DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   24f footage playback (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/476685-24f-footage-playback.html)

Terry Lyons April 12th, 2010 02:18 PM

24f footage playback

Hi all, when I view 24f footage from the camera on a large flat screen hd tv it plays like it is in a type of slower motion and is very stuttery. When I watch movies that were shot on film in 24fps. they have very minimal stuttering. Will my stuttering go away when processed? Is this just how 24f video plays? I am trying to pick a style, I thought I liked 24f but the stuttering is getting anoying. I havent liked 60i but if there is a way to make its smoothness look more like 24fps in the movies that would be great. Is there some post processing I need to read about to help me?

Jay Bratcher April 14th, 2010 07:21 AM

Hi Terry -

Do you know what shutter speed the footage was shot at? Generally speaking, anything other than 1/48 with 24f will look wrong...

Terry Lyons April 14th, 2010 10:58 AM

Hi Jay, thanks for the reply. Yes it was shot at 1/48th of a second. I think part of the problem was just the tv. Possibly not as good as another. I viewed it on a sony bravia and it was a little better. But Im just not getting why in even very slow pans with 24f and 1/48th, which is what I have read is what you should shoot at, it is not any where close to the look you see on regular theatre movies. And I am talking just about the jittery motion you see in a pan. In a motion film their pans have very little of that. I am using a xha1. I guess I am just learning that I dont know much about video aquisition. Im even thinking about going back to 60i and trying to make that look good, and skipping the whole 24p thing. What do you think?

Jay Bratcher April 14th, 2010 07:27 PM

Well, I think 24f and 60i both have their places. I'm wondering if the motion issues are common on all 24 fps cameras though. I have access to a couple others, and can say that this issue is not unique to the XH A1. Anything you do to compensate will result in either blur (post processing or slower shutter speed, for example), or reducing the amount of motion between frames (this would include higher frame rates and slower pans). For what it's worth, this is a potential issue with time lapse video as well - if there is too much time between frames, your motion is not smooth. The solution for time lapse is either shorter intervals, or longer exposures.

I wanted to say HDV as a possible cause also, but looking at individual frames (in a pan shot with obvious motion problems) doesn't really show anything obvious, other than there is too much motion between frames.

This is an interesting problem - I would love to hear if any of the more seasoned veterans have any thoughts here...