DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Which field recorder should I get to pair with Canon XH-A1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/450011-field-recorder-should-i-get-pair-canon-xh-a1.html)

Kyle Novak September 28th, 2009 01:40 PM

Which field recorder should I get to pair with Canon XH-A1?

I'm deciding between:

-An Edirol R-44 Super

or

-A Zoom H4n w/ SignVideo ENG 44

I'm leaning toward the Edirol, only because of all the hype from the Audio threads... but does anyone know if there's a way to timecode sync it with the Canon Xh-A1?

Any suggestions?

Kyle Root September 28th, 2009 08:32 PM

I was looking into this today.

Funny, I have been researching this today and came across this thread. Based on what I was reading I think the new H4n offers a lot of bang for the buck. Curious though to hear what actual owners and users have to say.

Kyle

David W. Jones September 29th, 2009 06:29 AM

Kyle, rather than base your decision to do double sound on internet forum hype, as you have stated in another thread.
I would suggest a better approach would be to decide if doing double sound is right for you, based on YOUR needs and workflow.

For example...

Are there quality issues with your current audio workflow of using a Sennheiser ME66/67 into your XH-A1?

Do you need more then 2 channels of audio?
If yes, then how many?

Will you have an audio person to mix and monitor levels, or are you going to have to do this yourself while shooting?

If it turns out you truly do have the need to record double sound, what is your budget?
You have listed 2 different scenarios with different price points?

There is not a way to sync timecode from any device with the XH-A1, but that should not be an issue.
If you need timecode sync support, then the XH-G1 has that ability.

Jay Bratcher September 29th, 2009 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David W. Jones (Post 1412925)
There is not a way to sync timecode from any device with the XH-A1, but that should not be an issue.
If you need timecode sync support, then the XH-G1 has that ability.

I have not tried it, but it is my understanding that the Tascam HD P2 will sync with any camcorder, via a video feed from the camera (it synchronizes to the frame edge from the video signal). Does anyone know how well this works?

Kyle Novak September 29th, 2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David W. Jones (Post 1412925)
Kyle, rather than base your decision to do double sound on internet forum hype, as you have stated in another thread.

There's really no other way for me to judge a product I'm ignorant about. I don't have access to any local place where I can test them out and see for myself. I do my own research, see what product I like, and then I ask on forums. It's been the way for a while. If I go to a store, the salesperson will sweet-talk me into making a purchase. People on forums are the general voice. There's no reason for them to lead me in the wrong direction, and I haven't regretted any buys I made in this fashion. I see it no different than trusting a friend.

Is there another way I don't know of?

Quote:

Are there quality issues with your current audio workflow of using a Sennheiser ME66/67 into your XH-A1?
The pre-amp in the XH-A1 is no where near the quality that true field mixers (and some recorders) would give me. This I know merely from hearing the difference on a friend's equipment. So, I'd say yes.

Quote:

Do you need more then 2 channels of audio?
If yes, then how many?
Will there ever be a situation when I'll have to record more than 5 people in positions that a boom can't cover? Probably not. At least, I can't imagine one. Will there be situations in which three people will all be talking in a place where a boom is not viable? I imagine so. I'd say 4 feels the safest. The 4th for the boom... just in case.

Quote:

Will you have an audio person to mix and monitor levels, or are you going to have to do this yourself while shooting?
That's what I want. A one-man-band sound guy who does not have to be attached to the cameraman like a parasite, and I'm not willing to pay anyone to do the job that I can just teach someone to do (albeit, not as professionally).

If it turns out you truly do have the need to record double sound, what is your budget?
You have listed 2 different scenarios with different price points?

In the end, they're close to the same price. Zoom H4n can be bought at around $299, and SignVideo ENG-44 for about ... $529 in some places. R-44 Super is around $1050. The $200 or so price difference doesn't bother me if, in fact, R-44 is a better buy in the long-run.

Quote:

I'm assuming just slating each shot would be good enough then. ?? Both of these recorders, I'm told, stay in sync for shots up to 30 min, delaying only a frame or two.

Sylus Harrington September 30th, 2009 10:00 AM

Does the H4n have the same drifting problem as the H4 with long form video? I love my H4 but find it rather useless when having to sync up with any video longer than 5-6 minutes.

Ian Wright October 1st, 2009 11:17 AM

I have a Zoom H2 and love it. It has 4 mics but jack inputs instead of XLR - not a problem for me. It does drift on long (greater than 30 mins) recordings. Again, not a problem for me.

Here's a clip where I placed the H2 on the ground in front of the musicians:
Callander Jazz Thistle Saxaphone Quartet Video Clip Festival Previews Video Blog

You wouldn't think that behind the camera, cars and trucks were thundering by. See if you can here the little bird twittering...

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd