XH-A1 On camera light! question. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 1st, 2007, 12:07 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dixon View Post
I think I am going to go with the VL-1-Li :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=144312&is=REG

I was talking with the salesperson where I bought the XH G1, and he said it should be sufficient, that lights with too much wattage will just create overexposed areas. This light also uses the same batteries as the camera so they can be re-charged with the recharger that came with the camera.

Mark
The saleman doesn't know what he is talking about, if that is the case you better not shoot outdoor because the sun has alot more wattage than that 10watts light. Get something that you can control the output, see what is important to you as far as battery or output, LED use less power but it is weak, halogen is brighter but use more power therefore needs more battery, I'm waiting for the Zylight Z90 to come out and see how it does, that seems to be the only one that would fit my need so far beside the LitePanel, although I need to check the Sony LED, I just don't know how it would blend in with tunsten light since it is an outdoor temperature. I"m currently using frezzi and it is great, just don't want to carry so much battery anymore.
I was hoping for Meryem to post a few pict of his light in action so I can see. hint hint (-:
Old September 10th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Sima SL-9 Video Light 3-Watt

I am not so pleased the XH-A1 doesn't provide the Canon Advance Accessory Shoe invented. I need a small light like the Canon VL-3 so I can light an near object such as an interview. The Canon VL-10 is too bright for the purpose causing the object looks all washed out.

I found this product that rated also 3-Watt just like the VL-3. It works great. It's also very cheap too!

http://www.simaproducts.com/products...product_id=105

However, if you ordered from their web site, you will also need to call them. Otherwise, they will ship you the SL-9X which is the silver body color version.
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #33
Major Player

that's a handy little light. thanks for the heads up on this taky.
i'm going to pick one up.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #34
Regular Crew

What light is good for A1 + Merlin combo?

I'm using the A1 on the Merlin. Currently also using a Vitacon WA lens which is pretty heavy. I'm going to change it to a 16X9 inc or other light weight WA lens in future. Will be fixing a Rode NTG-1 mic too.

I am wondering what light is suitable to be used on the A1? Taking into account all the accessories, I think it is going to max out my metal Gimbal Merlin capabilities, so need some lightweight lighting. Any recommendation? :)
Kenny Shem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:05 AM   #35
Major Player

go and check out red eye for the W.A lens and vidled lights. It think it might fit the weight of the merlin
David Chia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Camera light with 3-pin XLR

Is there any on camera light that get power from the XLR on A1? Is it even possible? I noticed all the XLR lights are 4 pins.
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #37
Contributor

The XLRs on the camera are audio inputs only. You'll need a battery belt or battery pack with the 4 pin power cable.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #38
Inner Circle

That's what I thought so too! thanks for clarifying.
Old May 18th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #39
Regular Crew

What on-camera light are you using?

I have had a Mini-Cool light for years which was fine for 4x3, but now it is just not wide enough for 16x9. Lite panels are too expensive and the wrong color temperature since most of my shooting is indoors. Other LED lights don't seem to have the throw of incandescents.

Is there an incandescent which covers the whole wide frame evenly?
John Markert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:30 AM   #40
Major Player

Man, I hate to see a post for help with no reply.

I don't know if it helps you or not, but I've got the VL-10li II video light from Canon and I am pretty happy with it. But I don't know the area you are trying to cover. I do product installations and really just need to light the area of interest (engine compartment, underneath a truck, in the trunk of a car.)

Those are my two cents.
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:40 AM   #41
Go Cycle

I use the Sachtler Reporter with the spot feature and dimmer. Looks "cool" also.
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #42
Major Player

I used to have the dedicated Canon light on my XL2, but I sold it with the camera, because I found the beam too narrow. I'm using a Bebop light now on my XH-A1, with a seperate Pro-X battery. It has barn doors & the daylight filter. Works great.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #43
Regular Crew

I also use the VL-10li, it's not amazing, but uses the same battery as the camera which comes in helpful.
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #44
Major Player

Hi,
I use a Sunpak RL20. It is cheap and very bright, however the short battery life mean you might need a couple of them. (I don't know if they have replaceable batteries)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_15_Watt.html

-Steve
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #45
Inner Circle

I am using two VL-10 together mounted on a flash bracket that takes 2 accessoires side by side on the top bar. It works very well especially in dim hotel ballroom.

For close up interview purpose, I use LP Micro. The dimmer is great.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders