DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon XH A1 + Letus Ultimate + Nikon Lenses (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/429966-canon-xh-a1-letus-ultimate-nikon-lenses.html)

John Lofton IV September 23rd, 2009 08:29 AM

Canon XH A1 + Letus Ultimate + Nikon Lenses

7 Attachment(s)
Hey All,

I'm currently in Production for a music video and have a few days off (thankfully!). After capturing some of the footage I decided to stop by and post some still frames of what I've got.

The images were captured from 1440x1080 Final Cut Pro clips that I then brought into Photoshop and corrected for aspect ratio (changing resolution to 1920x1080).

After minimal color correction I changed the frame size to 960x540.

Here's a logistical breakdown:

Camera - Canon XH A1
Adapter - Letus Ultimate
Lens Kit - 24mm , 35mm , 50mm (x2) , 85mm
Preset - Pana35
Lighting - 1,200 HMI PAR (x2), 575w HMI Fresnel (x2), 600W Softboxes (x2)

Lighting varied scene to scene... couldn't tell you exact lighting for each set-up. I had some very experienced Grip & Key Grip helping me out.

Again, very minimal CC.

Let me know what you guys think! This is my very first project using the Letus Ultimate in combination with my camera, the Canon XH A1. I must say, I'm VERY pleased with the results thus far and can't wait for the last 2 days of shooting!

John

David W. Jones September 23rd, 2009 11:36 AM

To be honest John, I'm not too crazy about your footage.
Your focus looks soft, the lighting is poor, and the footage is noisy.
But if you are pleased, that's what counts.

Roze Hanks September 23rd, 2009 11:43 AM

Cool!

The backlighting is nice but on enlarging the stills they do look a little soft. Because of motion and not being able to grab a 'still, still'? maybe? Hey for a first effort... nice job! It's all practice, experiment, work, practice, work, practice, read, experiment, blah,blah,blah... if it "turns your crank" ...you are well on your way! Thanks for posting :-)

John Lofton IV September 23rd, 2009 12:22 PM

Thanks Guys!

David - Thanks for the reply. Lighting is one of those things I'm trying to learn more about on a daily basis! Being a low-budget, independent music video, our shooting schedule has been VERY tight. Let's just say the time I have to pre-light and tweak is almost non-existent :(

Roze - Thanks for the reply. It was hard to grab a true 'still still'. Every shot I grabbed a still from is actually a dolly shot! I'll post some of the later days stills sometime in the near future.

John Lofton IV September 24th, 2009 09:53 AM

Hey

Is there any way to remove some of the posted still-frames? My client just informed me I shouldn't be giving away too much and I would like to remove 2 still frames...

Thanks,

John