DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   headphone jack problem on XH A1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/472317-headphone-jack-problem-xh-a1.html)

Stu Minnis February 5th, 2010 01:53 PM

headphone jack problem on XH A1

I have two XH A1 cameras. One is the original, and a more recent purchase is the XH A1s. I love the camera, but there's one thing that's very annoying that I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a solution to. Namely, both of them have very buggy headphone jacks. I've tried several different brands of headphones in them, but only one model has ever worked reliably and consistently, a Sony set that recently died on me for unrelated reasons.

Has anyone else had this problem? When I got the A1, I figured it was just a manky jack, but I had one set of headphones that worked, so I never got around to getting it fixed. But after buying the A1s with the exact same problem, I'm wondering if it's something weird about the jacks they use in this model?

Can anyone recommend a model of headphones that works just fine for them in the A1 and/or A1s?

My apologies if this is an already-covered topic. I tried searching for a previous thread, but the forum thread search was locking up when I tried.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Colin McDonald February 5th, 2010 02:28 PM

No probs with these

I've used several different headphones in mine, but have settled for Sennheiser HD25 Mkll Sennheiser | HD 25-1 II - Closed-Back Stereo | HD 25-1 II | B&H as they are an industry standard over here.

The only problem I've ever had was caused by plugging them in to the AV jack instead of the headphone output, but that only got me a loud buzzing in both ears until I realised what I had done. :-)

I have heard that some foks have found the jack socket an the XH-A1 can be damaged fairly easily and recommend the use of a short breakaway adaptor cable in case you snag the headphone cable on something while moving.

David Chilson February 6th, 2010 09:26 AM

I have used the same Sony 7506 headphones for three different A1's and one A1s and have never had any problems. And I have heard the same buzzing noise as Colin for the same reason. Ok, more than once.

Ken Wozniak February 7th, 2010 09:53 PM

<Ken shamefully raises his hand> Yeah...me too. I've plugged into the AV jack on accident. I think we ought to start a support group for that. ;-)

BTW, I've not had problems with headphones with my A1. Cheapies to studio models have worked well. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Jonathan Shaw February 8th, 2010 02:14 PM

Yep done that too.

However I use a pair a of crappy JVC headphones and I notice that they do cut out sometimes, however the signal when listening after does not. Scary the first time I shot a Wedding but now I know it all seams fine.

J

Allan Black February 9th, 2010 01:45 PM

I drilled a hole in the cap mainly to keep dust out of the ports and it supports the 7506 phone jack. I cover the hole with low rez tape when the cans are not in use.

Cheers.