DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Charging the battery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/461344-charging-battery.html)

Philip Younger October 1st, 2009 11:21 AM

Charging the battery

I'm suddenly not very clear about this battery charging lark. The unhelpful manual says [quote]: The charger indicator starts flashing. The indicator will stay on when the charging is complete.

I understand that to mean that you plug the battery in and the orange light flashes until the charge is completed then the orange light just stays on (i.e. no flashing).

Today is probably the first time I've actually watched it, I usually plug it in and forget it for about three hours, come back and unplug and consider that to be charged.

Watching it change a totally run down battery this morning, it flashed for about 10-15 mins then the orange light just stayed on - no way would that be fully charged.

So whats the best way of knowing when your battery is fully charged?

Oren Arieli October 1st, 2009 11:47 AM

Short of a voltmeter, it's very tough to tell the charge state of a battery (and even then, you won't have a resistance on the load). I think that cost-cutting is to blame, as there are plenty of 'smart' chargers available for other battery types (at a additional expense).

Hello Canon, are you listening? How about offering us a better charger. I'm sure there would be a line out the door willing to pay more for the peace of mind (and the ability to control charging characteristics).

Howard Churgin October 1st, 2009 01:02 PM

I would take it as an indication that the battery is not able to be charged to full capacity anymore. Similar to charging an older iPod. They seem to indicate full charge faster and drain quicker.

How old is the battery and how much use has it had?

Philip Younger October 1st, 2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard Churgin (Post 1423106)
I would take it as an indication that the battery is not able to be charged to full capacity anymore. Similar to charging an older iPod. They seem to indicate full charge faster and drain quicker.

How old is the battery and how much use has it had?

Its about 4 months old and been used no more than half a dozen times usually for about 2hrs or so per session, then re-charged. The last time I used it I ran it right down to the point where the camera shut down (mistake!)

If i just leave it charging for about 3+ hours it will usually last 2 -3 hrs, it just seems odd that Canon have not made things easier. Also I am drawn into confusion by the meaningless symbols on the charger i.e. the 0 with a picture of one star, then 50 with two stars, 75 with 3 stars the 100 with a solid bar - totally meaningless! Not something I expect to see on professional kit

Colin McDonald October 1st, 2009 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If yours goes straight from single flashes to staying on it looks like there's something wrong.

I've found that it does as indicated on the charger ie single flash for a period, changing to a double then a triple flash, then staying on continuously.

Philip Younger October 2nd, 2009 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin McDonald (Post 1423845)
If yours goes straight from single flashes to staying on it looks like there's something wrong.

I've found that it does as indicated on the charger ie single flash for a period, changing to a double then a triple flash, then staying on continuously.

Thanks Colin, maybe there is something wrong? I'll have to check it out.
BTW my manual doesn't have that battery charge explanation in it - odd