DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   I'm Shooting a Music Video - Need Help! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/475265-im-shooting-music-video-need-help.html)

Jimmie Jackson March 21st, 2010 10:13 AM

I'm Shooting a Music Video - Need Help!

Hey all, I'm brand new to this forum but I already love it. You guys are all so helpful from what I've seen.

I'm shooting my first music video for a local college film competition and I just have a few questions. I'm using a Canon XH-A1. Ok so here's my question...if you were shooting this music video (lots of quick cuts and moving/jumping about) would you shoot it all in 60i? I plan on trying to do some slow motion sequences, and from what I've read in other forum posts it seems that I would.

My next question is exactly how I would go about creating good slow motion. I am using FCP and just doing the Command+J Speed entry is not very good. I do have Adobe After Effects, but I haven't been successful so far in trying to create good slow motion yet, so I would need pretty good and detailed instructions.

I really appreciate any help, I love this forum and from what I've seen the users of this forum is the best way to get the kind of camera help I need. Thanks!

David Chilson March 22nd, 2010 12:45 PM

60i is good. What version of AE?

Alex DeJesus May 19th, 2010 02:21 PM

Did you figure out the slow motion?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmie Jackson (Post 1503001)
Hey all, I'm brand new to this forum but I already love it. You guys are all so helpful from what I've seen.

I'm shooting my first music video for a local college film competition and I just have a few questions. I'm using a Canon XH-A1. Ok so here's my question...if you were shooting this music video (lots of quick cuts and moving/jumping about) would you shoot it all in 60i? I plan on trying to do some slow motion sequences, and from what I've read in other forum posts it seems that I would.

My next question is exactly how I would go about creating good slow motion. I am using FCP and just doing the Command+J Speed entry is not very good. I do have Adobe After Effects, but I haven't been successful so far in trying to create good slow motion yet, so I would need pretty good and detailed instructions.

I really appreciate any help, I love this forum and from what I've seen the users of this forum is the best way to get the kind of camera help I need. Thanks!

Just checking to see what you came up with for the slo-mo. Did you use After Effects?

Tim Glidewell May 19th, 2010 03:51 PM

Slow Motion

The optical flow feature in Motion would be a great way to get good slow motion clips. You can just round trip from FC to Motion. It will take a lot of processor and time to render, but I think you will be very happy with the results.

Jonathan Shaw May 19th, 2010 09:03 PM

If your into AE look up Andrew Kramer from video copilot... some awesome online free tutorials and I think there are a couple on speed changes etc.

Also FCP 7 has a heap better ramp / variable speed tool which works really well.

J