DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon XH-A1 low price (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/236286-canon-xh-a1-low-price.html)

Terry Jacob May 28th, 2009 03:40 PM

Canon XH-A1 low price

I went to a camera store to check out the Canon HV30. Im trying to get into HD and make HD skateboarding and snowboarding videos. While I was there I saw a Canon XH-A1 for about $1250. I was blown away. Im thinking about buying it. I was hoping that you guys on this forum could help me decide. Since Im new to HD would the HV30 be a better choice or would the XH-A1 be better. Ive read reviews that both cameras are amazing.
thank you.

James Pierce May 28th, 2009 06:43 PM

I suppose it depends on what you need. If you want manual controls and the ability of presets, I would say get the A1. If you just want something that requires very little fiddling out of the box, smaller form factor and less out of pocket cash if you break it, get the HV30. For that price, I would assume the A1 is either a floor model (it's been on the floor as a demo, and has been banged around, manhandled and possibly dropped by numerous people) or was brought back by an unhappy buyer for technical problems (read possibly not working at 100% capacity).

If you do buy the A1, make sure you check it over and test all of its features, including popping a tape in and recording, before doing so.

Dave Burckhard May 28th, 2009 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Jacob (Post 1149887)
... While I was there I saw a Canon XH-A1 for about $1250. I was blown away. Im thinking about buying it. I was hoping that you guys on this forum could help me decide...

Simple answer: Yes.
The HV30 is a great little camera and would be easier to handle in shooting skateboarding if you're on a skateboard. The Canon XH-A1 is obviously bigger but it's still considered a small camera in the world of videography. The XH-A1 was the bigger camera with which they shot Crank 2.

My more complete answer is if you only have $1250 budgeted, get a used HV30 or similarly priced camera and spend the rest on decent audio gear and learning to edit sound. Most of the skateboarding video I've seen pretty much stinks to high heaven as far as audio goes.

Dave

Ken Wozniak May 28th, 2009 06:49 PM

I'm assuming the XH-A1 is used. Even used, $1250 is a STEAL and would make me question what was wrong with the camera.

In my opinion, for your intended use, I think the size of the XH-A1 would be a hindrance. You can carry the HV30 and a small tripod in a backpack comfortably. Both will provide outstanding video quality.

Dave (above post) has good advice on audio.

Philip Williams May 29th, 2009 05:49 AM

$1250 is an awfully low price for an XH-A1. If it works well and is cosmetically sound you might want to buy it, ebay it, and then enjoy your extra thousand dollars ;)

As far as comparing the two cameras.... well there's really no comparison. One is a fantastic point and shoot camcorder and the other is a pro level powerhouse in comparison. I do remember using an HV20 after having purchased my XH-A1 and I was completely happy that I'd spent my money on the bigger Canon. Once you're used to setting up a perfect shot with an XH-A1 in 5-10 seconds, its almost painful to have to try and do the same thing with the consumer cam controls. That's not the HV30's fault, it is what it is. But nonetheless the differences between pro cams and consumer cams really hits you in usability. Never mind the more powerful audio capabilities and XLR inputs on the XH-A1.

Of course image quality is right up there on an HV30, so if its all one can budget, its certainly possible to capture oustanding video. But you have to work harder to achieve the best possible results.

Kevin Lewis May 29th, 2009 11:22 AM

BE CAREFUL! I saw a similar deal before purcahsing my camera. I was prepared to make payment but I had a question so I called the place that was selling it. I then find out that it was for the body only..no lens! Make sure that you ask if this price is for a COMPLETE camera. Their advertisment said nothng about the slae being for the body only. Please be careful. WHen you see a low price like this, you have to ask yourself why is the price so low.

Ken Wozniak May 29th, 2009 11:35 AM

Kevin makes a good point, that's why it is recommended - when purchasing online - to purchase from the retailers endorsed by DVinfo.NET. In Terry's case, however, he found the camera at a local store, so he would know what he was getting.