DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH-A1 to the Sony DVD player monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/290307-xh-a1-sony-dvd-player-monitor.html)

Michael Thames August 17th, 2009 03:42 PM

XH-A1 to the Sony DVD player monitor

I just received the Sony DVP-FX930 DVD player to use as a monitor for my A1. I read about here ....
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sdtv-hdtv...ion-200-a.html

I posted a question on that thread but got no answer so I'm hope someone here can help. Is this the cable I should order to connect these two up? I don't see a BNC connection on my A1. Can someone explain a simple way to connect these up. I'm not real savvy when it comes to wires and which kind of connectors I need. Thanks in advance, I anxiuos to try this thing out.
BNC35C - 3.5mm Male to BNC Male Mono 75 Ohm

Battle Vaughan August 17th, 2009 05:41 PM

The BNC output is on the right side of the camera under a round plastic cover, set the av switch on the rear of the camera to v2 position. Or you can use the av cable --- miniplug on one end, goes in the av port on the rear of the camera, yellow rca plug to the monitor, red and or white to any audio inputs on the monitor or external speaker...set switch to v1 in this case. /Battle Vaughan / retired Miami Herald videographer

Chris Soucy August 17th, 2009 05:48 PM

Hi Michael.................

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Thames (Post 1235266)
I don't see a BNC connection on my A1.

It's at rear right, top of body under a circular rubber cap.

I don't quite understand why you need to order a cable for the player, the blurb says an AV cable is in the box. Does it not have a plug compatible with the A1 Video out?

CS

Michael Thames August 17th, 2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan (Post 1235710)
The BNC output is on the right side of the camera under a round plastic cover, set the av switch on the rear of the camera to v2 position. Or you can use the av cable --- miniplug on one end, goes in the av port on the rear of the camera, yellow rca plug to the monitor, red and or white to any audio inputs on the monitor or external speaker...set switch to v1 in this case. /Battle Vaughan / retired Miami Herald videographer

Oh! There it is! Thanks! It's all starting to make sense now. Then it looks like the problem is the Sony DVD player has larger jacks than my av cable. So I need to get some kind of adapter from the cable to the Sony jack.

Thanks Battle that helped alot!

Michael Thames August 17th, 2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 1235712)
It's at rear right, top of body under a circular rubber cap.

I don't quite understand why you need to order a cable for the player, the blurb says an AV cable is in the box. Does it not have a plug compatible with the A1 Video out?

CS

Thanks Chris, yes looks like I need an adaptor for the Sony in.

Ian Wright August 18th, 2009 12:39 AM

I use a sony fx850 dvd player. The av cable that came with it has 3 phono leads on the other end, audio and video. Similarly, the av lead that comes with the xh, also has 3 phono leads on the other end. I join the 2 video phonos with a phono coupler, such as Phono To Phono Female Adaptor : Phono Adaptors : Maplin . Inelegant but I haven't come across a suitable cable.

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd

Bill Busby August 19th, 2009 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Thames (Post 1235266)

I ordered one of these from the same company and never even thought of using the mini a/v connector & cable that comes with it. My experience with these mini types of connectors/cables is they eventually develop shorts or just don't make a solid connection to begin with. Not to mention adding adapters to them. I've always felt adapters are a last resort temp fix until you can get what you should have :)

Kees van Duijvenbode August 20th, 2009 04:51 AM

I use a Philips PET1030 as an external monitor and made myself a cable from BNC to minjack. I don't need sound on that external monitor.

Phil Taylor August 20th, 2009 01:04 PM

This issu8e of using a DVD player as a monitor for your camera was covered comprehensively about 1 1/2 years ago. I don't have the author's name but he explained how to hook it up (make or purchase a special cable) etc. Most DVD players can be used the same way, doesn't have to be a Sony! Some individuals took him on about the fact that the DVD monitor shouldn't be used for critical focus. But I followed his suggestions and have used the monitor to help me focus ever since. I did a search but just can't find the posts.

Alan R. Moore August 24th, 2009 08:55 AM

The advertised battery life of 6 hours I understand is playing time. How many hours is available when used as a monitor?

Thanks Alan.

Ian Wright August 24th, 2009 09:03 AM

I get at least 5 or 6 hours. With no disk to spin, it has to be longer than normal play.

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd

Michael Hutson September 22nd, 2009 06:13 PM

I got the 930. Now I have to mount it. I am looking at this. Has anyone used this for either a 830 or 930?

Delvcam | DELV-SM Swivel Mount Adapter | DELV-SM | B&H Photo