DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Shooting in 24f HD newbie question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/238033-shooting-24f-hd-newbie-question.html)

Syed Imtiaz June 26th, 2009 09:29 AM

Shooting in 24f HD newbie question

Hello All,
I tried to find some information via Search regarding shooting 24f HD but couldn't find what I was looking for. My issue is that I was trying to shoot in 24F HD and I noticed in LCD that my video looked as it was segmented or sort of slow motion effect. It's little hard to explain. The footage didn't seem smooth at all while panning or zooming. I played it back to see if it was any different but it didn't seem any difference. What am I doing wrong?
I switched back to 60i and everything seemed and recorded fine. I read the manual and perhaps I missed some settings can someone help with this please?
Thanks in advance.
Syed

P.S I have XHA1s if you are wondering.

Marcel D. Van Someren June 26th, 2009 09:57 AM

It's perfectly normal for the LCD to look a little choppy when shooting at 24F or even 30F. However, if the actuall footage looks choppy, then it's probably because you didn't turn off OIS. This should only be turned on during hand-held operation, not on a tripod.

Remember though, that part of the "film look" is a result of the blurriness when panning the camera at moderate of fast speeds. Watch any movie and you will see that. 24F looks the same way.

Take a look at this video I shot in 24F...especially the jousting where I pan quickly to follow the horses and the riders. you'll notice that same kind of blurriness you see in film.

Renaissance Pleasure Faire - XH-A1 Test Footage By Marcel Van Someren On ExposureRoom

Syed Imtiaz June 26th, 2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcel D. Van Someren (Post 1163843)
It's perfectly normal for the LCD to look a little choppy when shooting at 24F or even 30F. However, if the actuall footage looks choppy, then it's probably because you didn't turn off OIS. This should only be turned on during hand-held operation, not on a tripod.

Remember though, that part of the "film look" is a result of the blurriness when panning the camera at moderate of fast speeds. Watch any movie and you will see that. 24F looks the same way.

Take a look at this video I shot in 24F...especially the jousting where I pan quickly to follow the horses and the riders. you'll notice that same kind of blurriness you see in film.

Renaissance Pleasure Faire - XH-A1 Test Footage By Marcel Van Someren On ExposureRoom

Thanks for your input and like to you video. I shoot on shoulder mount not tripod, and some of the footage was dancing etc I heard that 24F is not well suited for sports/dancing or fast moving scenes; is this correct?
I also didn't upload the footage to my computer yet since I just shot it last night, I'll review it on PC and see how choppy the actual footage is.

Marcel D. Van Someren June 26th, 2009 10:56 AM

24F is not the best for fast moving footage, but then again, you do see sports and dancing in film all the time. You just have to understand that it won't be as smooth. You can increase your shutter speed to get less blurring, but it still won't be as smooth as 60i.

Personally, I don't use OIS even for hand-held shots. With practice, you learn to stabilize the camera with how you breath and walk. Then you don't have to worry about your video getting choppy if you pan quickly because of OIS.

Joel Peregrine June 26th, 2009 11:00 AM

The frame rate is a completely personal decision. All modes have different looks and their own sets of pros and cons. On top of that what may be a pro to one person can be a con to another. For example a lot of people like the way 60i handles motion, while others like the blurred movement of progressive. The best way to decide is to shoot tests, document the settings along the way and watch the results on a monitor you expect the end viewer to have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syed Imtiaz (Post 1163852)
Thanks for your input and like to you video. I shoot on shoulder mount not tripod, and some of the footage was dancing etc I heard that 24F is not well suited for sports/dancing or fast moving scenes; is this correct?
I also didn't upload the footage to my computer yet since I just shot it last night, I'll review it on PC and see how choppy the actual footage is.

Taky Cheung June 26th, 2009 11:40 AM

You have to be very careful in panning and zooming, and motion in shooting 24F. 24F is also not good for making slow motion too.

Syed Imtiaz June 26th, 2009 11:41 AM

I've been shooting SD for 7-8 years with GL series, I am new to HD and trying to get better grip on this as I go. I guess I'll keep it on 60i for most of my shootings and just play around with 24F for test shots here and there and learn as I go.
Thanks

Ken Wozniak June 26th, 2009 01:29 PM

Syed,

Make sure you shoot in "Tv" mode, or at least a mode which allows you to control your shutter speed. I recall my camera defaulting to 1/24 shutter speed when switching to 24F mode. Set the shutter to 1/48 and lock it there for 24F mode.

Syed Imtiaz June 26th, 2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Wozniak (Post 1163945)
Syed,

Make sure you shoot in "Tv" mode, or at least a mode which allows you to control your shutter speed. I recall my camera defaulting to 1/24 shutter speed when switching to 24F mode. Set the shutter to 1/48 and lock it there for 24F mode.

Ken, I didn't try TV mode yet as I was shooting Auto. I'll try the TV mode and set the shutter as you stated. I'll let you guys know the outcome. I wanted to get more familiar with the camera first before I start manual or other cool stuff.
I am also into photography and use Nikon D300 where I shoot mostly manual where I play with white balance, shutter speed, aperture and DoF. I guess w/time I'll be able to play in Manual mode with XHA1s :)
thanks