New bag for XH-A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 18th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #1
Major Player

New bag for XH-A1

I'm looking to get a new bag to haul my XH-A1 - something I can use locally as well as travel with (and meet airline carryon rules). I've narrowed it down to the Petrol PDRB-3 and the Porta Brace DVO-1. Does anyone experience with either or both of these bags?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

For airline carry-on weights check carefully.

I have the Pelican 1510 case .. it's carry-on approved at 6.17kg and suits the A1 very well but .. the Qantas limit is 7kg. so with the A1 inside the 1510 is overweight. And the intention is to protect the A1.

Cheers.
Old April 19th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #3
Major Player

I checked the airline limits before I started my search. Starting with their limits in mind, and my needs, I've narrowed it down to the Petrol PDRB-3 and the Porta Brace DVO-1.
Old April 20th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #4
New Boot

Another Alternative - Kata HB-205

Well, just thought I would throw in another alternative. Kata HB-205. Fits everything I carry.
John Rappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 04:36 AM   #5
Major Player

I am not interested in this thread being hijacked into a discussion of everyone's favorite alternative. Please!
Old April 21st, 2010, 06:08 AM   #6
Major Player

I won't offer the case that I use to hijack your thread, but I will caution you that checking with the airlines on carry-on restrictions usually only gets you the dimensions for a full-size plane. Feeder or connection flights are typically a sub-contracted smaller carrier.

The CRJ and Embraer connection airplanes have no where near that much space on the floor-especially off the aisle, and the overheads are only suitable for a Snoopy lunch box.

Make sure you've explored that. When you're boarding the last flight to get to your shoot and suddenly you are forced to check your semi-rigid case because you're going into a smaller airport on a commuter plane and the case doesn't fit...it's not good.

I actually have a really small case that I use particularly for flying that is too small to work out of everyday, but I get my EX1 (batts, cards, mics) in the overhead on a CRJ (and my laptop/roller under the seat).

The petrol bag you reference is about the same outside dimensions as the bag I use locally...that I've found doesn't work very well on small planes (too long to get completely under the seat and too thick to get into the little overhead bin), and the Porta Brace case (I love Porta Brace stuff...it's all good) is substantially larger than that...I have doubts about getting that one under the seat on a 767 (the worst large airliner ever devised for cabin comfort) much less a commuter jet.

Maybe you live in a large metro area and only shoot in large metro areas and you never encounter anything smaller than a Southwest plane, which would make this point moot...

...but I thought it was worth bringing up. No hijacking intended.
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:00 PM   #7
Major Player

Those are helpful comments - thanks!
Old April 21st, 2010, 07:32 PM   #8
New Boot

Petrol PCCB-2N

Hey Stephen - I just got the Petrol PCCB-2N, XH-A1s and HV30 fits perfect with space for accessories. Not sure if it meets the airline standard, but its a great bag and less than 100 bucks from B&H.

Hope this helps, Cheers scon.
Stevie Scon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 07:58 PM   #9
Major Player

I give up. Is there a way to ask an administrator to close this thread?
Old April 21st, 2010, 08:42 PM   #10
New Boot

WoW

My first post didn't get off to a good start, must try harder next time :)
Stevie Scon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:45 PM   #11
Major Player

Maybe it's just me, but nothing written here came off as people hijacking the thread. It appeared to me to be people sincerely trying to offer suggestions to help.

If trying to help -- especially help coming from folks who have done research into bags for their A1's -- is not appreciated and you are "not interested" in what they have to say, then your response came off as quite rude. I'm sure sounding disrespectful to those trying to help was not your intention, right?
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 07:28 PM   #12
Major Player

Phil,

If I had just asked for suggestions for a bag, then the responses I received would have been helpful. However, I was very clear that I have narrowed my choices to 2 specific bags, and I am seeking feedback on those 2 specifc bags. My exact quote was "I've narrowed it down to the Petrol PDRB-3 and the Porta Brace DVO-1. Does anyone experience with either or both of these bags?"

Suggestions about other bags that I didn't ask about isn't responsive to my inquiry, and not at all helpful. If you consider me rude for expressing my frustration because people are choosing to ignore my actual question and instead offer advice on other bags, then I guess we have two different definitions of what is rude.

I have posted many other times on this and other forums (video editng, computer building, etc), sometimes asking for specific feedback and other times asking general questions. Most of them time, most of the people who respond pay attention to the question asked and try to be responsive to that question. However, there are people who ignore the specific question asked and instead use others threads as an opportunity to promote their favorite whatever. The "fanboys" that get into AMD ATI versus NVidia, or Mac versus PC, etc. are infamous for this behavior. I've had enough threads hijacked that I long ago lost patience with that behavior.

Look at this from my perspective. Four people (not counting you) replied to my post. Three of them suggested other bags that I'm not interested in. Only one of the posted was helpful. The fourth person gave some useful advice about airline carry-on restrictions - and based upon a bag that is similar in size to one I'm looking at. That post was helpful, and I acknowledged that.

I am not trying to be disrespectful to those who are genuinely trying to help. I am asking people to pay attention to the specifics in my post, and posts of others as well, and be responsive to what people are asking.
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:53 PM   #13
New Boot

Hi Stephen,

Please consider this is an open forum for all users. Anyone is entitled to start a conversation, I'm not sure it means they have ownership of it though. I stumbled on this thread after a Google search and found the Kata comment posted by John to be helpful.

To ask your colleagues for help and then question the manner in which it is given is arrogant and rude. Perhaps you could find an alternate forum if this this one does not meet your expectations.
Robert Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:52 AM   #14
Major Player

Robert,

I strongly disagree with your comments and the premise behind them. Had I asked a genral question, I would have expected and welcomed general comments. Had I asked for suggestions about a bag for the A1 that met airline carry-on rules, I would have expected and welcomed the comments I received.

However, I was ( I thought) very clear in my request for information and feedback - I was looking for feedback on two very specific bags. For others to think it appropriate to ignore my quesiton and instead offer suggestions on other bags in which I clearly was not interested is at best unresponsive. Most of the time people on this forum try to be responsive to the question posed. I don't consider it rude to ask that others do so as well. Accusing me of being arrogant and rude for asking that people respond to my actual post is rather bizarre.

Could a moderator please close this post? It is obvious that I am not getting feedback to my actual post, and this continued harrasment is not at all productive.

Stephen
Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:08 PM   #15
New Boot

Stephen - Which one did you go for in the end?
Stevie Scon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders