DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Suggest On-camera Monitor for XHA1s? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/478548-suggest-camera-monitor-xha1s.html)

Alex DeJesus May 11th, 2010 10:09 PM

Suggest On-camera Monitor for XHA1s?

I am looking to buy a lightweight monitor, maybe 6" or 7", because I can't see very well with the tiny onboard flip-out. Do you have any suggestions? Which video connections are best to use?

Paul Mailath May 12th, 2010 07:08 AM

SmallHD - works great on the XH-A1

Peter Anastasopoulos June 12th, 2010 09:56 AM

HI Alex, there are expensive small monitors available for your task. I just wanted a cheap monitor to frame through while working. for $80 I picked up a dvd player with video in as a feature (there are many sizes of course to choose from). So if your on a tripod and not moving, it's great. If you want it fixed while having to be mobile, then there are plenty of professional little screens to choose from. Good luck.

Alex DeJesus June 13th, 2010 02:02 AM

Cheap won't do

I need a really good monitor because I can't see dammit anymore. I have a stigmatism that could end my career if it gets any worse. The tiny flip-out monitor is useless and I don't trust the viewfinder.

Danny Winn June 13th, 2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex DeJesus (Post 1525969)
I am looking to buy a lightweight monitor, maybe 6" or 7", because I can't see very well with the tiny onboard flip-out. Do you have any suggestions? Which video connections are best to use?

I bought a "Dynex" 15 inch, 720, 16:9 HD Monitor/TV at Best Buy for around $140, it has componant inputs that will allow you to use your HD cable that came with the XH A1s. It doesnt attach to the camera but you can simlpy set in right next to the camera, it sure has done the job for me.

Remember though, with this monitor and all others you will actually be filming slightly more than you are seeing in the monitor, so keep that in mind while filming. I wish Canon would just make it so what you see is what you get but I know many companies do this, don't ask me why.

Here's a link to that monitor: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26...01341&st=dynex 15 hd&contract_desc=null

Alex DeJesus June 14th, 2010 01:53 AM

Thanks Danny. I was thinking more in terms of a camera mounted monitor, 6" or so and lightweight. I willl look into the Dynex for other purposes, though

Kees van Duijvenbode June 16th, 2010 03:59 AM

I recently bought this one in The Netherlands. Don't know if you can buy it in the US. It also goes under the name CARUBA. But this is a hell of a HD monitor for a very nice price.

Dave Stern June 16th, 2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Mailath (Post 1526095)
SmallHD - works great on the XH-A1

I bought the small HD and it works great with the A1, it's an incredible monitor and I like the power option since the battery is slim and clips to the back of the monitor .. component out into the monitor.. looks great ...

only hitch with using the component out on the A1 is that the peaking must be a hardware function on the flip out LCD since the peaking isn't shown on the external monitor .. so when it's a concern, I use both, the flip out shows peaking (enough for me to adjust the aperature) and the external monitor shows me everything else .. kind of a pain but an acceptable trade-off (and on my A1, my component out is tied up for something else, but I suspect it would be the same, and the A1 doesn't have the SDI out)

noga arm from my tripod to the monitor, and smaller ball mount for the multi rig when I mount the A1 there ... if you want to mount it directly to the A1, I'd recommend a clamp on the handle to provide a 1/4 20 thread .. the hotshoe in my opinion may not be strong enough

hope this helps!

Alex DeJesus June 16th, 2010 03:20 PM

Paul and Dave, you are talking about the 7" SmallHD DP1? I saw that one online, thanks. It might still be a little heavy for me. I want to mount it to a Varizoom Media Rig or onto the camera. They are coming out with a 5.6" model designed for an DSLR. I'm hoping lighter weight and component in. On both models I like that the battery pack attaches to the monitor. They are both going for the same price, $899

Alex DeJesus June 16th, 2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees van Duijvenbode (Post 1538983)
I recently bought this one in The Netherlands. Don't know if you can buy it in the US. It also goes under the name CARUBA. But this is a hell of a HD monitor for a very nice price.

Kees, does that monitor have compnoent in?

Kees van Duijvenbode June 18th, 2010 01:24 AM

Yes. It has both component and HDMI in. I use the component in when I use it on my XHA1 and that shows a real nice and hi-res picture. Very usable for focussing and the rest.

Annie Haycock June 18th, 2010 02:37 AM

Has anyone tried the Lilliput monitors?

Car Computer - Lilliput 669GL-70NP/C - 7" HDMI monitor (non-touch scre

They seem to be cheap - specification and price comparable to the Coruba model mentioned by Kees.

Alex DeJesus June 18th, 2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees van Duijvenbode (Post 1539781)
Yes. It has both component and HDMI in. I use the component in when I use it on my XHA1 and that shows a real nice and hi-res picture. Very usable for focussing and the rest.

How do you connect component from XHA1s? what cable do you use?

Robert Wide June 18th, 2010 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees van Duijvenbode (Post 1539781)

Beste Kees, I saw this monitor too (Beetronics) and I read somewhere that it's made by Zeiss!! Nice to read that your confident with it!

Two compounded questions:
1. How do you fix the monitor to your camera (or tripod)? Is it light enough to put it on top of the camera with the Varizoom hot shoe connector? What do you do with the battery? Is the power cable long enough to screw the battery under the camera (tripod screw)?
2. Is the monitor durable (because of the low price compared to SmallHD) and good enough for focussing (which I would expect, it's HD after all!)

Groeten RW

Peter Anastasopoulos June 20th, 2010 08:40 AM

Hi Alex, on the XH you can use the Bnc connector switching the tiny switch to Video 2 or the stereo out cable switched to Video 1, and only use the Yellow RCA connector from that splitter cable which if you don't have will only cost you about $6. This cable gives you stereo out as well as the composite out you need. The switch is tiny on the back panel approx in the middle of that panel on the XH. Good luck.

Alex DeJesus June 20th, 2010 10:53 AM

Thanks Peter. The problem is those are not HD connections. Video 2 BNC and the yellow a/v are standard def. The only HD port is the HD/SD Component out. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Robert Wide June 21st, 2010 06:44 AM

Question for Kees van Duijvenbode

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Wide (Post 1540069)
Beste Kees, I saw this monitor too (Beetronics) and I read somewhere that it's made by Zeiss!! Nice to read that your confident with it!

Two compounded questions:
1. How do you fix the monitor to your camera (or tripod)? Is it light enough to put it on top of the camera with the Varizoom hot shoe connector? What do you do with the battery? Is the power cable long enough to screw the battery under the camera (tripod screw)?
2. Is the monitor durable (because of the low price compared to SmallHD) and good enough for focussing (which I would expect, it's HD after all!)

Groeten RW

Hi Kees, one other question: does the XHA1 send display information (zebra's, shutterspeed etc) to the external monitor when you use the composite. Peaking does't work I suppose?

Kees van Duijvenbode June 21st, 2010 06:48 AM

Yes it does. No, it doesn't. :-)
I will reply to your e-mail tonight.

Robert Wide June 21st, 2010 06:50 AM

Tx Kees!

RW

Scott Head October 13th, 2010 12:50 AM

What about Manhattan monitors. I have heard good things about them.

I too am looking for a reasonable 5-7" on-camera monitor. As a relative newbie to DV, I am learning as I go.

John D. Griffin February 14th, 2012 02:30 PM

Re: Suggest On-camera Monitor for XHA1s?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Stern (Post 1539095)
I bought the small HD and it works great with the A1, it's an incredible monitor and I like the power option since the battery is slim and clips to the back of the monitor .. component out into the monitor.. looks great ...

Dave, just picked up the SmallHD DP4 for my Canon XHA1s. What cable are you using to run from DP4 to the camera? None of their supplied cables do the job. Thanks.

John

Dave Stern February 14th, 2012 08:48 PM

hi John - I hope you enjoy your new monitor!! Mine is not the DP4, but is the older model which was larger and not sold anymore (DP1) .. that DP1 has analog component inputs, for which I use the large / bukly cable supplied with the XHA1 (fits on the custom connector output on the camera and terminates in component connectors) .. not sure what inputs are avail. on the DP4, so you may need a converter to convert analog outputs from the camera to HDMI for the monitor (trick will be finding one battery powered if you need that).. there's also the firewire out but I bet that's more difficult to deal with than the analog out (which is still a "HD" signal btw) .. good luck & post back what you do!

John D. Griffin February 15th, 2012 07:49 AM

Dave:
SmallHD told me to use the supplied DTC-1000 Canon cable with the D4 connector mated with their RCA cable via couplers which then plugs into the headphone jack of the DP4. My problem is that I can not shoot with 7' of cable dangling from the camera.
What I would like to know is if there is a 1' cable out there with a D4 connector (so it attaches to camera) on one end and a headphone connector on the other end. I am not to worried about the DP4 signal being HD. I just need the unit as a focusing aid. Does anyone know if such a cable exists? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

David Robinson April 18th, 2012 05:35 AM

What is the best option ( on a VERY low budget) for a monitor available in the UK please.

Stany Hermans April 18th, 2012 10:39 AM

This may be what you're looking for:
Lilliput UK · 569GL-50NP/HO/Y · 5 inch field monitor with HDMI and camera battery slot
Can be found on ebay around GBP 165.

Maurice Covington April 20th, 2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie Haycock (Post 1539795)
Has anyone tried the Lilliput monitors?

Annie,

my buddy ordered one of these and sent it back the same day. I'm guessing that he didn't do his homework to make sure that he had the correct connections. That being said, there are two options that I'd like to throw out there.

1. If you have limited movement and can charge the battery periodically, there is an 7" HD TV out there made by some company called AccessHD. This monitor if for a camera mount and even comes with the necessary accessaries for only about $50.00. It is great!!!!!!! My only issue with it is battery life and you can't add a larger battery that I am aware of.

2. You can try the 7" Marshall Monitor. I have nothing bad to say about this one except that I need two more.

Annie Haycock April 29th, 2012 05:44 AM

Hi Maurice

I did buy the Lilliput, and an external Lithium battery. The system works well, I had no problems once I had sorted out the colour connections - had to write to the seller to work that out. I can also use it with my Nikon D7000. Unfortunately I haven't had much time to devote to photography or videography lately - due to pressure of work, and am out of practice at it all. Been away for the last few weeks and forgot to take the LANC cable amongst other things!

But thanks for the suggestions - I'm sure others will find them useful.

Jase Tanner May 1st, 2012 08:55 AM

John

I had my DTC-1000 cable shortened to about a foot and then added the couplers and the RCA cable. Not exactly what you're looking for but a step in the right direction. With much of the bulk of the DTC-1000 no gone, its easy to coil both cables up and velcro it to the inside of this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/183476-REG/Mighty_Wondercam_Videosmith_R05_Aux_Box_for_Rover.html
The aux box also provides a mounting point for the monitor using the Small HD articulating arm

David Stembridge March 27th, 2013 08:50 PM

Jase, any details on who you had shorten your cable? I have a spare... considering giving it a try myself; but can't find any breakdowns on the cable itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jase Tanner (Post 1730751)
...I had my DTC-1000 cable shortened to about a foot and then added the couplers and the RCA cable....

Geoffrey Weglarz August 15th, 2013 05:15 PM

I too am looking to mount a monitor and use the component inputs. Any idea of somewhere to purchase a shorter cable or a place that might shorten it?

Jeremiah Rickert August 20th, 2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex DeJesus (Post 1539929)
How do you connect component from XHA1s? what cable do you use?

The camera should have come with that Component breakout cable.

Peter Adler August 23rd, 2013 04:01 AM

I was wondering if anyone can suggest a brand of on-cam monitors, other than Marshall, for which there are battery plates which will accept the battery packs for the XH A1 (G1)?

I know there are Canon BP970G battery plates for Marshall's V-mount system, but I'd like to find a cheaper on-cam monitor. The Marshalls are no doubt excellent but they're also quite expensive.

Thanks in advance!

Peter