DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Suggestions for rolling tripod/tripod dolly combo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/477245-suggestions-rolling-tripod-tripod-dolly-combo.html)

George Dennis April 20th, 2010 10:38 AM

Suggestions for rolling tripod/tripod dolly combo

Hi all

Looking for suggestions for tripod/dolly combo or tripod with casters for one of our XHA 1's. Would like to keep it under 3-400 bucks. Should include a fluid head. Ideas? Opinions?
many thanks
George

Don Bloom April 20th, 2010 02:37 PM

While I know some folks here don't care for Bogen, their 3067 (Manfrotto 114) dolly wheels are quite good. 5 inch wheels, nice outriggers can take a single leg attachment althought there is a way to set it up for double foot legs. It's heavy has a large footprint and is about $315.00 at B&H.

As for tripods, well a decent fluid head is going to be more than $300 and decent legs at least that. I guess what I'm saying is 3 to 400 isn't going to get you there. Maybe try the big auction site that starts with E.

BTW, I use the 3067 (114) dolly, have for years and even though I customized it (cut it's footprint down quite a bit) it has never failed me and I've run rigs that go from about 8 pounds to almost 30.

George Dennis April 20th, 2010 03:10 PM

Thanks Don
I did have a spec sheet for what appeared to be a tripod on wheels for 3-400 but lost it. These are for in- house training videos so I don't need Scorsese grade stuff. Thanks for the suggestions. BTW should the quick connect tripod mount have come with our camera or would it come with the tripod, or would it a parts order from Canon?

Don Bloom April 20th, 2010 04:25 PM

The QR won't be a part of anything. It's a seperate piece(s) so you'd need to order it seperately.
The most common is the Bogen QR577 and the Bogen 3237? I forgot the number but the only difference is the length of the plate and the price of course.

If you don't need anything really great I suggest going to the B&H site and let your fingers do the walking. Bescor and Varizoom both have less expensive tripods Ithink they also have dolly wheels and I think Becor has a head. Won't be great but they are cheap.

If you're going for the less expensive legs and head I strongly advise getting some sort of LANC control if available to operate the camera as much as possible so you can keep your hands off it to help lessen vibration and shake.

Philip Younger April 21st, 2010 03:22 PM

I successfully used a typist chair with my Libec tripod strapped to it last week - much to the amusement of those around me but hey, it worked very well, very smooth cost me a length of velcro strap :-)

OK you've guessed I don't need a dolly very often (at all) and if you don't I thoroughly recommend the typist chair

Kevin Currie April 23rd, 2010 04:13 PM

I just got 1 of these from ebay.
Pro Heavy Duty Video Camera Photo Tripod Dolly

I haven't used it yet (hope to test it with the new jib this weekend) but it's sturdy, adjusts to fit any tripod, and folds down for easy carrying and storage.