DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   capturing HDV with CS4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/371126-capturing-hdv-cs4.html)

Janson Williams September 7th, 2009 11:42 AM

capturing HDV with CS4

in FCP if i wanted to, i can let a whole tape capture and it will be broken up into clips by rec/pause presses.

in premiere pro cs4 i do see a scene detect option but not highlighted when i try and capture HDV. is it only when capturing DV?

Anybody know of and good HDV tutorials for working with Ppro? like best capture presets?

thanks for reading

~pieces

Danny Winn September 7th, 2009 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janson Williams (Post 1323800)
in FCP if i wanted to, i can let a whole tape capture and it will be broken up into clips by rec/pause presses.

in premiere pro cs4 i do see a scene detect option but not highlighted when i try and capture HDV. is it only when capturing DV?

Anybody know of and good HDV tutorials for working with Ppro? like best capture presets?

thanks for reading

~pieces

I use CS4 exclusivly but I capture a little differently then most I think.

Before I capture I watch each scene as it is played and then only capture the scenes I like. For example if an actor does 14 takes of a line but I only like 3, I will only capture those three then decide which one to use as I edit. I may be strange but I don't like having an hour or more worth of footage for a 30 second spot which still leaves me with a ton of unused footage.

The thing I don't like about CS4 is that when you capture HD the monitor picture disappears as you are capturing it forcing you to either watch your little camera screen or noting your in and out points. Supposedly the new CS series will fix this.

Bo Sundvall September 7th, 2009 01:23 PM

Hi

Google for HDVsplit, download it and capture. It desn't have batch capture functionality but it has preview and scene splitting. It can also split an already captured HDV file if it was captured with for example Adobe Premiere CS4.

It captures into m2t format compared to CS4 mpeg format but it's no problem for CS4 as it's more or less the same.

A lot of people on this forum uses HDV Split and as I understand are very pleased with it, including my self.

Regards,

/Bo

Janson Williams September 10th, 2009 09:07 PM

thank you, i will check out HDVsplit out this weekend and post what i get from it,

as for capturing the whole tape, for me, its less run time on the camera, i just rewind let it run and capture, rather than running through it marking ins and outs, then having it rewind again to capture, where it needs to rewind/fast forward a lot to cue up with the time code

Ash Varma September 19th, 2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Sundvall (Post 1324030)
Hi

Google for HDVsplit, download it and capture. It desn't have batch capture functionality but it has preview and scene splitting. It can also split an already captured HDV file if it was captured with for example Adobe Premiere CS4.

It captures into m2t format compared to CS4 mpeg format but it's no problem for CS4 as it's more or less the same.

A lot of people on this forum uses HDV Split and as I understand are very pleased with it, including my self.

Regards,

/Bo

Hi Bo,
Took your advise and used HDVsplit to capture (HDV, 24fps video) from the XH to my computer hardrive since CS4 was giving issues.
One thing I noticed is that the file size of each clip seems a bit low. Is this normal? Has the capture quality been compromised?
Thanks in advance.

Christopher Warwick September 20th, 2009 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash Varma (Post 1373722)
Hi Bo,
Took your advise and used HDVsplit to capture (HDV, 24fps video) from the XH to my computer hardrive since CS4 was giving issues.
One thing I noticed is that the file size of each clip seems a bit low. Is this normal? Has the capture quality been compromised?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Bo,

I've been using HDVSplit for a year on numerous projects and never had the capture quality compromised. I've never been able to get CS4 to capture my HD properly, so can't compare there. However, I've put finished projects back onto tape before (originally captured with HDVSplit), and so far as I can tell, there's no degradation in quality. Not on my 42" Plasma 1080i TV anyway.

Chris

Janson Williams September 23rd, 2009 03:37 PM

i see that it is only available for windows, know of any versions for the mac?