DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HV30 as capture deck for XHA1s? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/479641-hv30-capture-deck-xha1s.html)

David Stembridge May 30th, 2010 02:50 PM

HV30 as capture deck for XHA1s?

The specs seem to match up, in fact, the HV30 exceeds in Megapixels...

Does anyone use this model to capture tapes from the XHA1s? I have a small dv consumer camcorder that I have used for several years for my XL1s, so it is just used for recording only.

Any other recommendations?
Thanks!

Michael Galvan May 30th, 2010 06:06 PM

The HV cameras are the perfect capture cams for the Canon XL/XH series cameras.

What's most important is that they read the Canon progressive F modes, so they will capture any mode that your camera will shoot.

Hope this helps.

Stevie Scon May 30th, 2010 07:25 PM

I use the HV30 to capture from my XH A1s, no problems to report.

David Stembridge May 31st, 2010 06:57 PM

all righty,
thank you guys!

Peter Anastasopoulos June 11th, 2010 09:55 AM

HV30 as capture deck for XHA1s (is this for play back?)

hi guys, could someone educate me as to this technique? Is the HV30 used as a playback deck? I'm looking at finding what else I need as to not use my XHA1 for play back, or am I missing the point here?

Panagiotis Raris June 11th, 2010 10:13 AM

the idea is to save the wear on the XH heads, so it would be advisable to use the HV30 as both a capture and playback deck.

or pick up a used firestore, datavideo DN-60, or sony mrc1 firewire recorder and go tapeless.

Chris Hurd June 11th, 2010 10:26 AM

The idea isn't really to "save wear on the heads" -- you could use the XH for playback every day and not adversely affect the tape playback heads. The notion that you shouldn't use the XH as a playback deck is a complete myth. Instead, the real advantage of using an HV camcorder as a playback deck is to keep your XH free for shooting -- because it's not earning if it's not shooting.

Panagiotis Raris June 11th, 2010 11:25 AM

perhaps, but i had to pay for the heads on an old minolta camera to be replaced/serviced, and it was not cheap.

ive gone tapeless anyways, so its a non-issue for me.

Peter Anastasopoulos June 11th, 2010 08:36 PM

Thanks Chris, excellent point. Panagiotis, I didn't even think of tape less when I was shopping, Getting over the 1H limit would be great for some jobs, I will definitely keep an eye out for solutions as they are posted. Thanks again guys.

Martyn Hull June 12th, 2010 02:05 AM

The HVs are no slouches as far as recording their own footage either.

Alex DeJesus June 14th, 2010 03:00 PM

HDMI port?

I don't know how true this is, but I saw in another forum post that the HV has HDMI output. That would be good if you use a box like the Matrox MX02 for capture and you don't want to use firewire. If anyone can verify this, please let me know.

Maurice Covington November 10th, 2010 01:54 PM

The HV30 MiniDV does have HDMI.