will be ready to roll!

Be sure to post pics of the new rig!

JS

Christopher Warwick May 5th, 2009 06:41 PM

I think you made the right choice also as I was exactly of that mind back in December. I would love the Scarlet but for me at that time it was a year away. Plus Bill is right, let another enthusiast work out the early niggles.

It's taken since December for me to finally get my entire kit together. I'm still missing the follow focus system, since I had to wait to get all my lenses before I could choose the right gear sizes. (Silly Redrock loses a sale by only offering 3 out of the 4 gears, why not offer all 4?).

My kit so far is:
XH A1
WD-H72 Wide-Angle Lens.
Redrock Micro Mattebox
Redrock Micro Shoulder Mount kit
Miller DS20 Solo (tripod)
Cinevate Proteus carbon rod support (rails)

Letus Elite DoF adapter with Nikon AI mount.

Prime Lenses:
Nikon 24mm F2.8 (for those extra wide landscape/building shots)
Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 35mm F2 ZF (landscape use)
Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZF (general purpose - main lens)
Nikon Micro 55mm F2.8 (for close-up product shots)
Nikon Telephoto 85mm F1.4 (for portrait shots)

Sound:
SD 302 Field Mixer
Sennheiser 112p radio mic kit
Sennheiser SKP500 plug in radio transmitter
2 X Rode NTG-3 Shotgun mics (Only got two because I got offered a great deal on 2nd)
Rycote WS4 modular windshield kit
Lightwave Audio G5 carbon boom pole

Plus various mixer looms, mic stands, mic suspensions for use in my home made sound booth, etc. I also splashed out on a Cinebag production bag because they looked very cool.

I need to order the follow focus soon and my kit should be complete. I plan to make a dolly system using PVC pipes and plans from the internet. I'd love to be gifted enough to make a jib, but it will have to wait. My dream come true would be able to afford a Steadicam Pilot.

First I have to work to pay for what I have so far! Such is life. Hope you have as much fun assembling your kit together as I did sourcing mine.

Chris

Brendan Marnell May 15th, 2009 11:47 AM

I am wondering why you use a Letus Elite DoF adapter + Nikon mount with XHA1?

I'm thinking of upgrading from XL2 to XHA1, but I was hoping my EF Adapter XL could be used with XHA1? My lenses are mainly Canon.